New single?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: New single?

Postby Chad on Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:01 pm

ah simon... you're so pissed you had to post twice. I agree that I'm down on his new stuff and this thread is about the new single, right?. But get real though ... his music has become very negative. Snivelling whining... 6itch and moan stuff for the most part. misery breeds misery.

Like I said in a previous post, compare this single to world citizen. His vocals are very frail and weak. The production is thin and almost monotone. what the f:ck happened? I actually think theres a decent single buried somewhere in the half-assedness.

I miss this guy -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OydTrKyZWhw
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Stephenf on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:28 pm

Like I said in a previous post, compare this single to world citizen. His vocals are very frail and weak. The production is thin and almost monotone. what the f:ck happened? I actually think theres a decent single buried somewhere in the half-assedness.

My own opinion is that the vocal is deliberate, it is what it is and as you call it 'frail and weak'. We all age and i think he just exposed that element of himself, the production is fine and again very deliberate, no cover ups on that score either.

You either want to listen or not.

And what would a decent half- assedness single do for his career at this stage?
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:27 pm

Stephenf wrote:My own opinion is that the vocal is deliberate, it is what it is and as you call it 'frail and weak'. We all age and i think he just exposed that element of himself, the production is fine and again very deliberate, no cover ups on that score either.

My opinion is exactly the same. To my ears this is one of the finest things he's ever produced.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Stephenf wrote:And what would a decent half- assedness single do for his career at this stage?

What exactly are you saying here? half-assedness does nothing for me.

From the opening line of the song I hear nothing but sadness, powerless defeatism, self pity. All places I would rather not go to.

the 10" format is a waste. He could have put another 20 minutes of music of it. It would have made a nice 7" $10 single.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:00 pm

Chad wrote:What exactly are you saying here? half-assedness does nothing for me.

He was quoting you, Chad.
Chad wrote:Like I said in a previous post, compare this single to world citizen. His vocals are very frail and weak. The production is thin and almost monotone. what the f:ck happened? I actually think theres a decent single buried somewhere in the half-assedness.
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Fire Rose 45 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:23 pm

Well, David may be getting older, but he still beats a lot of what's going around being called music this day and time. For instance, have you seen the new Dell computers commercial where some putz is plunking two notes on a guitar and trying (emphasis on trying) to sing Jay and the Americans' "This Magic Moment"? :shock: Puhleeze! Everytime that thing comes on I can't mute it or change the channel fast enough. I've seen children with toy instruments on Christmas morning that sound better. Or as one listener put it, "It makes me want to drive a screw driver into my ears". For my money David still puts most of them to rest and they could learn at his feet. :-)
"The question that sometimes makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" -- Albert Einstein

"This band is perfect - just don't scratch the surface." -- Duran Duran
Fire Rose 45
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby hego on Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:03 pm

hego
Regular
Regular

Postby Chad on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:58 am

Wow that ghostwriter thing is cool. Steve Wilson never sleeps.

I'm not sure if David beats anything right now :) That bad vocal performance would have never been used in the past. He would have worked it to perfection before it had seen the light of day. I think the wounded artist thing has run its course. I mean he's been separated/divorced for almost ten years now? Enough already.

Time to pick up the phone and call some real musicians. Throw Keith Rowe and Dai Fukareno on the wood pile and get to work.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:11 pm

I was thinking maybe you should give David a call, and propose to be his manager. You'd show him the right way, heal his back and fix his marriage. And if Big Bad Dave got lost down a difficult path you'd be there to throw in the towel.
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby hitch on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:36 pm

i think Chad is troll.
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby natsume on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:50 pm

I agree. Don't feed the troll.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:40 am

I don't think he's a troll. I just think he's someone who no longer enjoys Sylvian's musical output and is holding out in the off chance that David releases another Secrets of The Beehve. As for the comments about sylvian's vocals on Do You Know Me Now? ...I happen to think its a quite beautiful release and I'd be delighted if Sylvian released a whole album of short melodic tracks of this nature. His vocal is different yes but I think he sounds much more listen-able on this single than the monotone of Manafon.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nicrobliz on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:37 pm

Simonp wrote:As for the comments about sylvian's vocals on Do You Know Me Now? ...I happen to think its a quite beautiful release and I'd be delighted if Sylvian released a whole album of short melodic tracks of this nature. His vocal is different yes but I think he sounds much more listen-able on this single than the monotone of Manafon.

Couldn't agree more.
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Simonp wrote:I'd be delighted if Sylvian released a whole album of short melodic tracks of this nature.

That would be nice.

Back to the single: considering the lyrics of a song like Where's Your Gravity? and all that screaming in the background, wouldn't it be rather inconsistent if the vocals were "perfect"? A song is more than the quality of the recording, methinks; the performance (as in: 'interpretation', 'representation', 'acting it out') of the vocals and the music, is what makes a song special. Or not.

P.S. I'm sure it took David more than one take to achieve what we hear on the single. This delivery is what he had in mind from the start, and he worked on it till it was "perfect" for the project.
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:48 am

inkinthewell wrote:P.S. I'm sure it took David more than one take to achieve what we hear on the single. This delivery is what he had in mind from the start, and he worked on it till it was "perfect" for the project.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one ink. I dont think his hearts been in it for a while now. The k-watt thing was a good example of being checked out while sitting in the drivers seat. His mind has been elsewhere. And maybe thats not such a bad thing for him right now. And maybe thats enough for the few hundred or so you willing to follow in earnest.

I keep kidding you all about the collectors club business model. But that is the reality of the situation right now. Bill Nelsons been doing this for a few years now. It seems to work for him. But being asked to buy-in prior to the release can be sometimes be rewarding but more often not. It just reinforces complacency & half-assedness.

You posed a good question ink, if you were his manager what would you advise him to do at this point? With one degree separation or less he could be in touch with a wide range of musicians & artists. His influence is far reaching. It would be easy to rattle off an array of musicians...starting with a good drummer. :)

But If I were David I would get an apartment in the city, an easy commute to New Hampshire. Get out and meet some people, break free from the isolation he's imposed on himself. Feel the beat of the city, engage in the human race again.... thats what I would advise him to do. The rest will take care of itself.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work