New single?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: New single?

Postby Six One Cynic on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:50 pm

Six One Cynic
Regular
Regular

Postby pinenut on Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:18 pm

a beautiful track indeed.
pinenut
Regular
Regular

Postby qdes on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:19 pm

Oh. Love, love, love it.
qdes
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:33 am

Have listened to it a few times...I like it. Quite a minor, bit of a track in that not a whole lot happens. I am surprised that he is still making direct references to his divorce at this late stage as well...would have thought (hoped) that he has moved on by now. Although, perhaps the "you don't know me now" is a reference to how much he has changed since then. Anyway...nice track which reminds me a bit of the exit/delete track from a few years ago...same lilting acoustic guitar feel.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:26 am

Tin Bird wrote:Have listened to it a few times...I like it. Quite a minor, bit of a track in that not a whole lot happens. I am surprised that he is still making direct references to his divorce at this late stage as well...would have thought (hoped) that he has moved on by now. Although, perhaps the "you don't know me now" is a reference to how much he has changed since then. Anyway...nice track which reminds me a bit of the exit/delete track from a few years ago...same lilting acoustic guitar feel.

Well, in all fairness, you don''t know when he first wrote those lyrics... Might have been during the writing of Blemish and decided the song simply didn't fit the album concept.
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:06 am

Of course that's true...but, to release it now would suggest that he views the track as relevant to now...wouldn't it? Or, as you suggest, it may have been a leftover sentiment that he finally found time to complete. Would be interesting to know...considering that Blemish was released 10 years ago it would seem odd to me that he was still working on tracks from that period...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:22 pm

One other quick thought on the new single release...what's w the vinyl deal? I am aware that there is a bit of a nostalgic resurgence going on...a brand new record store just opened last year in my home town(!) But, I don't know anyone who still owns a turntable..I certainly don't...and I have been collecting all of my music on CD for the past 30 years. I do not usually download music because typically it isn't as high quality as CD. I know FLAC files supposedly are, but to listen to them, I have to burn them to CD anyway as the speakers on my computer mostly suck. Anyway...not hip to the tip on the vinyl/download deal and wish it was being released on CD as well.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby pinenut on Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:34 pm

regarding the lyrics, rather than referring to his divorce are they not a direct reference to the details he was given to write the track about

see below from the link

A number of musicians were given, with the consent of those using the phone, anonymously recorded telephone conversations from a booth housed in a homeless centre in the centre of Cologne, from which to construct a composition of their choosing incorporating the text either directly or indirectly as each participant saw fit.

The resulting work was played back in specially designed listening booths in the museum itself. The conversations that david received resulted in the song “Do You Know Me Now?”
pinenut
Regular
Regular

Postby Tin Bird on Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:30 pm

Well that is pretty cool if it all came from a random phone conversation...thanks for clearing that up, must have missed that explanation text in my excitement to listen to the track. I would still say though with it being David, I would be surprised if he didn't include some of his own words...could be wrong though...who knows. What a neat and wacky concept for writing a song! :-)
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby pradakid900 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:22 pm

All I can say is...Wow. What a great moment this is. I so love that honeymoon phase of knowing a song, that period just after you have really come to get it and appreciate it and can't stop listening to it but way before you become overly-familiar. Everytime after I play Do You Know Me Now I know I can listen to something else, turn it off or repeat, and I can't do anything but repeat after each listening..dozens of times over! I just can't stop. I don't care what my neighbors think; they are just going to have to experience it with me, I guess. And with a signed copy of the vinyl on reserve as well as awating delivery of the abandon/hope photo exhibit book set (in the mail now) the moment is further intensified and elongated. It's Indian summer here in the northern California region, and as the music plays the sun comes through the blinds and the winds wind through the entire house as the scent of incense perfumes the air. But the richest thing of all is the sound that is emenating from the stereo speakers. That's the cream of the cream, making me feel that funny, light feeling in my stomach every moment that I listen.

Do You Know Me Now I just can't get enough. That's definitely Dave playing his red guitar with such a deft accompaniment - horns, strings, electronics...bells...rising and falling in just the right places. To me it really conjures a powerful Southwestern imagery with all the bright and muted colors of the landscape and sky that come with. What a sad, beautiful, powerful and poetic piece this is. Which is better - the words, music or vocal delivery? They are all equally superior, in theme and telling of the tale. I think it is quite deep and definitely auto-biographical for David lyrically, and though the original impedus was recordings of random phone conversations, each artist was free to incorporate these elements in either direct or indirect ways, so free license is given and we may never know the degree of influence the recordings had. It does remind me in flashes of parts of Beehive. I'm sure he released it beyond the installation for us, the fans. That last line is the saddest and most naked of all to me....reminiscent of: Is our love strong enough?

I did not purchase the Victim of Stars and I never got Where's Your Gravity, so it's an added bonus for me now. Gorgeous track in many facets, has a divine and wicked sense of humor like a Lubitsch film from the early thirties. But nowhere as haunting or deep as the a-side, though I think it a warm, funny, yet biting piece that I will come to often. Vocal delivery is a great match to the sentiment of the song and a nice foil to the a-side.

I'm glad I did get a turntable recently and have been recollecting new and reinvigorating old vinyl, and this is such a welcomed release and I look forward to the warmth of vinyl for these tracks, but I was wondering if the applied "scratches" used in Where's Your Gravity would be dropped since the record would acquire its own.

My friend Melissa is now totally addicted to these songs. New fan made. Just loving it!
pradakid900
Regular
Regular

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:56 am

pradakid...your excitement is infectious and delightful. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :D
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:38 pm

Gotta say, been listening to this song quite a bit over the past couple of days and it has really grown on me. I really like it a lot... and just ordered it! :D Will be my third Sylvian autograph as well...limited edition Manafon, signed Slow Fire tour program (when I met him in DC)...trying to think if I have others... :)
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby after the bullfight on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:56 am

I really like some of these one-off single projects he engages in : transit, messenger, nothing is happening everywhere, world is everything (perhaps this is more clearly linked to other work) and the new single are all tracks I listen to a lot.

Has anyone worked out the other lyrics? Still can't work out what's happening to the hornets in the heads of cattle!
after the bullfight
Noob
Noob

Postby Chad on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:54 am

thanks for the link six one.

nice sonics. good lyrics. the vocals are annoyingly thin. photoshop artwork; what happened to chris bigg? good but not a $35 track.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:15 pm

I agree that the $35 price tag was a bit high. It is signed and limited edition though... I have no problem w the art work...think it looks kind've cool. Have no idea how you can tell it's Photoshopped from just looking at a small JPEG file...?
Honestly, the last release "Wandermüde" "Sleepwalkers", and "Died in the Wool" (esp. didn't like this cover) art work definitely didn't do anything for me, so I'm kind've pleased that he's trying something new.
All that said, I agree that $35 for a 10" record is a bit high. I just happen to really like the track so that's why I bought it. Would not just have bought it for collecting purposes otherwise.
Have to be honest, have never listened all the way through of Died in the Wool and didn't even purchase Uncommon Deities..sacrilege for a Sylvian fan I know! :lol:
I hear you about price...I was interested in the Abandon/Hope book, but that price was way to exorbitant to me.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work