New Syl Fan?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

New Syl Fan?

Postby Fire Rose 45 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Recently I was conducting business over the phone, and the lady I was talking to asked me who my favorite singer is. This is one of the security questions I have with this company to access my account. I replied David Sylvian. She said, "Who? I don't think I've ever heard of him." I replied, "Well, you owe it to yourself to check it out. You might start with YouTube. He has the voice of an angel." She thanked me and said she would look into it. :)
"The question that sometimes makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" -- Albert Einstein

"This band is perfect - just don't scratch the surface." -- Duran Duran
Fire Rose 45
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: New Syl Fan?

Postby Chad on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:15 pm

yeah... so what would you pick out for her to listen to first?

manafon or world citizen?
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Fire Rose 45 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:12 pm

I would want her to hear "Thaltheim", "Waterfront" and "Damage" first. I think they are Sylvian at his best.
"The question that sometimes makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" -- Albert Einstein

"This band is perfect - just don't scratch the surface." -- Duran Duran
Fire Rose 45
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Simonp on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:46 am

I'd suggest she start with Died In The Wool and work her way back through his catalogue although she should probably not listen to "When We Return..." as her first experience of his instrumental work and start with Steel Cathedrals
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:46 am

I'd suggest she start with Died In The Wool and work her way back through his catalogue although she should probably not listen to "When We Return..." as her first experience of his instrumental work and start with Steel Cathedrals
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:17 am

waterfront is a great choice. I would add songs like let the happiness in, darkest dreaming and wave. If she were into jazz I would recommend things like before the bullfight, wonderful world or the early Jon Hassell tracks weathered wall/brilliant trees.

I think trying to convince or convert someone using manafon or blemish would have the exact opposite effect. If I were force to pick something from those sets it would be the more focused cuts like certain slant or fire in the forest. Sleepwalkers is a pretty well thought collection.
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:27 am

Chad wrote:waterfront is a great choice. I would add songs like let the happiness in, darkest dreaming and wave. If she were into jazz I would recommend things like before the bullfight, wonderful world or the early Jon Hassell tracks weathered wall/brilliant trees.

I think trying to convince or convert someone using manafon or blemish would have the exact opposite effect. .

So you're saying that a newcomer to Sylvian would not enjoy Manafon or Blemish...isn't this somewhat presumptuous?
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:20 am

If the purpose was to turn a newcomer on to Sylvian, I would choose tracks like: Orpheus, Blackwater, September, Ride, Fire in the Forest, Darkest Dreaming, Wanderlust...etc. The more accessible stuff. Honestly, as much as I love Blemish and much of his instrumental work, Manafon, Died in the Wool...etc are very challenging records for the avg. uninitiated person to tackle. I do not think most folks would fall in love with Sylvian if the first track they heard by him was Small Metal Gods or The Rabbit Skinner.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:29 pm

But if the newcomer to Sylvian's world should happen to love experimental music, maybe it would turn her/him off to listen to the early stuff.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:50 pm

I suppose that is possible. Honestly, I think his songs are so beautiful and perfect, I just can't see how anyone would not fall in love with them though.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby dylan kerr on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:42 am

i did the same to a new friend in south africa
she now is a fully appreciated Sylvian fan and loves his music
the first song i told her to listen was Blackwater and then pocketful of change finishing with september
dylan kerr
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Solo Work