David's facebook page

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

David's facebook page

Postby silentwings on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:43 am

David's facebook page was updated yesterday with details of the Abandon/Hope exhibitions.

Unfortunately, amongst some of the comments then posted, there were some quite aggressive in nature, negatively commenting on the concept and David's direction. This morning, David's facebook page appears to have been taken down.

I continue to be fascinated by David's work as I know many others do. I do hope that this negativity does not impact David's creative output. Yes, he has often challenged me, but that's an essential part of the fascination and experience. I feel so much richer for that challenge.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: David's facebook page

Postby Simonp on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:29 am

I think it's dreadful the crap people post on his page. Sylvian must despair when he reads it. Really sad
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:57 am

Here is the post from facebook which has been taken down now:

"david sylvian : abandon / hope

to live without hope is to live in the present

"I'd begun to consider what it means to dwell in a state of hopelessness. That is, to attempt to live without submitting to the impulse to project possible outcomes resulting from one's actions. To work fully committed to the present moment, to seek solutions, to treat others with dignity and compassion whatever the circumstances. Hope does tend to get in the way in this respect as it takes you out of the present towards an idealised or preferred outcome. Or, if a better outcome isn't imaginable, if the situation appears without merit, it can lead to inertia, inaction. To live without hope but without a loss of love for, and commitment to life this, it seems to me, is perhaps a good place from which to start."

david sylvian 2009

In Japan this summer there will be two, simultaneously held, photographic exhibitions by David Sylvian. 'Abandon' will open in Tokyo on the July 22nd at Spiral Garden. The second, Hope, opens on July 20th in an abandoned building located in the port town of Uno (Okayama) as part of the Setouchi International Art festival 2013.

The current details are as follows:

abandon / hope
from 22nd July - 29th July
Spiral Garden, Tokyo, Japan

abandon / hope
from 20th July - 1st September
Uno (Okayama), Japan. Commissioned by the Setouchi International Art festival 2013 (setouchi triennale).

the project "abandon/ hope" also incorporates two especially commissioned sound installations, curated by david, as part of the Setouchi Art Festival 2013.

The sound installation is divided into two sections: 1) a composition by Taylor Deupree, entitled 'Too Close To Being Far Away From Everything'. This can be heard via a playbutton (MP3 player) for rent or purchase from the mobile Kiosk in Uno. 2) A reading of various quotations by several famous philosophers broadcast by loudspeaker from the mobile KIOSK.

for further information contact : contact@eyesencia.com"
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:03 am

silentwings wrote:David's facebook page was updated yesterday with details of the Abandon/Hope exhibitions.
Unfortunately, amongst some of the comments then posted, there were some quite aggressive in nature, negatively commenting on the concept and David's direction. This morning, David's facebook page appears to have been taken down.

I continue to be fascinated by David's work as I know many others do. I do hope that this negativity does not impact David's creative output.

I would hope that such 'negativity' would only serve to make stronger Sylvian's tendencies to challenge his listening audience. Though I must admit that I am not all that comfortable with this action of taking down a webpage when negative comments are made. To me, it comes across as somewhat weak. Such stifling of opinion (no matter how narrow minded in scope and crude in expression those opinions may be) could easily be construed as a form of wilting under pressure.
I am always impressed that Sylvian is bold enough to challenge the listeners and alienate those who are the most conservative-minded when it comes to the music. Yet I would be even more impressed if he'd be bold enough to allow the reactions of these troglodytes to remain as written, in an even greater display of defiance to the illogical line of thought that the artist is expected to cater to the tastes of the audience. Erasing the negative comments gives far too much weight to those who made them, as if they possibly got through and touched a nerve with their level of crudeness. Allowing the comments to stand would merely diminish them and dismiss those who made them. Their lack of sophistication is clearly shown by the low level of discourse.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:22 am

The problem, Baht, is that the negativity towards Sylvian and his work is relentless these days. It doesn't matter what he posts or does. There is a group of people who clearly have nothing better to do than troll his page and criticise any new work he releases before its even been released. It's really strange why people feel the need to invest all their energies into being negative about an artist and his work. If it offends them so much why not go do something a bit more constructive...like finding an artist whose work they do enjoy?

With regards to Abandon/Hope the short introduction written for the exhibition appears to have been written in 2009 which suggests this project has been gestating since then? I don't care what anyone else says, I love his photographic work and hope that some of it will appear in the new Chris Bigg designed book due out in a couple of months
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby hego on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:47 pm

The problem, Baht, is that the negativity towards Sylvian and his work is relentless these days

So true, a great pitty it is.
hego
Regular
Regular

Postby Chad on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:15 am

Did anybody grab a copy of the comments? :) That would be interesting read for me.

There are a lot of unhappy campers I'm afraid. I know you guys dont agree but to a lot of faithful long time fans these random one-off projects seem like a waste of time. Whether it be the fennesz/mathieu or these exhibits, they're are isolated to particular locations. Not real satisfying when you live in toledo or slough.

His fans are just anxious for him to put out some quality uplifting music thats all. We've had enough of the downer trek. Let the happiness in already
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:22 am

Chad wrote:Did anybody grab a copy of the comments? :) That would be interesting read for me.

There are a lot of unhappy campers I'm afraid. I know you guys dont agree but to a lot of faithful long time fans these random one-off projects seem like a waste of time. Whether it be the fennesz/mathieu or these exhibits, they're are isolated to particular locations. Not real satisfying when you live in toledo or slough.

His fans are just anxious for him to put out some quality uplifting music thats all. We've had enough of the downer trek. Let the happiness in already

These random one off projects seems like a waste of time...to who exactly? Certainly not to me. I love his photographic work and will lap up any exhibitions he's involved in no matter how infrequent they are. I live in the Scottish Highlands - don't mean I can't enjoy or appreciate his glowing enigmas japanese exhibition? Thanks to the internet we have greater access to these one off projects.

His fans might be anxious for him to put more music out. That I can understand. But there are a considerable amount of these people who are behaving no better than internet trolls.

i wonder if the fans might appreciate that Sylvian may never release 'quality uplifting' music again? I would've thought by now it was apparent that a) Sylvian does not pander to his fans and b) he has no desire to write Gentlemen Take Polaroids again
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Chad wrote:There are a lot of unhappy campers I'm afraid. I know you guys dont agree but to a lot of faithful long time fans these random one-off projects seem like a waste of time. Whether it be the fennesz/mathieu or these exhibits, they're are isolated to particular locations. Not real satisfying when you live in toledo or slough.

Have you and these 'faithful long time fans' ever given the slightest bit of consideration that taking part in these "random one-off" projects is actually "real satisfying" to David Sylvian?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chad on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm sure you're right Baht. But he commits a tremendous amount of time for such a little return. The backlash wouldn't be near as bad if he hadn't already burned so much time on 2 compilations, 2 manafons and 3 blemishes. Artists need to be artists but at some point you have to pay the bills. What you see as selling out is really just taking care of the core business that you've spent you're entire life building up. It's just common sense. Samadahi is on its last leg now. When is it okay to move on and try something new?
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Blemished on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:01 pm

I just despair of these people. They clearly have no real respect for David and his work; they seem to view him as some kind of performing monkey who's there to recreate whatever tickles their fancy.

Taking the page down does seem an over-reaction. Why respond to the idiots? I'm quite surprised that he would think of reading the stream of banality that are most facebook comments.

As far as musical preferences go, each to their own. But what right does anyone have to expect David (or anyone) to do their bidding if he's not interested? Just move on.

Very few people sustain long musical careers. let alone forty-year ones like David's. There are two approaches - find a formula and stick to it - keep entertaining the same old punters, the same old way - or progress and develop. And it's very hard to sustain the latter approach as most people run out of ideas. David's a very rare and special artist that has kept on progressing and pushing into new ground. Even if you don't like where he is now, that still deserves and warrants respect.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Simonp on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:03 pm

Chad wrote:I'm sure you're right Baht. But he commits a tremendous amount of time for such a little return. The backlash wouldn't be near as bad if he hadn't already burned so much time on 2 compilations, 2 manafons and 3 blemishes. Artists need to be artists but at some point you have to pay the bills. What you see as selling out is really just taking care of the core business that you've spent you're entire life building up. It's just common sense. Samadahi is on its last leg now. When is it okay to move on and try something new?

Little return...it's not all about financial return? And have you seen Samadhisounds balance sheet or are you just basing your prediction that Samadhi is "on its last leg" because its now only going to release works by Sylvian? Yes what you say is right that Sylvian needs to pay the bills but perhaps he has other financial means to pay the mortgage etc
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:13 am

Good to see David's Facebook page online again...

Curious about the name of his latest 'group' - The Kilowatt Hour, appears there is already a band of this name doing the rounds in Portland, US.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby SomeAre on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:28 pm

silentwings wrote:David's facebook page was updated yesterday with details of the Abandon/Hope exhibitions.

I continue to be fascinated by David's work as I know many others do. I do hope that this negativity does not impact David's creative output. Yes, he has often challenged me, but that's an essential part of the fascination and experience. I feel so much richer for that challenge.

If he cannot face up to the music of online criticism, it's better for him to opt out of social medias.
SomeAre
Noob
Noob

Return to Solo Work