The internet and trolls...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

The internet and trolls...

Postby Simonp on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:53 pm

Sylvian just posted a rather nice statement on his Facebook page about the release of Amplified Gesture then half an hour later chose to remove it. The reason? Some dickhead immediately commented about Sylvian's titles for his work being off putting and told Sylvian to get a grip. The lovely chap said he "started to lose interest" when Sylvian used titles such as Alchemy - An Index of Possibilities. I don't get it, if you've lost interest why post something like that. Why waste your time and energy on something if you are no longer interested in it?
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: The internet and trolls...

Postby dconnery1966 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:35 pm

Yip seems to be part and parcel of life nowadays Simon unfortunately :(

Hey Simon just noticed youv'e got 666 posts now :lol:

All the best Dougie :D
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:25 pm

Simon, I saw that too... David seems to have been interacting a little more personally on the facebook page of late - something I appreciate and I do hope that this does not cause him to withdraw. Personally, I like his use of language, which I find very evocative... ...and I'm looking forward to the new Amplified Gesture.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:37 am

dconnery1966 wrote:
Hey Simon just noticed youv'e got 666 posts now :lol:

Yikes...never spotted that Dougie lol
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:40 am

silentwings wrote:Simon, I saw that too... David seems to have been interacting a little more personally on the facebook page of late - something I appreciate and I do hope that this does not cause him to withdraw. Personally, I like his use of language, which I find very evocative... ...and I'm looking forward to the new Amplified Gesture.

Hi Silent

i don't think anything he said was particularly high brow or wordy - in fact it was a good attempt at why Amplified Gesture is being released in its own right. It's a shame that someone feels the need to post on his page comments such as "I lost interest..." I hope David continues to post individual messages and interact with his fans
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:06 pm

Simonp wrote:Sylvian just posted a rather nice statement on his Facebook page about the release of Amplified Gesture then half an hour later chose to remove it. The reason? Some dickhead immediately commented about Sylvian's titles for his work being off putting and told Sylvian to get a grip. The lovely chap said he "started to lose interest" when Sylvian used titles such as Alchemy - An Index of Possibilities. I don't get it, if you've lost interest why post something like that. Why waste your time and energy on something if you are no longer interested in it?

I wonder what's his opinion on a title like Ghosts (that should have scared him off!). And what about Gentlemen Take Polaroids, ffs?
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:18 pm

Missed the original FB post... If anyone can remember it, could they perhaps paraphrase/post it here?

Greetings from the Dutch mountains
Sven
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:58 am

This was the post that was removed:

David Sylvian
David on Amplified Gesture:

"Phil was commissioned to make the film but his knowledge of the subject matter was a little sketchy to say the least so the project was something of an exciting learning curve for him. I thought this might prove to be a blessing of sorts because the aim of producing the documentary was to introduce a potentially new audience to the working philosophies of the practitioners of free improvisation (hence the subheading of the film) in effect mirroring Phil's own growing awareness of his subject matter. As the DVD's first outing was as a bonus feature attached to the manafon album (not a 'making of' by any means but an anticipation of questions that might arise on listening to the work) we were undoubtedly going to be introducing these musicians and their discipline to virgin ears. Nick Luscombe brought with him his personal knowledge of the genre and a set of questions we hoped might help shed light on why these musicians chose to take the road less travelled. There isn't, to my knowledge, a comprehensive film on this subject, these musicians, the history of free improvisation as seen through the eyes/ears of its european practitioners. It's a unique branch of the evolution of free jazz through to free improv, a story that's not adequately been told on film. We attempt to touch upon the opening of the East to these influences and the significant impact artists such as Otomo Yoshihide and Toshi Nakamura have had upon the scene and how that exchange broadens the conversation, contributing to an ongoing evolution of ideas. As i said, AG can in no way be seen as comprehensive, rather, it's simply an introduction to a much larger overview of the history of the genre which I hope someone will one day find the means to produce however, i did keep in mind the notion that this documentary might have a life of its own, removed from the context of Manafon, might just turn up on cable or late night TV somewhere at some point in time, and in that sense it had to stand strong independently, hopefully whetting the appetites of those that tuned in to learn more. Although still producing outstanding work, some of the best of their respective careers, a number of the musicians featured in the film are in the september of their years. Here was an opportunity to record them speaking intimately about their work that I felt we couldn't afford to miss. I only wish we'd had the means to do more."

david sylvian dec '12
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby billster on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:28 am

David's words are hardly high falutin'. Compared to some of his e-mail interviews, this is positively common people. He even calls the director 'Phil'.
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:28 am

silentwings wrote:"As the DVD's first outing was as a bonus feature attached to the manafon album (not a 'making of' by any means but an anticipation of questions that might arise on listening to the work) we were undoubtedly going to be introducing these musicians and their discipline to virgin ears. [...] As i said, AG can in no way be seen as comprehensive, rather, it's simply an introduction to a much larger overview of the history of the genre which I hope someone will one day find the means to produce..."

Even if I was to agree that 'Amplified Gesture' is a pompous title, Sylvian's words would just make me become aware of the worthiness of the whole thing. That "lovely chap" (as Simonp put it :) ) would have done much better to just shut up instead of writing such mindless rubbish.

Having read DS's post (thanks silentwings), I'm going back on my "no no no I'm not gonna get this 'coz I've already got it on the flippin' Manafon deluxe edition"-decision and order it straight away. Efforts like these need to be supported.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:54 pm

Well said inkinthewell. I think David's words reveal a real generosity of spirit, which I appreciate.

'Amplified Gesture' has arrived with me and I'm looking forward to viewing it.
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Solo Work