whats this..a new album?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: whats this..a new album?

Postby kitaj on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:32 pm

Simonp wrote:I must say I'm a little more excited now that I know this is just not another remix album and that it will support an app of David's photography that he is developing. Looking forward to seeing both now

it indeed is not a remix album.. it's a reprocess album..
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Blemished on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:34 am

Must admit I'm struggling with this one.

I quite like some of the textures but on first listens they seem to lack variety and I find them a bit too digital - a lot of harsh high-frequency white noise.

The one thing I was less keen on with Blemish was the slight harshness of the sound - Manafon and DITW came back to the more organic sound David usually has - and this album amplifies that.

It certainly contrasts to the softer, warmer sound of Bang's remix work.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby kitaj on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:29 am

I know one should not speak without hearing it, but the motivation to this latest release to me seems very, very slight.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby qdes on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:27 pm

For someone who considers Blemish to be top 3 albums of all time, this is truly a welcome addition to Blemish sessions. On the first listen this sounds truly wonderful and I think Stephan Mathieu has done a wonderful job.

I think this will be my soundtrack for christmas this year.
qdes
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby afternoonfix on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:17 am

Without Sylvian's voice i'll give this a miss also - don't like the cover art work either---
it just gives me the creeps.....
afternoonfix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dconnery1966 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:10 am

Im afraid i will be giving this a miss too unfortunately

Dougie :(
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:52 am

afternoonfix wrote:
Without Sylvian's voice i'll give this a miss also - don't like the cover art work either---
it just gives me the creeps.....

:-) A pair of Orlan Eva Space Gloves gives you the creeps? My 12-year old nephew and I tried on a pair just a week ago while at the Franklin Institute's Space and Science Exhibition in Philadelphia, PA. Nothing to fear...we haven't lost our fingernails.... yet. :twisted:

As for this specific release, I would merely look upon this as an equivalent to when Bill Laswell sampled various performances of Miles Davis (and differing lineups of musicians) during his most adventurous musical period and then reworked the music into the project which became Panthalassa. Miles Davis' name appeared quite prominently on the cover and he appeared to be given full credit as a collaborator. Yet the listener knew that the disc essentially was a Laswell release, as he was the manipulator of previously recorded source material. Basically, Panthalassa will never seriously be considered as part of the Davis discography.
So 'tired of wandering' is simply Mr Mathieu using aspects of Sylvian's 'blemish' a decade later to create music for some program of photographs. And by commercially releasing this music, any costs involved can be better recouped - and in order to sell, it always helps to display Sylvian's name prominently on a project. Nothing really to get all that hung up about, wouldn't you agree?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:21 pm

Baht OTM ('on the money') as usual. :D

I like it very much. not a necessary item by all means, but a nice reminder under a different light of a powerful album, with or without the vocals.
actually, what Wandermude puts in relief for me is there's really nothing so much 'shockingly new' or 'controversially difficult' about Blemish - it's simply as if he'd merged whatever song album of his with Plight & Premonition or Approaching Silence; you can sense an urgency and lack of polish that has not been there before, but otherwise I really can't hear what's so forbidding there that he hasn't tackled before (e.g. in 'Pop Song', 'Gone to Earth', or even the guitar outbursts in 'Godman', etc etc). anyway, with Wandermude, it's nice to have the attention refocused on Sylvian's musicianly skills from the customary vocal ones for a change.

as far as its textures and atmospheres go, I find Blemish a very colourful, even open-air album (as opposed to its lyrics). somehow it reminds me of a lot of Robert Wyatt's music, and of this 2002 Italian album, produced by Hector Zazou:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBD63CwtMrw
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:47 am

I'm going slightly out of topic, but this is one of the two best italian groups ever. :smt023
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:05 pm

kitaj wrote:I like it very much

I thought you said you'd pass! :D
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby silentwings on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:08 pm

I love the way that the once discordant and disconcerting sounds of Blemish have now become familiar motifs....

When they appear on Wandermude their familiarity makes you smile.... ..when on first listen Blemish was drawn from such a confusing, alien palette.

For me, this sums up the experience of opening yourself up to David's musical wanderings.... ..he has taken me to musical destinations that I never knew I wanted to reach, but I'm very glad of the experience. I'm embracing Wandermude in the same spirit, it being clearly inspired and encouraged by David himself.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:03 pm

inkinthewell wrote:

I'm going slightly out of topic, but this is one of the two best italian groups ever. :smt023

:smt045 the other one being..? :smt048 (C.S.I.? :-D)

Blemished wrote:
kitaj wrote:I like it very much

I thought you said you'd pass! :D

yes, I could have done pretty OK without it indeed, in fact I never gave it a second spin and doubt I soon will. I stand by my assessment of it being a byproduct of a byproduct. but wrapped in a flashy chrome suit and with DS's name as product testimonial, as Samadhi releases have tended to be for some time now.
c'mon Samadhi, something more substantial next time, please :-)
Last edited by kitaj on Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:57 am

kitaj wrote:the other one being..? :smt048 (C.S.I.? :-D)

Who else? :smt020

kitaj wrote:a byproduct of a byproduct wrapped in a flashy chrome suit

That cover picture makes me think of a leper reaching out to grab a saloon singer's breasts tightly squeezed in a corset...
LepersFantasy.jpg
LepersFantasy.jpg (108.19 KiB) Viewed 13089 times

And now I'll go see my doctor.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:12 am

:lol: :smt004
(douze points for the necklace)
kitaj