whats this..a new album?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: whats this..a new album?

Postby inkinthewell on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Simonp wrote:I don't know yet what his involvement on this "new" album is...does he even perform on it?

As posted above by servalan66: "David Sylvian’s experimental breakthrough "Blemish" (sound-cd ss001) sees a new interpretation in the album "Wandermüde", by the remarkable electro-acoustic musician Stephan Mathieu. Working from the instrumental source material, Mathieu brings us a new experience of the most stirring textures and darkest thoughts from this pivotal album".
Probably this sentence from Jan Bang's "...And Poppies From Kandahar" microsite might answer your question: "and Samadhisound founder David Sylvian, wrote the titles for each piece and the album as a whole, setting these abstract scenes in a disruptive context". :twisted:
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:23 pm

dconnery1966 wrote:I know some people would love David to go back to early eighties stuff,ie Brilliant Trees, Gone to earth etc but do any of you ever think, he can come close to releasing anything like this ever again, i would like to know youre thoughts on this please

It's not so much that he can't but that he won't. And I don't know if he'll ever get over the nausea that gets him whenever he feels he's producing anything too "easy".
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Hi Dougie.

I love a lot of his more recent material....and I certainly wouldn't want him to release another Beehive. I know it will never happen but I would just love to hear something a bit more upbeat from time to time. He's starting to sing without the tone and emotion he used to have...his vocals have become almost robotic in their delivery.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby dconnery1966 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi Simon

Yeah totally agree with you there, i like the new stuff as well Simon but as you said i would

like him to do something a little more upbeat, i was really pleasently surprised with the Snow Borne Sorrow album,

maybe just just maybe another like this would be awesome, but you never Know with David ;-)

All the best Dougie :D
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby kitaj on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:08 pm

inkinthewell wrote:
Simonp wrote:I don't know yet what his involvement on this "new" album is...does he even perform on it?

Probably this sentence from Jan Bang's "...And Poppies From Kandahar" microsite might answer your question: "and Samadhisound founder David Sylvian, wrote the titles for each piece and the album as a whole, setting these abstract scenes in a disruptive context". :twisted:

:lol:
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:36 am

kitaj wrote:
inkinthewell wrote:

:lol:

:smt005
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:20 am

Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:32 pm

There are previews of each track on Wandermude in the MP3 store at http://www.amazon.co.uk now.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:35 am

no, this is NOT a new album. this one, for example, is a third-step byproduct of another project. I think it's time for Samadhi to stop these sycophantically worded press reviews - it's been too little meat on the menu for some time now. I'll certainly pass.

more importantly, I was thinking of how DS' back problems are going. I wouldn't be surprised if this latest batch of releases goes towards his health costs, he being in the States.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby servalan66 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:17 pm

I agree, a waste of an album, I didn't really like Blemish as it was, now a third version!
I have been a 'fan' since 1980 and have religiously bought everything he has done (including bootlegs, live, collaborations, books etc etc) and have bought two of each release, one to listen to and one to put away, so shows how much a fan I am (was)! But I am not buying this new one and have not bought uncommon deities, which is really just david reading someone elses poetry over someones elses music!
He seems to do less and less original work, off his own back, nearly all is in collaboration. Even on my favourite post 2000 album, Nine Horses, none of the music is written solely by him.
There are some (on here!) who like his post 2000 work, which is lovely for them, but besides for the mentioned nine horses, and the track the only daughter, I like none of his 'new' work, which after 30 years is a shame.
servalan66
Noob
Noob

Postby Simonp on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:36 pm

kitaj wrote:no, this is NOT a new album. this one, for example, is a third-step byproduct of another project. I think it's time for Samadhi to stop these sycophantically worded press reviews - it's been too little meat on the menu for some time now. I'll certainly pass.

more importantly, I was thinking of how DS' back problems are going. I wouldn't be surprised if this latest batch of releases goes towards his health costs, he being in the States.

too little meat on the menu for some time now :lol:

I'd be very surprised if an album like this makes any money, certainly not enough to cover his ongoing health costs. It's difficult to form an opinion on the short clips available but I have to confess it all sounds a little "I've heard it before" and actually the soundclips are very reminiscent of Fennesz's work. Oh dear. I'm trying not to be negative because I'm beginning to agree with some of the comments on here.

servalan66 wrote:He seems to do less and less original work, off his own back, nearly all is in collaboration.

I agree with you on this. I'd be interested to see what he's contributed to Wandermude other than provide source material.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:52 pm

David's always tended to work collaboratively. He writes the structures and has the vision - and from Japan onwards he has had a band of brothers with him filling out the spaces. He's like a film director who will hire the cinematographers, sound recordists etc who can fulfil the vision of his original script.

I suspect many of these re-hash releases are born of other's interest in his music and he thinks there is something worthwhile in releasing them. I don't think it has any bearing on his own efforts.

Also, to be fair to the guy he's been writing songs for...what...forty years? It must be hard not to feel that you are treading water or repeating yourself at times. There are plenty of other artists who churn out the same old, same old with diminishing returns. I think he's a musical shark - he has to keep moving or he'll die! I think he could churn out an album of guitar ballads in his sleep, but I don't think he'd get anything from it.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby missouriman on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:06 pm

The samples on Amazon sound very interesting. Well worth buying. I like this kind of music.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby hitch on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:09 am

As of today, both Wandermüde and Amplified Gesture may be pre-ordered from the samadhisound shop. Anyone pre-ordering Wandermüde from the samadhisound shop, will receive a free download of the entire album as 320kbps mp3s (a download link will be found in the email confirmation from the store after purchase). For those wishing to purchase Wandermüde as either MP3s or FLAC files, these are also available as of now.

David Sylvian’s experimental breakthrough Blemish sees a new interpretation in the album Wandermüde, by the remarkable electroacoustic musician Stephan Mathieu. Working from the instrumental source material, Mathieu brings us a new experience of the most stirring textures and darkest thoughts from this pivotal album.

Mathieu first collaborated with Sylvian at 2011’s Punkt festival in Kristiansand, Norway, when he performed a live remix of Sylvian’s ambient classic Plight and Premonition. Sylvian recently began work on an iOS application to display a collection of his digital photography. He invited Mathieu to develop an ambient score for the application, using material from 2003’s Blemish.

“I’ve lived with Stephan’s work for many years,” says Sylvian. “After hearing his remix at Punkt I decided he’d be the right person to ask to rework the Blemish material. I’d originally planned on doing it myself but once Stephan had planted his signature ambience in my mind it seemed the better option to have him take a look at the files.” “The recordings have a beautiful clarity about them due to their simple but sturdy frameworks, and their open-ended architecture makes them ideal for a project of this sort.” When Mathieu first heard Blemish, “I was quite amazed by the album, its dark beauty … . When David sent me the files from the sessions one year ago, they were a pool of wonderful material to me, detached from the songs and original album, while very much connected to David at the same time.”

A startling break from Sylvian’s previous work, Blemish is pensive and spare, wrapping a lyrical raw nerve in extended, drone-like song structures. Recorded in a relatively-quick six week burst, Blemish was “cathartic” for Sylvian. An earlier remix album, 2005’s The Good Son vs. The Only Daughter, took the material in varied and lusher directions, but Wandermüde puts it under a microscope. The catharsis of the original is tested and reinvigorated by Mathieu’s treatment, which he performs in real time.

“My work with computers is always live,” Mathieu explains. “I’m feeding selected material into a software process and record the output, which I either take as is, or discard completely. I don’t multi-track, edit or re-arrange, I’m interested in self-evolving sound with all its rough and sometimes faulty qualities. I never use effects like artificial reverb in my music, so what you hear is rather a piling up of spaces that surround the individual inputs used for my processes.

“With David’s recordings I melted them with my instruments, recorded several takes and picked the best ones. While I first processed the recordings quite heavily, it took me a while to notice that I come to better results when David’s performance shines through much more clearly. For instance with the original guitar from ‘Blemish,’ I only applied a soft processing and made a room recording of playing this version back through two Fender Twin amps.”

A guest from Blemish also makes a return appearance on this album. Guitarist and electronics artist Christian Fennesz contributes to “Deceleration,” the final song on the album. “‘Fire in the Forest,’ just as its sister ‘Transit’ on Fennesz’ Venice album are to me perfect models for what a 21st century song can be,” says Mathieu. “Since he had only a couple of days to work on this, he came up with this rough and very beautiful recording of his guitar playing in the last moment. It was love at first sight for me.”

Work continues on Sylvian’s photography application, which will include a different version of this material: 30 loops that run three minutes each, played in shuffle mode to produce “an infinite number of possible listening experiences. We felt this approach, with its variety and subtlety, greater complimented the act of exploring the accompanying images on screen,” says Sylvian.

Although it was born from a different project, Wandermüde is its own beast: exquisitely planned but executed in real time, drawn from old pains but breathing with new life. The title of the album – “tired of wandering” – implies a fatigue, a resignation, and an end; but the music itself crackles with suspense and anticipation, marking a moment of reflection before a journey begins.
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:32 am

I must say I'm a little more excited now that I know this is just not another remix album and that it will support an app of David's photography that he is developing. Looking forward to seeing both now
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work