whats this..a new album?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

whats this..a new album?

Postby Simonp on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:53 am

MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: whats this..a new album?

Postby Chet on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:09 am

and the title of the track The Farther Away I Am makes me think of the great song with the same name of Daryl Hall and Robert Fripp...
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:47 am

somehow I think that's where the similarity will end. Quite excited about this release actually..I've just checked out Stephan's page. He provided the music at Sylvian's Glowing Enigmas exhibition.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:44 am

but isn't it about time for a new David Sylvian album...
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:51 am

It's already on eBay :?: with this info from the seller:
"DAVID SYLVIAN & STEPHAN MATHIEU
WANDERMUDE
CD ALBUM
RELEASE DATE DUE 10TH DECEMBER 2012
EMI MUSIC DISTRIBUTION CAT NO. SOUNDCDSS023
TRACK LIST
1. Saffron Laudanum
2. Velvet Revolution
3. Trauma Ward
4. The Farther Away I Am (Minus 30 Degrees)
5. Dark Pastoral
6. Telegraphed Mistakes
7. Deceleration

NEW / MINT
IF THE ITEM IS NOT A NEW RELEASE ITEM WE WILL DISPATCH WITHIN 4 WORKING DAYS.PLEASE ALLOW 2/3 DAYS FOR 2ND CLASS POST AND UP TO 21 DAYS OVERSEAS
PLEASE NOTE THE RELEASE DATE ON THE INFORMATION PROVIDED.
Items after this date will be sent at next available posting slot after Payment is received. All items are new not used. We also will accept returns but items can only be sent back if legitimately faulty. All items are checked before dispatch.
Please note that change in release dates, cover art work, track listings, bonus features and limited editions are beyond our control and that the Information is given to us from the record company prior to release.
Any questions please ask and we will be happy to help many thanks.WE WILL ALWAYS AIM TO GIVE 100% SERVICE
Better Leisure Limited, BEACON INNOVATION CENTRE,BEACON PARK GORLESTON NORFOLK NR317RA UNITED KINGDOM"
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby servalan66 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:02 am

below is perhaps real?

david sylvian's experimental breakthrough 'blemish' sees a new interpretation in the album 'wandermude', by the remarkable electro-acoustic musician stephan mathieu. working from the instrumental source material, mathieu brings us a new experience of the most stirring textures and darkest thoughts from this pivotal album. although it was born from a different project, 'wandermude' is its own beast: exquisitely planned but executed in real time, drawn from old pains but breathing with new life. the title of the album - 'tired of wandering' - implies a fatigue, a resignation, and an end; but the music itself crackles with suspense and anticipation, marking a moment of reflection before a journey begins. presented in a digipak featuring photography by vincent fournier, art direction by david sylvian, designed by chris bigg.

I, for one, if it is another version of Blemish, shall not be buying it!
servalan66
Noob
Noob

Postby Blemished on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:36 pm

servalan66 wrote:I, for one, if it is another version of Blemish, shall not be buying it!

I, for one, if it is another version of Blemish WILL be buying it! :D

Pretty unexpected, but it sounds very intriguing to me. What no one has mentioned yet is whether there will be any vocals on it, or whether it is merely an electro-acoustic style revisiting? Given how electronic Blemish is (except for Derek Bailey's contributions) - all Nord Lead 3 - it's hard to imagine how this will sound.

I can see why people get a bit fed up with these re-imaginings, but in my view David always seems to ensure that there is something valuable and re-invigorating about them (The Good Son, DITW).

So, an unexpected Christmas treat for me. And hopefully the real solo album will be on the horizon for 2013...
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby inkinthewell on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:55 pm

I, for another one, am intrigued by this yet-to-be-precised project. On another thread (about Palimpsest by Stephan Mathieu and Sylvain Chauveau), I had said I liked Mathieu's work. But that was with a faux-Sylvian; now he's working with the real one, it can only be better.
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:49 am

Blemished wrote:What no one has mentioned yet is whether there will be any vocals on it, or whether it is merely an electro-acoustic style revisiting?

"working from the instrumental source material, mathieu brings us a new experience of the most stirring textures and darkest thoughts from this pivotal album."

Taking that statement into account, one could conclude that this project will most likely be instrumental.

Chet wrote:but isn't it about time for a new David Sylvian album...

It appears as though Sylvian had simply started preliminary work in mid-Spring of this year - this included gathering improvisations with the intent of further work. And prior to that, he had involved himself in a project with Joan Wasser at the beginning of the year - a project which I personally hope had fallen by the wayside and never surfaces...yet if it does come to fruition, then we can expect that project to materialize before any new David Sylvian album.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:34 am

new info about Two New Releases From Samadhisound at davidsylvian.com
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:31 am

it could well be interesting, but my heart kind of sank by reading about yet another reinterpretation of older material. enough is enough, I'd say. most of all, I would like to feel David is kind of interested in making music actively again i.e. from scratch, in real collaboration, and with proper musical instruments, not by collecting/bricolaging/curating other persons' efforts first and then slapping his never-changing vocals and his own name onto that. I've had enough of that. then again, he's the brooding bear prone to come up with some fresh honey when least expected of him (oops.. would that rather be, a bumble bee?).
Last edited by kitaj on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:20 am

kitaj wrote:my heart kind of sank by reading about yet another reinterpretation of older material. enough is enough, I'd say.

Gosh! And here's me thinking of asking David to collaborate on a reworking of "Gentlemen Take Polaroids"... I even had the title ready: "Cool Dudes Take Cellphone Snapshots (And Edit Them With Photoshop)". :(
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:14 am

inkinthewell wrote:
kitaj wrote:my heart kind of sank by reading about yet another reinterpretation of older material. enough is enough, I'd say.

Gosh! And here's me thinking of asking David to collaborate on a reworking of "Gentlemen Take Polaroids"... I even had the title ready: "Cool Dudes Take Cellphone Snapshots (And Edit Them With Photoshop)". :(

:lol:

It's such a shame you are already married Inky :smt007
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:51 am

kitaj wrote:it could well be interesting, but my heart kind of sank by reading about yet another reinterpretation of older material. enough is enough, I'd say. most of all, I would like to feel David is kind of interested in making music actively again i.e. from scratch, in real collaboration, and with proper musical instruments, not by collecting/bricolaging/curating other persons' efforts first and then slapping his never-changing vocals and his own name onto that. I've had enough of that. then again, he's the brooding bear prone to come up with some fresh honey when least expected of him (oops.. would that rather be, a bumble bee?).

I couldnt agree more with you on this...not necessarily that he use "proper instruments" but that he stop using other artists to hide the fact that it is starting to look as if he can no longer produce anything of any worth on his own. Perhaps I'm being unreasonable here because I don't know yet what his involvement on this "new" album is...does he even perform on it?
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby dconnery1966 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:17 pm

I know some people would love David to go back to early eighties stuff,ie Brilliant Trees, Gone to earth etc

but do any of you ever think, he can come close to releasing anything like this ever again, i would like to

know youre thoughts on this please :?:

All the best Dougie :D
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Next

Return to Solo Work