Polaroid

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Polaroid

Postby svendutchmountains on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:50 pm

I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby svendutchmountains on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:18 pm

It has been re-listed: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1158336343

Bidding went up to around GBP 1100 last time. This time the seller has put the reserve at GBP 2200! Good luck with that. Most recent polaroids have sold for around GBP 1200-1400, the only exception being the Steve Jansen Drumming polaroid which sold for GBP 4400 - but that was the first polaroid to come onto the open market in at least 10 years.

I would be very surprised if it were to sell for GBP 2200 or higher. Especially since the seller does not seem to confident to ship - preferring a pick-up. Personally I would only pay that amount (or more) for the Angus Bean, Pierre Barouh or one of the Sylvian self-portraits...

Greetings from the Dutch mountains
Sven
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby svendutchmountains on Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:33 pm

As expected - it did not sell. It has not been re-listed yet - last time it was re-listed immediately...
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby svendutchmountains on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:38 am

For those of you looking to buy one of the Polaroid collages - one has just popped up for sale on eBay. Currently at GBP 800/ $1200. It is another one which was not published before - of Ryuichi recording in Tokyo in 1984. It is signed as usual but not framed.
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Chad on Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:14 pm

Sometimes I wonder if David's cleaning out the attic. I bought two copies of the UK Perspectives for around $90 each when they came out. Signed postcards, not the book. They're worth about $90 now. Twenty years ago I could have gotten $350. Just sayin...
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby svendutchmountains on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:20 pm

Chad wrote:Sometimes I wonder if David's cleaning out the attic. I bought two copies of the UK Perspectives for around $90 each when they came out. Signed postcards, not the book. They're worth about $90 now. Twenty years ago I could have gotten $350. Just sayin...

Opium Arts did sell off a number of Polaroid collages (and some associated works like one of Mick Karn`s sculptures) three years ago.... typically the pricing varied between $1000 - $1600 for originally framed pieces.

In terms of value I think you are right - as an investment David`s work has stalled to appreciate in terms of $ value. I still keep a keen eye on eBay and I am sometimes surprised at the low prices of some of the items (or even when something does not sell). I just picked up a Pierre Barouh promo 7 inch for Le Pollen for $10. I bought several of the Glowing Enigma polaroids as well as one of the Abandon/Hope pieces - and I doubt I would make a significant ROI above WACC if I were to sell them.

Having said that - I have never bought anything (whether it is Sylvian or Chinese antique ivory or old maps) with the aim of making a profit etc. I buy this stuff because of the history, the images, the artistry etc. So if I do not make a profit, screw it. Perhaps after I am gone my daughters will flog it all for a few $, or perhaps they will decide to keep their old man`s stuff. Who cares! I`ll be gone, and during my lifetime I will have enjoyed having it.
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Blemished on Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:41 pm

It's nice to see a new image like that. Intrigued to see that they were using the CMI Fairlight sampler (as made famous by Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel amongst others) and an early E-MU Emulator - also a sampler. VERY expensive gear in its day.

I can't think of any music that emerged from them that sounded like it would have used those keyboards. Any ideas?

The images are very evocative of time and place, but I'm never sure they're worth the outlay. Buying things direct from David or Steve seems more satisfying in that at least it's supporting their work directly.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Chad on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:48 am

Forbidden Colours and maybe Bamboo? Ryu use to record and tour with a Fairlight. Merry Christmas, Ongaku Zukan, Esperanto and Futurista all have Fairlight on them.

I see that MIDI has started to reissue these early Sakamoto recordings. I'm particularly intrigued with the Ongaku & Left Handed Dream shm-cd reissues. They include both japanese & western release versions of the albums with bonus materials and rare tracks. Esperanto is on the list but I don't see any bonus material, which doesn't surprise me because was a commissioned piece. Probably nothing left to add. These are a must have for me, here's a cdjapan link for anyone that may be interested -

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/MDCL-5034
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby kitaj on Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:07 pm

thanks for the info, Chad! it would be real nice to secure oneself some of those. I have the 1993 Ongaku Zukan re-release from Alfa Japan, plus some other Japanese rereleases covering that period.

no Steppin' into Asia or Field Work this time either as far as I can see, nor some 12" B-sides from back then (i.e. the 15-min 'Exhibition').

OT: ah, Chad - there's a Tigran Hamasyan & Jan Bang HD video concert from the 2013 Punkt Festival available on rutracker. I downloaded this yesterday and it's awesome.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Chad on Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:31 pm

kitaj wrote:no Steppin' into Asia or Field Work this time either as far as I can see, nor some 12" B-sides from back then (i.e. the 15-min 'Exhibition').

Oh you're right, but they weren't on the original japanese release. I bet those come out later on, like what the did with the Arrangement single. Some of those tracks were previously available on another version of Left Handed Dream. It looks like they are trying to keep them as close to original as possible. If I remember right, Field Work and Steppin didn't come out until 85 or 86 and were included in the "Illustrated Musical Encyclopedia' version of the record. Paul Rhymer would know for sure.

I'll have to check out that Tigran Link. I still haven't picked up the Victoria soundtrack with Jan, Erik and Arve. I hear its great though. I just noticed someone put the new Tigran lp on youtube and it's only been out for a month -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHkSTwniacM
Chad
Obsessed
Obsessed

Previous

Return to Solo Work