Uncommon Deities - CD

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Uncommon Deities - CD

Postby svendutchmountains on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:52 pm

This is getting completely farcical! People who have ordered through David's website are being let down on a massive scale! The webshop refuses to provide any information, refuses to answer emails... and Amazon is quite happily shipping copies now!

There was a discussion about this on the SamadhiSound Facebook page - but this morning a lot of the comments have been removed! Go figure!

I guess there's a lot of people who will refrain from ordering directly from SS from now on.

On a positive note - my signed Little Girl with 99 Lives poster arrived today! Number 14/100! Perhaps David ought to switch to Ingrid's web service providor! What was that song "Under Ingrid's Webshop"?
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby hitch on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:57 pm

i think i will never order from SS ever again.
dont need this kind of stress.
Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:59 pm

I suppose I have a much different perspective on this when compared to so many other fans. While unfortunate that there was a manufacturing problem in the production of this latest Samadhi Sound release, I can entirely comprehend how such defects occur. Samadhi is not a major label - obviously they will have to deal with a production company where the cost is most feasible and beneficial to their personal situation - obviously they are not going to be working in conjunction with a company that can spill out product in mass quantities.
And it is also beneficial to Samadhi to have a distributor as largely renowned as Amazon.com or, in the case of downloads, the mighty iTunes. In order to maintain whatever relationship they may have possibly developed with Amazon, Samadhi Sound must make a conscientious decision to supply the huge market distributor in order to keep any semblance of credibility they may have come to earn.
So now when faced with this unfortunate manufacturing problem, Samadhi is taking a hit and supplying Amazon first so that Amazon does not default all too far from the announced release date. We all can wisely conclude that, as profit is always the main motivator in business, Amazon will receive distributor pricing from the label and an independent label such as Samadhi makes that concession to a powerhouse such as that distributor merely for the international clout rather than the monetary factor.
The reason I am not deterred from purchasing direct from Samadhi Sound is due to the knowledge that an artist that I respect greatly can most likely continue to be more creative as a result of my purchase directly to him. Even if he simply nets .50 cents or even a bit less from the direct purchase I make, that which he may not have earned when having to deal with a major distributor, that is .50 which is going to an artist that I want so desperately to succeed in bringing his endeavors to fruition.
When these unfortunate situations occur, I take such instances in stride. Another artist whom I greatly admire is Philip Aaberg - he established his very own independent label in 2000. There have been similar problems as this with two or three of his releases - he also deals with smaller companies when it comes to production....recalls and delays are not uncommon with his independent label, Sweetgrass Music. I am not deterred when plans and goals do not pan out for these independent artists who are bold enough to go it alone. Aaberg even had to cease an entire album that he was making with an orchestra - he had preorders taken on this release as part of a four-cd package - three were released, though this fourth was scratched. I did not hold this against him. He created a solo piano release in lieu of the project which was never completed. I appreciate such a circumstance, and his desire to somehow make good on his failed project - even though it didn't come close to his initial intentions...and even when it took five years for him to come through with providing a lesser version of the product I paid money for. I can not hold such unforeseen incidents against an artist who I enjoy for their independent spirit.

So I wait with extreme patience and I know that patience will be rewarded, now and in the future.
Last edited by baht habit on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby hitch on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:09 pm

@baht habit
you are right in everything you say. but simply mail from SS will do the work. i write to them 10 days ago and still no answer.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby hego on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:50 pm

SS has to go trough Burning Shed, never problems with them.
hego
Regular
Regular

Postby Simonp on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:18 am

I understand what you're saying Bhat and completely agree for the most part but in Samadhi's case they generally don't have a particularly good track record for customer service. I'm aware of some people who ordered the limited edition poster which was produced to promote the "A Victim of Stars" compilation and they waited MONTHS to receive it while others, like myself, received them relatively quickly. Despite their best efforts to get feedback from Samadhi as to where their orders were they heard NOTHING. Courtesy costs nothing and Samadhi unfortunately seem to be lacking in this somewhat
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Simonp wrote:I understand what you're saying Bhat and completely agree for the most part............... Courtesy costs nothing and Samadhi unfortunately seem to be lacking in this somewhat

I agree too... I would rather support the artist more fully as well, but as a customer I feel I'm not being treated very well and it will put me off using the official route in future. Having been away for a week I was hoping I may have had some contact from SS, but no; and no change of my order status.

It would be nice to have a brief update, it would take very little time; this silence feels rude and arrogant.

I sell my art online, in part anyway, and would never treat a customer this way, no matter what complications had occurred... I would keep them fully informed at all times.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Just posted by DS on Twitter/FB:

We are pleased to announce that the deluxe version of Uncommon Deities has finally arrived at our warehouse. We will begin sending these out urgently. Once again we apologise deeply for this unavoidable delay, caused by a technical fault at the factory truly beyond our control.

I sympathise with those with missing orders, but - like Baht - I'm always happy to support Samadhi however I can. I'm looking forward to hearing this whenever it arrives.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Foales Arishes on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:15 pm

Thank you for the info Blemished - that is good to hear.

I still think Samadhisounds communication needs addressing... I do buy from many small labels and publishers, for both music and books, as I like to support independend artists selling physical things, rather than the faceless giant pushing-out the latest fad or blockbuster. Communication generally is one of the pleasures of going to the source, not that I expect a discourse with Sylvian himself, but I do feel like I'm being served by the said 'faceless giant' with Samadhisound, rather than a small independent that it is.

Anyway, I will put it all aside and wait as patiently as I can for my copy to arrive.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:41 am

Good news... Looks like Baht's appraisal of the Amazon situation was correct! Shame the announcement only came through Twitter... Perhaps an email by DMG to their customer list would have been more appropriate, but then, we know communication isn't one of their competencies!
I recognize no method of living that I know of, I see only the basic materials I may use
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby hitch on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:29 pm

New status: Shipped
finally.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:41 pm

hitch wrote:New status: Shipped
finally.

Yep.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby svendutchmountains on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:58 am

Received the regular version today. The Packing List has the 'Deluxe' version orderline crossed out with the comment "Shipped Separately". Looks like the deluxe version is being shipped from a different location!
svendutchmountains
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Foales Arishes on Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:20 am

How long does it usually take from 'shipped' to those in the UK getting their goods?... just wondering what to expect.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:09 pm

Standard edition arrived today..no sign of limited edition yet. Listening to it just now as I type. First thoughts...extremely beautiful. I do love Sidsel Endressen's voice. Bang/Honore provided wonderful atmospherics which at times remind me strangely of Brilliant Trees. Lovely release...but something a bit more rhythmic next time David?
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work