The shape of things to come

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: The shape of things to come

Postby Simonp on Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:26 am

origami wrote:Not sure that Sylvian fans are particularly wanting another 'brilliant trees', 'gone to earth' or 'secrets of the beehive'

I think that's EXACTLY what many Sylvian fans are wanting...it's unbelievable that some fans still hanker after Sylvian to release another SOTB. It ain't going to happen. I love that album as much as the next fan but I'm glad he doesn't repeat himself and is always pushing himself artistically. I'd have given up on him a long time ago if he released a SOTB album time after time
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby origami on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:25 am

Not sure the fans you talk of necessarily want David to repeat himself, more that they would rather hear him do something more melodic....ie a memorable 3minute pop song.
Fair play to Sylvian for following his instincts and going down the improvisation road, but in all honesty i dont think its where his strength lies.
I think Scott Walker pulls it off effortlessly while with David it comes across as a bit laboured and not altogether convincing.
Just my opinion of course, dont want to rattle anyones cage! :wink:
origami
Noob
Noob

Postby Blemished on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:22 pm

kitaj wrote:there are some things that keep reappearing in 'Sylvianfandomland' that I don't understand at all.

firstly: what on earth have Paul Buchanan and David Sylvian in common so as to keep comparing them?

Good question. Not much these days, but there did seem a kinship in the 80s. Wonderful voices, thoughtful lyrics, slow paced music with huge attention to detail? Early Blue Nile does chime a bit with the mid 80s work of DS and The Dolphin Brothers. I think Mark Hollis is a closer relation.

kitaj wrote:secondly: why on earth does 'experimental/intellectual' have to be better than 'not experimental/sensual'?

It doesn't, as you suggest. Although personally speaking I love David's work as much for his efforts with sound (same for Japan) as anything else. Just him and an acoustic guitar is less satisfying for me. For others, I am sure the opposite is the case.

He has covered SO much ground that I guess he is always going to leave a section of his audience cold. For me, these days, Manafon and DITW is the work I return to (and far more satisfying that Scott Walker's recent work). Blemish too. On the other hand, I'm not sure I can get much from the 80s trilogy anymore having exhausted the seam so to speak.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Previous

Return to Solo Work