'Glowing Enigmas' Photographic Exhibition

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

'Glowing Enigmas' Photographic Exhibition

Postby banyan on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:17 pm

It appears David will be exhibiting some instant film photography
as part of the 'Impossible project' in Japan ( April - May ) entitled 'Glowing Enigmas'

My translating skills are rusty but it appears there may also be a book of lyrics to follow
soon.

Here's a link
http://antenna7.com/artdesign/2012/02/g ... igmas.html
banyan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: 'Glowing Enigmas' Photographic Exhibition

Postby missouriman on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:20 pm

http://www.qetic.jp/?p=77519

A different link too. Hopefully it works.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:47 am

Google translator is hysterical. THIS is what the translation says

David Shirubian, formed the pop band "JAPAN" in 1974. 78 years, "(original title: Adolescent Sex) Endless rebellion" album that debuted at. (In the last tour, participate as a guitarist Masami Tsuchiya), while a short period of time, was popular until the dissolution charismatic 82 years from this year. Become a darling of about In particular, high popularity in Japan, performances at the Budokan. JAPAN, you start as a starting point and the approach of glam rock, such as Roxy Music and David Bowie was argument 牽 in the 1970s, the longing for black music, in the lead of David was a central, modern music of Europe incorporates an ultra-individualistic thinking, dignified melancholy was completed, the electro pop of the mood of betrayal is dead somewhere.
After the dissolution JAPAN, in the album "Brilliant Trees" of 84 years, his solo debut. When I think, appeared in the appearance sophisticated Strip, with stylish makeup and hair dyed golden era JAPAN, in the "Blemish" in 2003, and appeared not shaved even beard dressed in shabby, the image without trauma to avoid obscuring the idolization given, stitch length, facing himself, David was there wandering in search of new musical expression. It was fixed to the popularity of the JAPAN Another was one of the New Romantic bands were numerous at that time, was "GHOST" representative songs. It was the sound of electric lead, double tenor David beautiful voice.
Recall that at the time, David said. Was felt that wrote the "" GHOST "is,. JAPAN became the turning point for me because had been operated on the basis of the strategy, this song, and the breakthrough to the representation of individuals I had been looking for. Essence something go rapidly strengthen what comes happening springing from raw emotion of their own. learned that less can hurt it I had the feeling touched the thing of, and continue to represent the wind saying that, metaphor I think also in also through literally, kick and was able to find your own voice, "a solo career, David, created a unique sound with a modal pop-funk, stylish jazz. "Secrets of the Beehive" of 87 years to configure the ambient scene of "Brilliant Trees" of 84 years, with Strings Orchestra romantic. Was also made from Robert Fripp collaboration (King Crimson), and the leaders of the progressive and fusion music.
Ongoing collaboration with Ryuichi Sakamoto began, it was a big hit "Forbidden Colours" is 91 years. Tour was embarked with Robert Fripp is a multi-media installations by directing the stoic studio release "The First Day" in 1993, made full use of space and sound "Redemption - Approaching Silence" that resulted in (Tokyo). Arranged a collage of photos in the background was done before that, the ambient sound, and video screening of the documentary "Perspectives" begins (Tokyo), and leap into the world of art installations. Then, leading British painter, Russell Mills (and Russell, Akira Ohtake and friendly relationship with Brian Eno is well known) in collaboration with, installation "Ember Glance (the permanence of memory) have announced. "
Announcement was produced in four multi-year, the "Dead Bees on a Cake" (1999). This album is 衷 folding the various elements is fascinating, the hit single "I Surrender" has been recorded. That song is supposed to make the vessel to the spiritual journey is eye-opening to David. Shortly thereafter, added to the new shelf arrangement, to all the songs (by Fujiwara also cover photo of the album "EVERYTHING and NOTHING" after) and high work of Shinya Fujiwara release, the jacket a retrospective "Everything and Nothing" album of the octopus, which led to the re-evaluation in Japan.
And to create works of David toward a spiritual goal, along with the search 思 heavy and deep to the self-seeking, he has given the ordeal. And. Be tested person. Have come while imagine a common goal of people involved "people, people who listen to is having sorrow everyone, with or overcome to do with it, therefore, become a child and thinking repeat. trial and error, "I'm was able to control it," At the same time attract the confidence that, learned a lot of the "Please give Jesus Christ, even in any trial." coming from the sorrow. exactly that way "
Determination that does not turn away the eye to confront their own weakness, the table has been heavily in the album "Blemish" in 2003. Recording, in the home studio, was held for six weeks. Via the Internet, to collaborate (passed away on Christmas Eve, 2005) Legend of improvisation, Derek Bailey, electronic artists of Austria, and Fennesz. Groove between the family and was born during this production, was to lead to the breakup of her marriage with Ingrid Shabeizu. "I, immersed in the crucible of passion esoteric, I wanted to dives to depths as much as possible. Therefore, it was the fog build up in the workplace. In life but not that different aspects of course, the feeling negative from among its But that very even and it tame the emotions surrounding decided to push out completely extracted. to the complexity, the act tries to find a breakthrough after a week. 6 there is a catharsis, I knew. . Nejifuse the feeling that their very nasty "
"Blemish" is, also became the starting point of the label "SamadhiSound" of David himself. "SamadhiSound is in the real sense, that there need to have a base but global. To somewhere I did not feel. To where, in modern times. We are no longer a big problem now, on their own, their own much effort is needed to make up that are no longer around their own cultural environment. listen and I think we can significantly raise to the level of culture. what, look at something, or read what In. "SamadhiSound has been, that Piriguramu featuring Billy Sweet, Harold Budd, Thomas et al Feina, the artists from around the world.
(2004) (to David, have two daughters between the Ingrid) released a remix version "The Only Daughter" of "Blemish". A band called Nine Horses was formed with Steve Jansen is also a collaborator of many years (which is also a member of the formation of JAPAN) in 2005, is the younger brother, has also participated as a pianist Ryuichi Sakamoto. This project is backed by the glamor and dignity, trip-hop and it makes a clear distinction has been inspired from both the concern to the incident of a personal nature and the earth, probably because of serious poetry. Single "World Citizen" and featuring Sakamoto, "Babel" was talking about the movie starring Brad and Kikuchi Rinko Stupid and soundtrack (2006). But rather a representation of decoration as one of the artists living in the United States 9.11 via post, to the international activities, the citizens of one to perceive, a sense of awe of the course.
Release, "Manafon" 2009. Blood improvisation top artists of the world was Tsudo~tsu. They formed a ensemble will share the core First of all, we make up the background. It is, of improvisation and composition. Of lead and vocal ensemble. Of intimacy and solitude. Was also tries to work the bounds Horisageyo deeply. David was beautiful poem surprisingly. This album will be counted among the five fingers of his work so far. 2010, released the album "Sleepwalkers" containing 16 tracks on this collaboration work so far. Touch on your recent state of affairs at the end. February 2012, computing configuration album "A Victim of Stars 1981-2012" release. European tour had been scheduled in April (according to wishful thinking, in Autumn 2006) postponed due to ill-health have been announced. This exhibition will be sold at the venue [Price], the: (published by David Sylvian / Chris Big SamadhiSound art direction) calendar "IMPLAUSIBLE BEAUTY" 2012 is configured by 12 points with no chance to see much, photographic works of David pending]). Preparing a lyrics book which contains the lyrics of
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:11 am

Hmmm, might actually be able to see this, may be in Tokyo May 19th.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Review and images from the opening reception.

Postby javier on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:21 am

Just arrived home from the exhibition's opening reception.

Very brief summary: Sylvian rewards his viewers with an incredibly intimate series of images, quite unlike anything I've seen from him before. Radically different in mood and content from the photographs featured on his website gallery pages.
Each work is a triptych, a set of 3 polaroid images mounted on dark matte with a simple black frame.
And each holds its own narrative in the relation between the three images. The possible meanings of many remain elusive but all are nevertheless compelling.
There are 47 works in all, ranging from self-portraits to images of family, friends and fellow artists, photographs of photographs, images of small ornaments, figures of gurus and deities, empty chairs, the occasional musical reference - part of a keyboard or mixer, light beams falling on small bottles, or the edge of a shelf, anatomical diagrams. A few (but very few) landscapes, mostly of treetops and sky.
Most images monochrome, but some rich with colour.
Often cropped, often blurred or out of focus, or washed-out, or with chemical residue marks, the nature of the process and medium are made highly visible.
The exhibition warrants slow, extended viewing.
The artist didn't attend, but a specially selected music playlist by Sylvian provided the soundtrack to the evening.

For those interested, all works are for sale.
Catalogues (a limited run of 1,000 has been printed) are available at the gallery for JPY 2,100.

A few images have been uploaded to
http://tokyo-art-stuff.posterous.com/124459374

Apologies for the low quality of images. Reflective glass and spotlights do not a good combination make.
Needless to say, these photos don't even begin to convey the sense of intimacy and strength of the artworks themselves. Those are polaroids - unique art objects, not just image/photo data that can be reprinted and retain the same qualities.

Please note that if I hear there is any issue of copyright which I have unintentionally infringed by posting the images, I will take them down immediately. However most gallery visitors were snapping away freely so I don't foresee any problem.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby javier on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:53 am

The gallery has just uploaded the photos taken by the proper photographer at the event:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 650&type=3
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:32 pm

Javier, thanks so much for sharing with us - I was hoping someone would post tonight.

Great that David is so creatively active.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:57 am

Thanks, Javier. Beautiful review. :smt023
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:44 pm

If any members of our online community in Japan can help me source a programme (and perhaps any other merchandise) from the exhibition please could you let me know (a direct message through forum would be great). I'd cover all costs of course. I'm in Europe and won't make it to see it in person.

Thank you.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:26 am

Have to admit I'm absolutely stunned that there's no discussion on this exhibition...he's only done a handful of exhibitions in his life (and only 2 of photography) yet it seems to have generated almost no interest.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:56 pm

I'm fascinated by it, Javier. I had no idea David was still working with polaroids... ..I wonder what the catalyst was for another exhibition? Whatever it was, I'm glad it came about.
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:30 am

I'm also fascinated by it, Javier, and am grateful for your detailed description of the exhibition. (I still remember your generous description of your Naoshima walk :-) which I have used many times as a kind of visual add-on when listening to the CD.)
still, I think it's difficult to discuss an event like this one because one really needs to have been there to experience it properly e.g. I would really like to see all the photo triptychs in detail. I remain interested in Sylvian's work at all levels and in all forms (OK, save for pricey limited edition posters maybe ;-) .)
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby javier on Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:45 am

kitaj wrote:I'm also fascinated by it, Javier, and am grateful for your detailed description of the exhibition. (I still remember your generous description of your Naoshima walk :-) which I have used many times as a kind of visual add-on when listening to the CD.)
still, I think it's difficult to discuss an event like this one because one really needs to have been there to experience it properly e.g. I would really like to see all the photo triptychs in detail. I remain interested in Sylvian's work at all levels and in all forms (OK, save for pricey limited edition posters maybe ;-) .)

Thanks Kitaj, lovely to know the Naoshima report got its message across!

Actually I've returned to the current exhibition twice now, and the staff told me it was ok to take some photographs. As a result I have images of all the works in the exhibition.

I'll try to share them soon. Most were taken at obscure angles to avoid reflections as much as possible (there are severe photographic limitations caused by reflective glass on works directly opposite floor-to-ceiling windows or bright spotlights), so some significant Photoshop work will required to realign them. Many of them may be difficult to see very clearly, but for those of you who are unable to attend the exhibition I hope it will at least give you a taste. As I mentioned before, the catalogue contains 21 triptych images but the exhibition has 47, many of which I believe are stronger than those in the catalogue.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby kitaj on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:10 am

so glad to hear that, Javier! looking forward to it :-)
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby javier on Fri May 04, 2012 12:51 pm

Images now up.

http://tokyo-art-stuff.posterous.com/da ... -the-works

It's understandable that many of the first works to have been sold include self-portraits as (certainly for fans of Sylvian) they are the most directly personal.

But there are many other really strong works in the show, and to me many of the most powerful works are those without Sylvian's face - their meaning may be more universal. There are a couple of really beautiful works still unsold - I just wish I had more money!

Please note that as before if I hear there is any issue of copyright which I have unintentionally infringed by posting the images, I will take them down immediately.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Next

Return to Solo Work