Sylvian "solo" - an observation

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Sylvian "solo" - an observation

Postby Simonp on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:33 pm

It's quite intriguing how Sylvian works these days. More or less all his work is undertaken in collaboration with other already established artists. It's almost an expectation of any new release that it will feature a host of "notable contributers". I often wonder if Sylvian is capable of writing/recording anything without the input of other musicians these days. Does the fact that he works with so many people in collaboration hide the fact that Sylvian entirely solo isnt an option anymore? Just a thought.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Sylvian "solo" - an observation

Postby baht habit on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:48 pm

Simonp wrote:It's quite intriguing how Sylvian works these days. More or less all his work is undertaken in collaboration with other already established artists. It's almost an expectation of any new release that it will feature a host of "notable contributers". I often wonder if Sylvian is capable of writing/recording anything without the input of other musicians these days. Does the fact that he works with so many people in collaboration hide the fact that Sylvian entirely solo isnt an option anymore? Just a thought.

Well, I suppose the most recent example of a song entirely composed by Sylvian would be 'Jacqueline' from 2009. So he is still quite capable of churning out something of that sort - yet I believe there is a strong chance that his own limited scope of compositional skill holds very little interest to him nowadays. As a result, he seeks out the assistance of others who could possibly pose a challenge to him with the music they create.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby billster on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:27 pm

I always thought that by 'solo' it meant he had the last word.
he's always been more like a film director rather than a folk singer.

I mean when has ever been 'Solo'?
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Blemished on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:42 pm

Blemish was pretty much solo...

I like the fact that David uses other musicians to flesh things out. They always add a huge amount. But you can't deny his authorship. A song is essentially a vocal line and chordal structure. 'A certain slant of light' is an example - Jan Bang totally reworked it, but the 'song' is entirely Sylvian's. The film director idea is very apt - although he is both writing and directing.

There was the same argument with Japan. The JBK contribution to the arrangements was vital - but they were not writing the songs. And as if to prove the point, none of the others have subsequently produced songs of the same calibre as David.

It's a bit harder to define things with Manafon - and I think that's why he credited all the improvisers.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby baht habit on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:30 am

Blemished wrote: A song is essentially a vocal line and chordal structure. 'A certain slant of light' is an example - Jan Bang totally reworked it, but the 'song' is entirely Sylvian's.

In addition to melodies and chords, lyrics play a significant part in any song as well. So I wouldn't consider that particular track to be 'entirely Sylvian's'. Dickinson surely deserves the credit she received, as her poetry basically created the flow and framework for Sylvian to structure his melodies and chords around.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:52 am

baht habit wrote:Dickinson surely deserves the credit she received, as her poetry basically created the flow and framework for Sylvian to structure his melodies and chords around.

Good point! I'd forgotten he'd used the poem.

If he got to the stage where he was always using improvs/Bang samples as a backdrop and pinching someone else's poetry for lyrics, then I'd be worried...
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby digimarsh on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:05 pm

I do believe that David now enjoys working in conjunction with other guys than any other time in his career, i think the situation suits him.He gets together with other musicians explores his concepts ideas , i suppose they all bounce off each other , but crucially David is completley in charge of final output.
It's ironic in some ways that his desire to have total control over musical direction and the unwillingness to conceed ground to the other members caused the demise of Japan but now he almost 'feeds' off other contributors.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Solo Work