David Sylvian Tour Dates in March / April Cancelled

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: David Sylvian Tour Dates in March / April Cancelled

Postby billster on Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:19 am

I wasn;'t referring to his maturing but his ageing. It makes me sad to see him grow old. Esp with Mick gone.
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Mainzy on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:40 am

Very sad news, some are saying postponed, the venues are saying cancelled. I hope he gets better soon and my heart goes out to those who were travelling.

If the Duran tour was anything to go by the delay was about 8 months, but that was more about venue availablity not back problems.

Good luck everyone

:wink:
Mainzy
Regular
Regular

Postby Serotonin on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:45 pm

Blemished wrote:
This is the picture I was thinking of. I don't think that's a brolly. I hope I'm being over-analytical and that this isn't something more long-term.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfssolbakken/6119876971/in/photostream/

Yes, that does look like a walking stick. I've seen this picture before and didn't notice it. That night ("P & P" concert), when the stage curtain opened, David was already sitting down. At the end of the concert, he stood up to thank everyone and then walked away normally, as he did at any of the other times I saw him again - on stage or around the venues (David is quite good at disguising physical pain, bless him). I now wonder why he was carrying the long brolly we've seen in some photos, as the weather was sunny and dry that weekend, with only a little rain on the evening of the "Cartography" concert.

If he is experiencing a declining health, it is a reflection of a man who's been through a lot of c**p (divorce and other unpleasantness) for the last 10 or so years. I have a friend who's been through a very painful divorce and seemed to age overnight. Also, living alone, maybe David isn't looking after himself as he should, eating properly, exercising regularly etc. It can be reversed though, if his life situation changes (my friend, for example, looks years younger now). With David it's his health that is worrying and rightly so. However, his musical talent and integrity shows an artist who remains totally unafraid to push and break the fence, his voice grows more and more gorgeous and...he still has very handsome, delicate features. I pray for his pain to ease and his injury to heal.
Serotonin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby billster on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:59 am

Don henley has back problems due to the enormous amounts of Cocaine he consumed as a young man. (It affects your posture through making your muscles hunch and contract).

Dave didn't bosh the gear since '86 though, so....
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:37 pm

billster wrote:Don henley has back problems due to the enormous amounts of Cocaine he consumed as a young man. (It affects your posture through making your muscles hunch and contract).

Well, that awkward position he chose to put his body in so many times when he sat on the stool to play drums surely played a major factor towards the serious back trouble he has to deal with as he ages. There are plenty of blockhead rock drummers who never had the good sense to consider proper posture and technique while playing drums and, from the photos I have seen of Henley behind a kit, his was easily one of the worst styles during his tenure with The Eagles.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby digimarsh on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:26 am

Having suffered back problems myself in the past , i would say that constant travelling and performing would be impossible.
On thing i can say about back trouble is that it is more likely as we age, the muscles in the back get weaker and the structure of the whole back suffers, the only way to reverse this process long term is to strengthen it. I started this a while ago and it led me eventually down the path of strength training and conditioning, diet too.Despite being 44 i have never felt so good , it's never too late either to adopt a different life style.Having said that i do not know the nature of David's problem and what caused it ,so i just hope he gets well and is back to normal soon.
David i wish you well , the tour can wait.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to Solo Work