Joan & David

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Joan & David

Postby hego on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:34 am

Just a few minutes ago via twitter:

JOAN AS POLICE WOMAN (@JOANPOLICEWOMAN)
18-12-11 05:35
Already back up in the Northern Country finishing songwriting w/David Sylvian 4 the recording of our new duets record. ELATION!
hego
Regular
Regular

Re: Joan & David

Postby silentwings on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:12 pm

Thanks for posting this news... ...intriguing!
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:38 pm

Joan has been tweeting further news 'first day in the studio with david sylvian, parker kindred and fred cash utter heaven' on 28 Dec, then today 'second day even better!', and a photo of herself and David in the studio, with the subtitle 'The Police Woman & Sylvian back in action'!!

Any reaction to the names mentioned above?

(I'm thinking perhaps this thread should be under Collaborations.... apologies if so..)
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby afternoonfix on Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:06 pm

afternoonfix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:40 pm

silentwings wrote: parker kindred and fred cash
Any reaction to the names mentioned above?

Those players usually work as Wasser's rhythm section...fairly nondescript and innocuous musicians, if you ask me. I'm sure that many fans will welcome some sort of return to structured music for Sylvian, and I wouldn't be opposed to such a project if the results are intriguing... but I was still sort of hoping that this particular project would find Sylvian pushing the boundaries for Wasser - I personally find her musical output to be quite mundane. Instead, she will most likely be carefully set in her comfort zone with musicians she is used to working with.
If he merely follows her lead and adapts to her style, then I'm sure that I'll find nothing of interest amongst the byproduct of these writing and recording sessions.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:13 am

"I wouldn't be opposed to such a project if the results are intriguing..."

I've found David's experimental music of the last few years to be truly fascinating and a rich creative period indeed. I will certainly keep an open mind as to the upcoming collaboration with Joan Wasser, on the basis that David's music has consistently surprised and challenged me, and has led me to so many musicians that I would never otherwise have discovered or enjoyed.
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Six One Cynic on Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Wow, Joan Wasser dated the late great Jeff Buckley, whose records came to define my teenage years, and now shes working with DS who takes up most of my listening time as an adult...this whole world is so small really, it just looks big.

I think the music will sound like DS' older fling with Blonde Redhead - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EZOm61t_YI
Six One Cynic
Regular
Regular

Postby javier on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:17 am

Yeah, Sylvian's previous contributions to her music were pretty underwhelming. Hopefully he'll be part of the writing process this time.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Serotonin on Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:51 pm

[/quote]I've found David's experimental music of the last few years to be truly fascinating and a rich creative period indeed. I will certainly keep an open mind as to the upcoming collaboration with Joan Wasser, on the basis that David's music has consistently surprised and challenged me, and has led me to so many musicians that I would never otherwise have discovered or enjoyed.[/quote]

Same here. I discovered many artists through David's collaborations and also by him mentioning his "likes". Joan Wasser is one of them. Since her input on "Slope" and his input on "To Survive", I searched her work, purchased all her albums and have seen her live a few times, so it's great that they are working together again... I'm sure that whatever they create, it will be very pleasing to my ears. Thank you everyone for all the info.
Serotonin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Blemished on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:47 am

From Twitter:

JOAN SOLO Sat NIte 3/17 City Winery NYC 8pm will be playing brand new songs from project w/ D Sylvian plus classic JAPW
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby silentwings on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks Blemished for that. Is anyone from our community attending? Would love to read more about this performance.....
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stephenf on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:20 pm

Whatever happened to this project?
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby hego on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:58 am

Ask David. ????