Your favourite album cover design?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Your favourite album cover design?

Postby Simonp on Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:19 pm

Sylvian is well known for his beautiful album sleeves. Just curious if any of you have a personal favourite and why? I love the sleeve V23 put together for "Approaching Silence" but I also love Russell Mills' painting on the cover of Gone To Earth
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:04 pm

I love the covers of Gone to Earth and Secrets of the Beehive...and I love the picture of Brilliant Trees...it's so simple.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:29 pm

My favorite cover of all time is the Gentlemen Take Polaroids cover... But as far as solo stuff... I would have to go with "Secrets of the beehive."

Also... What do you think of the Snow Borne Sorrow sleeve? When I look at it at a glance, it looks like 2 black socks to me! ;-D

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby sonic_chronicler on Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:21 pm

SOTB. No contest.

Japan-wise, it's a tie between Polaroids and Quiet Life

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:20 am

Silver Moon wrote:My favorite cover of all time is the Gentlemen Take Polaroids cover... But as far as solo stuff... I would have to go with "Secrets of the beehive."

Also... What do you think of the Snow Borne Sorrow sleeve? When I look at it at a glance, it looks like 2 black socks to me! ;-D

-K-

Black socks :lol: I actualy quite like the SBS sleeve, I like the simplicity of the design. I think the photo session Kevin Westenberg did of the band is pretty good too.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:44 am

The First Day....a simple picture depicting two legendary 'giants of art rock' as the persons they actually are....no preening, no posing, no pretension, no pomposity.... the guards are down, the masks are off.
I have never met Sylvian but I once was fortunate enough to have spent several hours in the company of Fripp and Gunn(May 1992, a few weeks before the Sylvian Fripp Gunn tour of Italy and therefore a few weeks before this picture was taken). And Fripp was highly affable, quick witted, jovial and at some points downright raunchy. The picture's accurate of how Fripp truly is when he allows himself to get out of 'thinking man mode' ....and I've always had the inkling that it's a good chance that behind the scenes, Sylvian is closer to this image than the melancholy character he chooses to portray in public.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:00 am

baht habit wrote:Fripp was highly affable, quick witted, jovial and at some points downright raunchy. The picture's accurate of how Fripp truly is when he allows himself to get out of 'thinking man mode' ....and I've always had the inkling that it's a good chance that behind the scenes, Sylvian is closer to this image than the melancholy character he chooses to portray in public.

... Yes, back in March, I went to go see Robert Fripp perfrom his Soundscapes. Before the show, he showed us a few photo's he had taken. (Including one of David Sylvian!) And one of the pictures was of a toilet! He gave a huge explaination about the toilet and it was hilarious. He then answered questions after the show, and sometimes he used quite vulger language!! I was thinking "What? I didn't know Robert Fripp was funny!!" :D

As for Mr. Sylvian, ... I sometimes wonder the same thing! Because it occured to me that when I am at school, I am very quiet and serious... but when I am at home, or around people I know well... I am a goof. So perhaps it could be the same? One can only guess!

Back on topic about sleeves... I like the Snow Borne Sorrow sleeve, too... I forgot to mention at a glance, it looks like black socks laying in the snow. I guess it's fitting! :-)

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:16 pm

hhmm my favourite is brilliant trees. I do enjoy the blemish cd cover as well.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:19 am

I'd say Gone to Earth and Quiet Life.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:54 pm

BT - definately. fresh design for the times - typography is beautiful and it was kinda mysterious to me in a way...dunno why.
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby gokartmozart on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:39 pm

GTP - The first one I bought and admire it still. (I would really like to see all the photos from that shoot). Captures for me Japan's image in transition.

I didn't like Dead Bees when I first saw it but it has really grown on me in an Art Brut-kinda way. I see elements of Chagall and Klee in a sweet nightmare. I also like the typography.

I picked up the Pop Song CD single in a cramped Japanese shop (down an alleyway, up some wooden stairs over the produce shop, in a clearance bin). I never mind stumbling across that cover when digging in my stash. :P
"The world is a king, and, like a king, desires flattery in return for a favor; but true art is selfish and perverse - it will not submit to the mold of flattery." Ludwig von Beethoven
gokartmozart
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby fletchertronics on Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:49 pm

baht habit wrote:The First Day....a simple picture depicting two legendary 'giants of art rock' as the persons they actually are....no preening, no posing, no pretension, no pomposity.... the guards are down, the masks are off.
I have never met Sylvian but I once was fortunate enough to have spent several hours in the company of Fripp and Gunn(May 1992, a few weeks before the Sylvian Fripp Gunn tour of Italy and therefore a few weeks before this picture was taken). And Fripp was highly affable, quick witted, jovial and at some points downright raunchy... and I've always had the inkling that it's a good chance that behind the scenes, Sylvian is closer to this image than the melancholy character he chooses to portray in public.

I have met both David and Robert, and concur - they can both be very quick-witted / jovial individuals :-)

As for my favourite Sylvian cover – that's a hard one, but at a push I might go with Brilliant Trees... or, the original Damage... or, Everything And Nothing.

Nope, I can't really choose.
fletchertronics
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby GentlemenTakePolaroids on Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:20 pm

Sleeve for the Red Guitar single, the one where David lets out a big puff of smoke that curls around his face.... I think he's gazing straight at you as he's inhaling. One word, gorgeous. ;-)

-AND-
GTP is a classic first on my list.
GentlemenTakePolaroids
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Melaszka on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:37 am

I love all the photos in the Everything and Nothing cover booklet.

Am I alone in finding all the samadhisound cover art (and DBOAC) a but wanky?
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Solo Work