Dead Bees on a Cake

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Dead Bees on a Cake?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:37 pm

I only gave it consideration because it was an album by David Sylvian.
No votes
Haven't heard it.
13%
I think it stands on its own as a respectful work of art.
75%
I've got some conflicting feelings on that matter.
13%

Total votes : 8

Postby Burnsjed on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:04 am

As always bought this album when it was released and with out hearing.
I get the impression that there are a lot of younger listeners on here, and I think the problem with liking Sylvian since his Japan days, is that you had to go through all the years and years inbetween albums (well it certainly seemed like a life time inbetween anyway), and maybe thats is why alot of Sylvian fans thought this was weak.
A long wait and it seemed very dissapointing, really middle of the road, and seemed to be quite clearly influenced by his life in America.
Thought the jazz influence had been replaced by a more blues influence, which came across on quite a few of the tracks.
Don't get me wrong, there are a few top tracks on here, but compared to previous releases was an anti-climax.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:09 am

Funny, because it's one of my fave albums of him. Didn't know so many people hated it!
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:54 am

Burnsjed wrote:...I think the problem with liking Sylvian since his Japan days, is that you had to go through all the years and years inbetween albums (well it certainly seemed like a life time inbetween anyway), and maybe thats is why alot of Sylvian fans thought this was weak.
A long wait and it seemed very dissapointing, really middle of the road, and seemed to be quite clearly influenced by his life in America.

12 years since SOTB was a long wait for a new solo album. Playing it for the first time, I thought that it sounded distinctly MOR, and the lyrics lacked the introspective nature of his prior works. It was that introspection which had made me feel that David's songs spoke about things that I was feeling but could never articulate, certainly not in as beautiful a manner. I didn't feel that with DBOAC. I like it better now, appreciate it for different reasons, but I still think of it as Suburban Sylvian - married, being a dad, etc. - and yet the songs didn't sound happy or hopeful. It seemed that lyrics which read 'happy' or 'content' were mated to sludge-like melodies, imo. David stated that this was an openly celebratory album, but the celebration sounds so low-key, like nobody attended the party except the host, and the balloons popped and the cake was stale.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby BeehiveSecrets on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:37 pm

heartofdavid wrote:
Burnsjed wrote: David stated that this was an openly celebratory album, but the celebration sounds so low-key, like nobody attended the party except the host, and the balloons popped and the cake was stale.

oh my, this phrase killed me!

as far as i've listened, DBOC ain't my favorite for sure; but it surely does include atleast a few good songs. i believe i'll still get more into it. but yes, you really can sense that change of David's living place in my oppinion.
BeehiveSecrets
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:28 pm

this is one of my favourite of his cds. it has diversity and yet flows well, in my opinion. Thalheim being one of my most favourite cuts from the album. Love it.... moves me like no other.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to Solo Work