Implausible Beauty setlist

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Implausible Beauty setlist

Postby inkinthewell on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:02 pm

Bern wrote:this site should be for all Sylvian fans regardless of what period of his work they favour, if Japanfan doesn't like the Manafon/Died in the Wool period then he/she? has the right to voice that

:smt038
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:39 pm

People have every right to be stuck in the early 80s... Sad.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:08 pm

Each to their own I guess, but it does seem a bit daft to be hoping for a concert that avoids Blemish & Manafon material given just how explicit David has been that he left the old stuff behind in 2007.

And it is getting old. We are as far away from Tin Drum now as 1951 was on it's release! Thankfully, much of it (and the solo work especially) has been proven timeless, but personally I hate the whole nostalgia / reformation / re-playing classic albums live thing.

David is probably one of the few artists who could still bring something new to old material but why bother when he is still so creatively alive?
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby natsume on Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:14 pm

Blemished wrote:
personally I hate the whole nostalgia / reformation / re-playing classic albums live thing.

It can be a good thing. I have seen Gary Numan, Sonic Youth, and Cheap Trick do nostalgia/classic album shows, and they were fantastic. I would have gone to see Ultravox if I had had the chance.

Seeing the great YMO play a summer nostalgia show outside in Tokyo this year was a highlight of my time in Japan. In my mind, YMO can pull this off with particular grace in that each member has had such a solidly successful and prolific solo career since that bands demise, so the kind of creeping feeling that it is just a sellout is not there, and they smartly only play a few shows each this past number of years. Besides, I was pleasantly surprised at how good they are now.

But, I am firmly in the camp that think this would be horrible with Sylvian, and frankly will never happen. It is not always a good idea, and often a very bad one.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tulipmania on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:08 am

I think he should perform some of these;

Died in the wool
Snow white in appalachia
Adolescent sex
Darshan (on acoustic guitar)
The beekeepers apprentice
Life in Tokyo
Firepower (with Fripp guesting)
tulipmania
Regular
Regular

Postby japanfan on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:39 pm

Six One Cynic wrote:Very well said!

Though it's not impossible he might show us the old stuff, it's just defeatist and disturbing to see the same old ghosts of this community rattle the cage with hopes that things will go back to the days of Jurassic Park! That David will came unto the people of Milan next March, glittered with hair fabulously flaxen!

You lot should emigrate to Ebay with its ancient treasures and just have done with your disappointment and turn away from David Sylvian as he confidently moves forward, don't look at any new headlines or scan any recent videos of the upcoming tour, for it would seem to anger you.

I don't have to go that far back, i loved the nine horses stuff and the songs he did with Steve on Slope.
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:42 pm

tulipmania wrote:I think he should perform some of these;

Died in the wool
Snow white in appalachia
Adolescent sex
Darshan (on acoustic guitar)
The beekeepers apprentice
Life in Tokyo
Firepower (with Fripp guesting)

If he did any Japan or Sylvian/Fripp stuff and i didnt buy a ticket id be major gutted!
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:06 pm

...so let's hope the visitors of the first Italian show will post a set list, so you can decide if you gonna buy a ticket or not...
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:10 pm

Chet wrote:...so let's hope the visitors of the first Italian show will post a set list, so you can decide if you gonna buy a ticket or not...

Yeah that would be cool.
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby shesgotmedals on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:42 am

Seriously, you want to know the setlist before purchase..... I'd buy a ticket to see Mr S even if was going to sing Boyzone songs.... :D
As Orpheus sings of the promise tomorrow may bring
shesgotmedals
Regular
Regular

Postby Stoobie on Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:39 pm

shesgotmedals wrote:Seriously, you want to know the setlist before purchase..... I'd buy a ticket to see Mr S even if was going to sing Boyzone songs.... :D

SAME HERE !

Stuart
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sakurafleur on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:48 am

I was quite surprised to see that he is playing the Royal Albert Hall. It seems like a huge venue to fill now that he has gone the more 'Avant-garde' route. I felt he lost quite a few people in the last tour. I actually saw people walking out of the Royal Festival Hall.

The Albert Hall is such a huge space to fill... musically I mean. I really find it a tricky venue for certain kinds of music.

I guess we'll see though - well, I won't. I won't be able to go, but I am interested to hear reports.
- it is as it should be -
sakurafleur
Regular
Regular

Postby baht habit on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:06 pm

sakurafleur wrote:I was quite surprised to see that he is playing the Royal Albert Hall. It seems like a huge venue to fill now that he has gone the more 'Avant-garde' route. I felt he lost quite a few people in the last tour. I actually saw people walking out of the Royal Festival Hall.

Wow, I have to make mention that I am very surprised that any fan would walk out on a concert during The World Is Everything tour in 2007. I would think that most of the song choices for that particular set list would have kept the audience quite content due to the relatively conservative presentation of the material, past and present....Now I could envision Sylvian himself coming to the point of walking out during a performance on that tour,... :twisted:

Are you perhaps referring to the 2003 tour, where the first half was dedicated to performing Blemish in its entirety?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:44 am

Okay I'm getting a bit impatient...when will David be announcing who will be performing with him on the forthcoming tour?????
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sakurafleur on Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:00 am

Baht - no it was the 2007 concert. Someone even heckled.

I think it's because they thought he was going to play songs from Japan days and obviously it was nothing like that.

Talking of that concert - I do remember not enjoying it as much as others because it felt to me like David was just not into it. Maybe it was just that particular night...
- it is as it should be -
sakurafleur
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work