Manafon redundant due to Died In The Wool....?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Manafon redundant due to Died In The Wool....?

Postby afternoonfix on Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Now that I have Died In The Wool for a while - and even though I bought Manafon 3 times [vinyl/special cd package & normal cd-christ -must stop doing that]-and even though I was not mad about both releases - I find i keep playing
Died In The Wool as opposed to Manafon --

Unlike Blemish - and the Good Son Vs the Only Daughter - I'd always play Blemish

My point being ,has Manafon become a bit redundant with others also ?
afternoonfix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Manafon redundant due to Died In The Wool....?

Postby karnsculpture on Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:21 pm

Not me, I prefer the Manafon versions of the Manafon tracks and like the new numbers, so the ideal for me would be Manafon + the new tracks. Small Metal Gods in particular is better in its original version.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:49 pm

afternoonfix wrote:has Manafon become a bit redundant with others also ?

Not this other,...either. :-) Besides the fact that I will undoubtedly always remain partial towards the originals in their most striking form - For me personally, John Tilbury's piano playing all in itself keeps the original versions on Manafon as quite necessary. Not to mention that a good sized portion of the content on Manafon is not accounted for in any way on Died In The Wool :
I believe that for the foreseeable future, I'll always need to hear the relaxed crooning on 'The Rabbit Skinner' following the minimalistic folk song 'Small Metal Gods' to be made aware that I am listening to Sylvian's true representation of a unique project that took 5 years to be brought to completion...A favored listening experience of mine is altering the track sequence and following the stark tale of terrorism 'Random Acts Of Senseless Violence' with the delicately odd jazz flavor of 'The Department Of Dead Letters' - and that just can't be achieved by putting Died In The Wool in the player. And lastly, I don't want to only listen to some 'coda' regarding 'The Greatest Living Englishman', when I can find greater enjoyment in the entirety of the 11 minute experience.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:04 am

me neither. I like to have both, please.

however, I did some minor changes to the sequencing to produce not-really-more, not-so-different, but indeed better versions of both albums, as follows.

- Manafon:

*put '125 Spheres' before 'The Greatest Living Englishman',
*insert 'Anomaly at Taw Head' between 'Snow White in Appalachia' and 'Emily Dickinson'.

- Died in the Wool:

*replace 'Anomaly at Taw Head' with 'Five Lines'.

satisfied!
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:53 am

For me, my enjoyment of Manafon has been enhanced by the arrival of Died in the Wool. I love them both.

I now appreciate the sparse settings of the original even more, and the orchestral arrangements add new perspectives. Unlike some comments I have seen, I find that the strings on 'Snow White..' provide an intriguing accompaniment which I enjoy very much - as I do the Fennesz-drone based original.

As ever these releases lead me to investigate the recordings of the collaborators, I have been enjoying 'Wrapped Islands' by Polwechsel and Fennesz, 'Field' by Polwechsel and John Tilbury, and various compositions of Dai Fujikura.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:25 am

Died in The Wool is a great album with several highlights - I Should Not Dare, Certain Slant, Appalachia and December. HOWEVER, I do prefer the Manafon versions of Small Metal Gods and certainly the title track is far superior in its original form
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:52 pm

I prefer all the originals on Manafon to the reworked pieces. DITW is interesting and totally justified for me as any release by David is something to cherish. CSOF is top notch and ISND is one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever heard and it's seems to me to such a poignant piece after what happened to Mick.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Solo Work