The Wire review: Died in the wool

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: The Wire review: Died in the wool

Postby Simonp on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:22 am

Tin Bird wrote:. I Should not Dare is OK...it's no Fire in the Forest, but it's OK. frankly the rest of the new tracks just sound like Manafon rejects to me and like I said, this remix stuff hasn't connected with me at all. I suppose I am in the camp of truly hoping that he returns to a somewhat more traditional song structure. He is such a brillant song writer that it seems such a shame to have him mired in such dire waters forever. The world has enough click and pop experimental records (I should know, I've made quite a few of them myself ;-), it will never have enough heartbreaking, soul chilling Sylvian classic songs. My 1 1/2 cents.

I actually think I Should Not Dare is BETTER than Fire in the Forest. Traditional song structure as in verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus? I don't think Sylvian has ever really followed this format to be honest. I think it's a bit unfair to label this a "click" record. There's so much more to it than that. The whole "click/glitch" thing is pretty one dimensional to be honest and this record demonstrates a lot more attention to detail than most of whats happening in the glitch scene.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby afternoonfix on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:42 pm

I actually think I Should Not Dare is BETTER than Fire in the Forest

Not a hope man ,they are leagues apart.
afternoonfix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:06 pm

SimonP, if you think I should not Dare is better than Fire in the Forest...that's cool. I completely disagree, but different strokes. Not trying to be confrontational at all here, but your comment about Sylvian and song structure seems to suggest that perhaps I don't know much about his music or have an understanding of song structure in general. Of course Sylvian has always been on the cutting edge of pop music, Ghosts, is a good example. But, your suggestion that he never had a somewhat traditional song strucure is not accurate...many of his songs Red Guitar, Silver Moon, Blackwater, Jean the Birdman, Thalheim, Darkest Birds, Orpheus...etc etc...they were different, unique, somewhat dark and experimental..but they were songs, with bridges and choruses, variation, sometimes even catchy, not just the seeming stream of conscious monotone halk speak that he has been doing recently. As for pop n click...while I did grow to like the three tracks on Manafon I mentioned before, I think that by having all of the tracks essentially cut from the same improvised cloth really limits the potential of the songs..they all end up sounding samey and the vocal lines seem to follow suite. I was (and am) cool with him taking new directions. Thought Blemish was awesome...and even Manafon had it's moments...but for me this direction has run it's course and Died in the Wool is superflurous.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to Solo Work