Died In The Wool - new album

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Died In The Wool - new album

Postby Foales Arishes on Tue May 17, 2011 1:11 pm

Can't wait... though I have to wait for Fathers Days (June 19th) to get it, a decision I'm now regretting :?

Love the atmosphere of the pieces, from the little we get to hear... and most interested by WWRYWRU - I'm one of the relative few who like 'When Loud Weather...' so I'm more keen to hear this former installation piece than the rest of the CD.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Six One Cynic on Wed May 18, 2011 10:19 am

"I Should Not Dare" now streaming on DS' facebook!
Six One Cynic
Regular
Regular

Postby baht habit on Wed May 18, 2011 12:45 pm

Six One Cynic wrote:"I Should Not Dare" now streaming on DS' facebook!

Thanks for making that known, Six One Cynic.
Last edited by baht habit on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Foales Arishes on Wed May 18, 2011 1:31 pm

Six One Cynic wrote:"I Should Not Dare" now streaming on DS' facebook!

Fantastic track!... I absolutely love it. The only minor thing is the loosely strummed acoustic guitar sounds slightly off key to me, and it's position or treatment in the mix is slightly uncomfortable... at least to my ear.

There is a definite Eno 'On Land' vibe to this and even more so on other tracks on DITW which I love.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sakurafleur on Wed May 18, 2011 6:12 pm

i wondered if that saxaphone sound was a tribute to mick in some way. it sounds very mick...
- it is as it should be -
sakurafleur
Regular
Regular

Postby baht habit on Wed May 18, 2011 7:05 pm

:-) It's quite convenient that Fennesz and Sylvian would actually be commissioned to work with Emily Dickinson's words after releasing a piece named for the poet less than a year earlier.
I probably wouldn't have personally considered those two particular tracks to fit in all that well with the theme of "Manafon Variations" if it had not been for the inclusion of a track titled 'Emily Dickinson' on the original release. They both sound as if they have been structured with a completely separate mindset when compared with the much more challenging content of the remainder of the disc.
From the DITW microsite:

Inspired by a commission Christian Fennesz and I had received, I’d also been working on a series of songs based on the poems of Emily Dickinson. As Dai hadn’t tackled the entire Manafon album I decided to send the tracks he’d omitted to Jan Bang to see what he’d make of them. Jan and I had been in close contact for a couple of years, and I felt his approach to remixing in general (he and Erik had produced wonderful remixes for me in the past) plus his delicately impressionistic way with texture and impressively manipulative sampling technique might work well on some of the pieces. We started with “I Should Not Dare,” the Dickinson poem that Christian and I had been commissioned to produce months earlier. Jan added some beautiful orchestral elements to our original arrangement. We then went on to a second poem and then finally tracks from Manafon itself. Jan brought Erik onboard and things appeared to fall into place very quickly. I completed the final mixes but Jan, Erik and Dai presented the work to me in fairly complete form so, with the exception of the new compositions, the final mixes more or less took care of themselves. 
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sat May 21, 2011 2:27 am

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Mon May 23, 2011 4:02 pm

I held the album in my hand at HMV Canary Wharf today - but will wait as I've ordered it from samadhi. Great to see it stocked by a major High St store.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon May 23, 2011 10:36 pm

During the first listen to DITW, the one moment which probably stood out the most for me personally was hearing the casual interplay between Sylvian's acoustic guitar and John Tilbury's piano on Anomaly At Taw Head. I really didn't expect that at all. Not only was it great to learn that Tilbury actually appears on a new track, but it was a genuine surprise to hear some solo licks by Sylvian trading off with Tilbury's contributions.
The rattling percussion from Eddie Prevost on the title cut was a nice touch as well, bringing in yet another aspect of EAI which was not at all evident on Sylvian's previous releases....and I must agree with the comments about The Last Days Of December --- a fantastic performance in every facet of the track.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby digimarsh on Tue May 24, 2011 8:41 am

Downloaded the album from amazon yesterday morning, at £7.50 ,it is a real bargin.my early impressions are favourable but there is lot going on ,so a lot more listening required to absorb it properly.I should not Dare is fantastic ,memorable in fact , one of Davids best of all time perhaps!
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Six One Cynic on Tue May 24, 2011 8:27 pm

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/luisterpa ... l.44759898

entire new album (oops, with the exception of RETURN) now streaming

first impression is that most of the material is pretty extreme, highly original and totally unexpected despite the soundbites being in constant rotation the last month or so...it's a bit more melodic than Manafon, the feeling is that of hearing some of these songs like its the first time.
Six One Cynic
Regular
Regular

Postby natsume on Tue May 24, 2011 11:21 pm

I wonder if talks are in the works for presnting this live at the moment? It was the impetus for the project in the first place, right?

It is a good thing that Dai Fujikura is a huge Syslvian fan, that will hopefully give something like that the momentum it deserves. (Can't count on David for that.)
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby digimarsh on Wed May 25, 2011 3:18 am

Having listened to the album a few times now , i am enjoying it.One thing that struck me was the vocal on I Should Not Dare,it reminds me of his style of 25 years ago more than his more recent drier delivery,in fact the whole track is similar to that period.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed May 25, 2011 8:30 am

My copy's just arrived. Beautiful packaging. Can't wait to get home tonight to listen to it through headphones!!! Slightly intrigued by "I Should Not Dare" which is dedicated to "N.O."...any ideas anyone?
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sakurafleur on Fri May 27, 2011 5:11 pm

no one?
- it is as it should be -
sakurafleur
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext