Died In The Wool - new album

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Died In The Wool - new album

Postby kitaj on Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:39 pm

fantastic as always, Baht. thank you.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Six One Cynic on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:49 pm

DS is my world; his music is my life and these samples; I'm inhaling them like air - I Should Not Dare raises my hair because I know it's all about Mick and DS coming to terms with his death....
Six One Cynic
Regular
Regular

Postby karnsculpture on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:42 am

Six One Cynic wrote:DS is my world; his music is my life and these samples; I'm inhaling them like air - I Should Not Dare raises my hair because I know it's all about Mick and DS coming to terms with his death....

"The Last Days of December" and also "A Certain Slant Of Light" as that was dedicated to MK both make me think along similar lines.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby digimarsh on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:53 am

Thanks Baht for the valuble insight, it's a perfectly understandable reason then for the edit, can,t wait to hear what this version is like.
After reading the rational behind it all, this brings home the problems faced by an artist when taking work of this kind and then putting it out as a commercial release, aside from potential technical problems (as was the case here) an artist has to consider how the piece will translate itself when exposed to more conventional listening,a higher degree of scrutiny so to speak.
For example take Approaching Silence, compared to something like Flux and Mutability, the latter a beautifull record
very provocative and enchanting ,a wonderfull listening experience.Whilst AS is unable to capture the listener in the same way, this is just a by product of the origin of the material.But of course there will be a clamour by fans for an artist/composer to realease all material ,therefore having bowed to pressure the artist has the problem.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby digimarsh on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:00 am

[quote="missouriman"]Is baht habit infact David Sylvian? Just wondered...

Wish he was by the way , lol , if so, loving your work Baht (sylvian) :smt006
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:15 am

digimarsh wrote:
missouriman wrote:Is baht habit infact David Sylvian? Just wondered...

Wish he was by the way , lol , if so, loving your work Baht (sylvian) :smt006

:D

I'm certainly loving his work here for years now :smt006
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby missouriman on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:39 am

Baht is the currency of Thailand and Steve Jansen is married to a Thai lady, Gobi.

Maybe it's Steve? Hi Steve! ;-) I enjoy your work also. Heck, I enjoy everything except milk.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby digimarsh on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:12 am

will the real Baht reveal himself, David and Steve are of course the Batt brothers
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:56 am

So I've been doing my best to take account of the many performers who appear on these new tracks, where my main focus lies. I must be somewhat honest that I have very little interest in any of the re-interpretations, since I deem the originals to be thoroughly appealing just as they were released on Manafon.
Though I know that there will surely be omissions and accuracy is probably negligible when it comes to the particular instrumentation, so far this is what I've got:

"Died In The Wool" includes contributions from Jan Bang, Erik Honore, Dai Fujikura, Kate Romano on clarinet, Skuli Sverrisson on upright bass, Keith Rowe on his table top guitar and assortment of electronics, John Butcher on saxophone, and Eddie Prevost handling the percussion.

The contributors to "I Should Not Dare" include Jan Bang, Erik Honore, Christian Fennesz on treated guitar and Ståle Storløkken on keyboards. Jan Bang, Erik Honore and trumpeter Arve Henriksen contributed to "A Certain Slant Of Light".

"Anomaly At Taw Head" includes contributions from Dai Fujikura, saxophonist Evan Parker, cellist Marcio Mattos....Apparently Sylvian gathered a bunch of cut and spliced edits to form the basis of this particular piece so there is a strong chance that other participants from any of the three sessions for Manafon could appear on this track.

Members of the International Contemporary Ensemble, including violinists Jennifer Curtis and Erik Carlson, perform the orchestration by Fujikura on "The Last Days Of December".

"When We Return You Won't Recognise Us" features Fujikura and members of ICE, saxophonist John Butcher, percussionists Eddie Prevost and Gunter Muller, trumpeter Arve Henriksen and Toshimaru Nakamura on his no-input mixing board.

So that's what I can somewhat figure out for the moment. If anyone has any info to add or would like to correct anything I have written above, that would be helpful.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:27 am

Hehe, people used to think (even me, for a little while) that Baht was David Sylvian ever since he joined! Though now I am (99%) certain he is NOT David Sylvian. ;)

I am really looking forward to the new album! And... I actually really like the cover! :shock:

And Baht... Thank you, as always, for all of the juicy details! :)
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby baht habit on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:18 pm

Everyone should be 100 % sure.
I reside in New Jersey, and that alone could qualify me as the ultimate outsider. :-) But enough about me... :oops:
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tracycowell on Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:32 am

"I Should Not Dare" literally reduced me to tears of happiness, a beautiful song, your voice David (if you are reading this!) is perfection. I'm in awe of your beauty.... :smt007
Ask yourself: Do I know who I am? Perform sincere self-inquiry, and find the permanent solution to all of life’s problems. — Amma
tracycowell
Regular
Regular

Postby Serotonin on Mon May 09, 2011 6:07 pm

tracycowell wrote:"I Should Not Dare" literally reduced me to tears of happiness, a beautiful song, your voice David (if you are reading this!) is perfection. I'm in awe of your beauty.... :smt007

I second that TOTALLY! I love him and his music so much...
Serotonin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Tue May 17, 2011 10:19 am

Brief yet alternate samples and durations of the tracks have been posted on the Amazon website:

http://www.amazon.com/Died-In-The-Wool/dp/B004YPDK3Q

Small Metal Gods and When We Return You Won't Recognise Us seem to be switched by mistake.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Tue May 17, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks Baht...the clips have only made me MORE excited about this release. Sounds beautiful, Can't wait to hear "when we return..." in its entirety
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work