Thalheim

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Thalheim

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:17 pm

Does anyone know what the definition is of this and how it pertains to the song David wrote?
I tried looking it up and it appears to be a place in austria and germany, but that was all i could find on it.
I love this song and would love to have some idea what david meant by it.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sheisnot on Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:20 pm

Thalheim is in Germany, I think. One of David's gurus lived there for a while. I think he had an epiphany there, both in his relationship with his guru and with Ingrid, his wife at the time. I believe more detail is given in the Spike Magazine article with him. Google it and you should find it.
It is all entirely perfect--it is as it should be.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:49 am

She I'm tellin ya you are my guru!!!! THANK YOU! looking it up now :-)

MY GOODNESS SHE YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!! I found it! It states while visiting a Hindu guru in Thalheim Germany he experienced his first moment of "Darshan ('view' or 'revelation')". That is awesome :-)
thanks again!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sheisnot on Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:50 pm

You're welcome!
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:23 pm

Ok just to knock this subject up again....

I'm still completely enraptured by this song.... I just can't get enough of it. Does anyone else completely love this song???
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sheisnot on Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:13 pm

I like it a lot, but nothing moves me like "Orpheus" does.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Crickett on Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:34 am

For Several Years Thalhiem and Darkest Dreaming were my favorite Sylvian tracks!!!!!!!

Thalhiem is Sylvian at his emotional perfection........

and why this wasn't on "EVERYTHING & NOTHING" baffels me
Crickett
Regular
Regular

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:50 am

Yes that is a very good question, crickett!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:37 am

Thalheim is indeed a place in Germany and is also the name of an Indian Holy woman by the name of Mother Meera who David and Ingrid visited. During "darshan" with her you basically kneel in front of her and look into her eyes. Nothing is said apparently and some sort of spiritual connection/vision is made. I have my doubts after reading a lot of stuff about spiritual gurus. Meera, while preaching ascetic living, apparently has stacks of cash in banks across Europe. If anyone wants to read more about her read Andrew Harvey's Hidden Journey which documents his meeting with her and how he became her disciple. Later books however shunned this relationship as Harvey became the target of death threats from Meera's disciples if he exposed truths about her including her hatred of homosexuals. Harvey himself is a homosexual and she demanded that he cut of ties with his lover and then he wrote how Meera had healed him of his illness.

This is true, I ain't making this stuff up.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:17 pm

This may very well be true. There are plenty of terrible gurus out there... as well as their being many very legitimate. Lets not condemn them all based upon what one does.

I personally wouldn't put all my faith into a person... our faith should be something that is part of ourselves and touches the divine light. It is inside of us all the time. We just have to be open enough to allow it to resonate.

I think the pursuit of following a guru is equal to when you need or require a mentor in a chosen area. They hold a certain amount of wisdom, but shouldn't be listened to or accepted blindly.

Has anyone seen the new documentary film called Darshan: The Embrace? It is the following of Amma... she is known as the hugging saint. Well known for her charitable donations and fighting for peace. I'm looking forward to its dvd release on Nov. 14th.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:25 pm

Amma was featured on one of the episodes of Globe Trekker, a travel program shown on PBS. It was maybe a 15 minute segment where the host visited her compound in India, met her and received a hug. Quite interesting.

There was a video about Amma available off her website, I believe the music for it was composed by David.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:09 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:This may very well be true. There are plenty of terrible gurus out there... as well as their being many very legitimate. Lets not condemn them all based upon what one does.

I personally wouldn't put all my faith into a person... our faith should be something that is part of ourselves and touches the divine light. It is inside of us all the time. We just have to be open enough to allow it to resonate.

I think the pursuit of following a guru is equal to when you need or require a mentor in a chosen area. They hold a certain amount of wisdom, but shouldn't be listened to or accepted blindly.

I am not saying that Meera is a terrible guru by any means. I am only going by the accounts I have read. "Hidden Journey" is well worth reading if only to get an insight into what Harvey experienced on his initial meeting with Meera and the years which followed. I could be wrong but I'm not 100% certain that you fully understand the concept of the guru/disciple relationship which is possibly why you aren't entirely comfortable with the idea of total surrender to another human being. Its a complex subject which makes for fascinating reading. One book which describes various individuals relationships and experiences with their teachers is "Do You Need A Guru?". Well worth a read
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Need-Guru-Under ... F8&s=books
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:44 pm

Ok now i'm feeling mad... netflix has no listing of darshan:the embrace on their forthcoming new release list... BAH!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:27 am

just wanted to say that I also really like Thalheim
but the Shining of Things is my DBOC favourite.
these two songs might even appear on my top ten of Sylvian songs.
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stoobie on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:06 am

Chet wrote:just wanted to say that I also really like Thalheim
but the Shining of Things is my DBOC favourite.
these two songs might even appear on my top ten of Sylvian songs.

Same here Chet i just love Thalheim and wished he would have played it live on Tour !

Stuart
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Solo Work