Armani / Nadal / Sylvian

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Armani / Nadal / Sylvian

Postby Blemished on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 am

Downloading music without paying for it is theft. It might be justifiable at the margins - bootlegs, impossible to find tracks etc - but other than that it is theft. Music is still hugely expensive to make professionally, despite the computer age. I know there's a generational divide here, but it is what it is. And second-hand records have at least been paid for in the first place.

As far as the ad goes, I think it's great that some of David's more difficult work is getting commercial exposure. If it leads someone to think 'wow, what is that music' and to start to explore the Sylvian catalogue then that's great.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby billster on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:12 am

I'm not justifying illegal downloads or the morality of it or defending the act.

Im stating the fact that recording artistes don't make as much music from official releases as they once did for this reason. Fact.

And so yes- Sylvian's music appearing on Ads, whilst once maybe perceived as a bit 'naff' - maybe, - is now wholly justified.

i think its a great ad.
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby swordofdestiny on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:27 am

/
Last edited by swordofdestiny on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
swordofdestiny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby billster on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:36 am

deleted due to argument with G/F causing me to be nasty on forum.
Last edited by billster on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby swordofdestiny on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:41 am

/
Last edited by swordofdestiny on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
swordofdestiny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby billster on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:46 am

deleted to no contest in debate, the antagonizer being dumb as a stuffed rock.
Last edited by billster on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby opiate on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:53 am

The deleted/edited posts though make for very strange reading due to not having a linear path on the discussion. Can I suggest, if really offensive, to remove them entirely?
I hear them breathing
They know what I have done, all that I've been through
I tell them secrets
And who's to say it isn't so?
opiate
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby opiate on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:07 pm

billster wrote:most reading this download- many at any rate - sylvian's music Illegally (I do).

Without seeing the evidence of stats on this, I'm going to stick my neck out here, and say I disagree. I think Sylvian has a particular niche audience and mainly a core that involves buying music legitimately. Bootlegs are one thing but downloading albums is a no-no.

I can't say if this ad will lead consumers to tie this to Sylvians music and therefore an increase in exposure. I see no accreditation apart from Samadhisound having publicized the link. I'm not convinced this is the reasoning behind it anyway, but I sincerely hope it was a well considered, pre-emptive move in this direction and not because of serious pragmatic pressures (ie no money).
I hear them breathing
They know what I have done, all that I've been through
I tell them secrets
And who's to say it isn't so?
opiate
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby swordofdestiny on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:19 pm

opiate wrote:The deleted/edited posts though make for very strange reading due to not having a linear path on the discussion. Can I suggest, if really offensive, to remove them entirely?

I wish I could, but forum rules say once a post has been replied to ONLY admins can delete. So I edited. I wish I had stayed on vacation a day longer and not seen the stupid advert now.
swordofdestiny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:38 pm

opiate wrote:I can't say if this ad will lead consumers to tie this to Sylvians music and therefore an increase in exposure.

These are the comments on the youtube page that focus on the music:

No David. Surely not :(

video is grt but too short though want to see more of his sexy ass

Stunning use of the David Sylvian track Trauma.

awesome music!!!!!

if this is an intro or outro 2 a song then fine, cause it's not music. it's sound. i don't get the whole "genius" david sylvian, japan thing. i just don't get it.

if this is an intor or outro 2 a song than fine, but it's not music. i don't get the whold "genius" d. s. thing.

excellent and courageous music choice. Bravi!!!

Great ! the choice of music really adds to making this stand out

Perfect soundtrack :-)

music by David Sylvian, eh?

Good. But why David Sylvian?
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:39 pm

inkinthewell wrote:video is grt but too short though want to see more of his sexy booty

Ooops! :lol:
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby 1.Outside on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:09 pm

I dont think it works as a combination of film and music but fair play to Sylvian for getting the gig. It's good exposure for him.
1.Outside
Noob
Noob

Postby digimarsh on Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:39 pm

mmmmm, the thorney isssue of illegal downloads causes a fairly fierce debate.

In My own personal opinion ;
Artists deserve to be paid for their work, the costs incurred recording,mixing and marketing the work is largely paid for by sales, it has to be ,it's the only way to carry on in the music business.If you support an artist (as i do with someone like DS),its only natural to pay the going rate for material and ensure your artist can continue to output material.
Music is relatively cheap ,there is no excuse for piracey, for example to Download from Samadhi will only set you back £7.99.Support music pay for your pleasure,keep people like Mr Sylvian in the business of recording.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby swordofdestiny on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:42 am

On the subject of artists who let their music be used in ads, here's a question to Sweden's The Knife:

Pitchfork: Last question: tell me about the decision to let Jose Gonzalez's cover of "Heartbeats" be the soundtrack to that Sony Bravia ad.

KD: We've never sold any of our own performed tracks to any commercials, so it was very hard for us. It doesn't really feel that good, but the question came when we were in the middle of Silent Shout, and we didn't have any money or anything, so it made it possible to continue working on the album, the videos and the live show. It made it possible to do quite a lot, but at the same time, it's dirty money.
swordofdestiny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sisterlondon on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:55 am

piggymirror wrote:I can´t see any relationship between a David Sylvian song and a Latin American tennis player...

Errr... why don't you get the facts right? Nadal is Spanish, from the Balearic Islands... Latin American? How? Maybe I am taking this a bit seriously, but the other day a UK friend was mixing Mexico and Spain in her FB. It surprises me that some people still mix countries like that!

About this thread, just reading now, dunno why there are edited posts... about the ad, I still don't like Blemish, but the music is ok with the images. And Nadal looks better than in reality I think (his face at least, never found him pretty, tho he has a great body and, what's more important, he seems to be a humble nice guy :))
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to Solo Work