Secrets of The Beehive

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Secrets of The Beehive

Postby Simonp on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:39 am

Listened to this for the first time in months last night...forgotten how wonderful it was to be honest. I can see why people would like him to do another album in this vein. His singing was spot on too.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Secrets of The Beehive

Postby Chet on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:10 am

totally agree
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Six One Cynic on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:24 pm

It would seem that most fans would say that David Sylvian was never again so personal, so correct in his production as he was on SoTB - I don't think that is true, but is certainly different than anything he has ever released and the songs are instantly recognizable and have the power to remain backdropped in your thoughts for years after the first listen.
Six One Cynic
Regular
Regular

Postby Stoobie on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Simon ~ spot on buddy ! i would love another album of this quality, especially with Sakamoto on it again

Stoobie
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:21 am

Almost every fan of DS I've ever met (aside from those that lost touch post Brilliant Trees) regard SOTB as his masterpiece. I remember talking to one guy who had, like me, just seen the Blemish concert in 2003 and was literally raging that DS wasn't still producing material like that.

I have to admit that while I like it very much it's not really my favourite and I don't quite get how much everyone else loves it so :smt017 . It's probably his most complete album - no weak tracks, a consistent sonic vision, beautifully played and arranged... September, Mother & Child, Let the Happiness In are definitely amongst my DS faves.

But it does leave me a bit cold. Six One Cynic mentioned it being very personal, but in some ways it was his first de-personalised "story-telling" album. I never really liked The Boy With The Gun for that reason. Sometimes too it verges on MOR - I find it hard to love Orpheus for that reason. Compared with the spiritual delirium of the second half of Brilliant Trees or the mystical anguish of Gone to Earth it seems to lack something. I also miss the sonic invention that has always been a mainstay of David's work.

Ok, I've admitted it! Gulp...
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby afternoonfix on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:49 pm

Best lp ever written - no doubt - I've always considered this to be Sylvians finest hour .
afternoonfix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby digimarsh on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:20 am

whenever i listen to any of the three albums we have come affectionatley to know as the 'Holy Trinity' on here i think to myself ,this his best album then i change my mind when i listen to another of those albums.
I have never subscribed to the point of view that DS should continue to release material similar to SOB ,despite it's qualiy, good artists evolve ,they create then move on.If Sylvian had continued to release SoB clone after clone we would probably be not sitting talking about him twenty odd years later .
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:44 am

digimarsh wrote:If Sylvian had continued to release SoB clone after clone we would probably be not sitting talking about him twenty odd years later .

:smt023 :smt038
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby afternoonfix on Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:31 pm

another classic album 'Excuses For Travellers' by mojave 3----nice
afternoonfix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dconnery1966 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:49 am

I do agree with you there digimarsh, he has moved on quite a bit from this Album,
i still listen to it myself, one of my favourites for sure, my 18 year old son has listened to this and Manafon
and he keep's asking me is this same person,has he moved on that much emmmmm
But you know what, he will never go back to that sort of album imho but the SBS Album was excellent with nine horses
it was a great album in my opinion, but you never know with David :lol:
all the best Dougie :wink:
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Return to Solo Work