Dusted Review of Sleepwalkers

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Dusted Review of Sleepwalkers

Postby baht habit on Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:23 pm

This recent review seems to touch on many of the fine points which are most impressive:

http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/6123

I appreciate Mr Medwin's descriptive words regarding the title track - "scorching" lyrics and in regards to the unique percussion provided by Martin Brandlmayr, "stuttering and booming"... which sum up quite well the way I happen to personally feel about the piece and how gripping it becomes every time I hear it, though I could never find the right words to express that sort of detail. Plus, such a solid breakdown on a challenging piece such as Five Lines is actually quite commendable. Even the inference that any tracks which could be perceived as 'traditional' would be deceptive is an astute assertion.
Of course, it is kind of funny that a reviewer who claims to be a 'die-hard fan' would make such a miscue and write "Manifon". :lol: Perhaps it was the editor's fault...Always blame the editor when it comes to spelling errors. :twisted:

"the disc just conjures impatience for the next Sylvian full-length."
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Dusted Review of Sleepwalkers

Postby jon abbey on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:30 pm

baht habit wrote:Of course, it is kind of funny that a reviewer who claims to be a 'die-hard fan' would make such a miscue and write "Manifon". :lol:

Marc is blind and sometimes makes spelling mistakes that the editors don't correct. He's one of the better critics around, he always does a nice job on Ersts.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:57 pm

jon abbey wrote:
baht habit wrote:Of course, it is kind of funny that a reviewer who claims to be a 'die-hard fan' would make such a miscue and write "Manifon". :lol:

Marc is blind and sometimes makes spelling mistakes that the editors don't correct. He's one of the better critics around, he always does a nice job on Ersts.

Now I really wish I had known that before I had made a stupid remark with an innocent attempt at humor.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby darkerbird on Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:41 am

Is it official that Sleepwalkers is an out-take from the Manafon sessions?
darkerbird
Regular
Regular

Postby baht habit on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:51 pm

darkerbird wrote:Is it official that Sleepwalkers is an out-take from the Manafon sessions?

Not exactly. Sleepwalkers was not recorded during any part of the three preliminary recording sessions. It was the result of file sharing between Sylvian and Martin Brandlmayr.
I figure that since Sachiko M and Toshimaru Nakamura contributed to the track, and they both took part in the session in Japan which resulted in The Greatest Living Englishman --- and that Brandlmayr is also a member of Polwechsel, who played an integral part in the creation of the material on Manafon, then it possibly could be looked upon as being created with a similar mindset...but technically it does stand apart.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:38 am

And I love it musically - Lyrics-wise I don't find it that strong tbo, but the music is fantastic - that Brandlmayer guy I would like to hear more of, preferably juxtaposed with Sachiko or Toshi or similar - great stuff!
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby darkerbird on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:34 am

baht habit wrote:
darkerbird wrote:Is it official that Sleepwalkers is an out-take from the Manafon sessions?

Not exactly. Sleepwalkers was not recorded during any part of the three preliminary recording sessions. It was the result of file sharing between Sylvian and Martin Brandlmayr.
I figure that since Sachiko M and Toshimaru Nakamura contributed to the track, and they both took part in the session in Japan which resulted in The Greatest Living Englishman --- and that Brandlmayr is also a member of Polwechsel, who played an integral part in the creation of the material on Manafon, then it possibly could be looked upon as being created with a similar mindset...but technically it does stand apart.

Yeah, I never felt it belonged on the album. Lyrically and sonically it is quite remote from the Manafon material, and as much as I like the track, I found it hard to believe it would ever have been a serious contender for the running order. Five Lines, however, would fit right in there!
darkerbird
Regular
Regular

Postby jon abbey on Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:28 pm

Adrian wrote:that Brandlmayer guy I would like to hear more of

you should check out his Erst if you haven't (031), it's a very good one. I can put it in your current order if you want and save you some money, send me a mail.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Adrian on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:13 am

Thanks Jon!
Eagerly awaiting both discs :-)
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Hi Jon

I've just been onto your site to listen to the snippets from Siewart / Brandlmayr and it sounds amazing. As someone who loves Wrapped Islands and Manafaon, is there anything else from your catalogue that you'd recommend? I enjoy Toshi Nakamura's work too, but find it harder going than the albums I've mentioned.

I know you've been asked about recommendations before, but any thoughts appreciated.

Similarly, Adrian, Baht - you've been exploring this area - any thoughts?

Many thanks

Blemished
Last edited by Blemished on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby jon abbey on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:24 pm

Blemished wrote:Hi Jon

I've just been onto your site to listen to the snippets from Siewart / Brandlmayr and it sounds amazing. As someone who loves Wrapped Islands and Manafaon, is there anything else from your catalogue that you'd recommend? I enjoy Toshi Nakamura's work too, but find it harder going than the albums I've mentioned.

I know you've best asked about recommendations before, but any thoughts appreciated.

sure, always happy to give recs. you might want to pull up the 'Erstwhile' thread from last year for further discussion, but in the meantime, you should investigate some of the other Vienna/Berlin releases I've done, all recorded at Amann Studios like Wrapped Islands and much of Manafon. the ones with Stangl and/or Kurzmann are the ones I'd recommend most highly for someone coming from your perspective, in chronological order:

008: Burkhard Stangl/Christof Kurzmann Schnee
025: Burkhard Stangl/Dieb13 eh
EL003: Burkhard Stangl/Christof Kurzmann - schnee_live
EP001: The Magic I.D. (Margareth Kammerer/Christof Kurzmann/Kai Fagaschinski/Michael Thieke) till my breath gives out
057: Kai Fagaschinski/Burkhard Stangl Musik - Ein Portrait in Sehnsucht
EP002: Burkhard Stangl/Christof Kurzmann-neuschnee

one step more 'experimental', but also all quite beautiful:

041: Keith Rowe/Axel Dörner/Franz Hautzinger A View From the Window
046-2 (double CD): four gentlemen of the guitar (Keith Rowe/Oren Ambarchi/Christian Fennesz/Toshimaru Nakamura) cloud
055: Radu Malfatti/Klaus Filip imaoto

you get a discount for buying 5 or more as detailed on the ordering page on my site, send me an e-mail if you need more info/advice.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Blemished on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:32 pm

Thanks Jon - appreciate it. :D
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby jon abbey on Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:41 pm

sure.

also, Brandlmayr is showcased to great effect in his main project, Radian. I highly recommend seeing them live if at all possible (I've probably seen them at least ten times since 1999), and for records, I'd say start with rec.extern then go to Juxtaposition (both on Thrill Jockey).
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Adrian on Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:40 am

I would like to also recommend Keith Rowe/Sachiko M. - Contact 2cd on Erstwhile - although if Nakamura is a bit rough for you maybe not - give the snippets a go by all means.
Also my album of 2009, which Jon already mentioned, Filip and Malfatti, Imaoto. And of course Jon is working on an extraordinary 3cd by Keith Rowe and Radu Malfatti, for release next year - Hope you don't mind me mentioning it here Jon.
I had already ordered the Erst31 cd and just listened to the snippets - sounds right up my street, as does the MIMEO/Tilbury disc The hands of Caravaggio, which I hope is currently finding its way through the postal system to me...
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:37 pm

Thanks Adrian - will give Imaoto a go.

I saw Nakamura play live early this year and it was an amazing experience - it's such a great and distinct sound he adds to records - but for me his work makes most sense as a live experience - it was a lot easier to get into the 'listening zone' you need to be in to appreciate what is essentially controlled feedback given a darkened room and the atmosphere and creaking chairs that an audience brings.

On Jon's recommendation I've been listening to Brandlmayr's work with the band Radian and that is really great stuff - shades of late Talk Talk and Can. They have snippets on their web site. Brandlmayr's drumming is utterly brilliant.

I hope David can do some more work with a line up that includes Fennesz and Brandlmayr. If he wanted to release some more upbeat music at some stage that would be a brilliant way to do it.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Next

Return to Solo Work