Just Off The Radar - Radio interview

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Just Off The Radar - Radio interview

Postby ScottR on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:56 pm

I'm not so sure of the manafon-redux first quarter release date. Here is an Italian interview that makes it sound further out -

http://www.davidsylvian.it/interviste/2 ... nd-antonio
Last edited by ScottR on Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:25 pm

ScottR wrote:I not so sure of the manafon-redux first quarter release date. Here is an Italian interview that makes it sound further out -

http://www.davidsylvian.it/interviste/2 ... nd-antonio

Scott, would you mind specifying the point in that interview which indicates any contradiction to the 'early 2011 / first quarter of 2011' which has been previously reported? I could be missing something which is plainly stated therein. Thanks.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ScottR on Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:56 pm

David Sylvian: I guess Five lines does hint at the work to come on Manafon to a certain extent. The work with Dai is really in its infancy...
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:28 pm

ScottR wrote:
David Sylvian: I guess Five lines does hint at the work to come on Manafon to a certain extent. The work with Dai is really in its infancy...

Thanks Scott, I now get where you are coming from.
I suppose that quote surely would be a clear indicator if that were the entirety of the discussion and that Sylvian was only planning this single project with Fujikura. But look further and take notice how Sylvian refers to 'a more expansive work to come' and 'the work ahead'. What is 'really in its infancy' is most likely the overall breadth of 'work' which Sylvian plans on creating with Fujikura.
What we will get to hear from the planned release for early 2011 are those 'miniatures' which Sylvian describes. As I had stated in an earlier post, (with the exception of one final remix/reinterpretation which Fujikura is responsible for), the recorded contributions from both sides of this collaboration have just recently been completed --- as was confirmed by Fujikura...those pieces are merely the results of this 'infancy' stage, where the two are 'testing the water' --- that is what the new material and remixes are.
From what I gather, it seems that Sylvian believes that future work between the two musicians will show stronger signs of evolution mainly due to this initial experience of learning each other's musical inclinations and preferred methods. It isn't all that much unlike the situation where Sylvian commissioned remixes from Burnt Friedman and then subsequently collaborated on Friedman's very own musical ideas as part of the Nine Horses project. Perhaps Sylvian finds a process of that sort to be helpful in some respects, as it may speed up a sense of common ground and familiarity?

Obviously, the release of this forthcoming work could be delayed by other factors - as we all know well by now, such is often the case with Samadhi Sound. :) But nothing in the full scope of the paragraph below would actually contradict the plan which had been previously stated by both participants:

David Sylvian: I guess Five lines does hint at the work to come on Manafon to a certain extent. The work with Dai is really in its infancy. We’re kind of testing the water in a variety of different contexts to clear the ground as it were for a more expansive work to come. The more we work on these miniatures, whether it’s a piece like Five Lines or a reworking of a song such as Small Metal Gods, the better defined the work ahead becomes. In a sense we’ve to narrow the field, limit the possibilities, and reveal to ourselves the framework for the project before committing to it with purpose. I’ve not had an experience of this kind with other collaborators but coming from such different backgrounds it’s important to know, and know with great clarity, that we’re speaking the same language. Yes, in affect we’re learning how to understand and interpret one another’s vocabulary.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Serotonin on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:31 pm

Wow, Serotonin, that must have been interesting to actually meet up with Fujikura. Did you attend the Super-Collider event?
And kudos to you for having the foresight to ask the most pertinent of questions. :-)

Thanks baht... and sorry, I haven't been to this site for a while. Yes, I had the chance to attend the Super-Collider event. I adore 'Five Lines' and was curious to find out more about this particular concert, although what was presented that evening was very dissimilar (in my view) to the structure of 'Five Lines'. It was quite different than anything I've seen/heard before, nevertheless quite amazing and mesmerising. After the show I decided to approach Dai, as there were other people chatting to him. When I asked him if he would sign my copy of 'Sleepwalkers', he seemed quite chuffed and pleased that I had the album. We had a little giggle, as he couldn't find a space on the cover to sign and also didn't want to spoil it!!! We decided that the best place for the ink to show would be the top half of the naked girl's photo... He then said: "Now you need to get David to sign it as well" :-D . I asked him about his work with David on the mixes of Manafon. I was going to ask also about the Gran Canaria project, but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate... besides, I had to catch my last train home! :?
Dai is a extremely sweet guy, very easy to talk to. Glad I met him.
Serotonin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Serotonin on Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:47 pm

I spoke to Dai on Nov 8th, I don't know when this interview took place, but we know our David... releases are often much later than scheduled. Also, maybe what Dai meant by 'beginning of next year' (what I assume could be anything up to May/June) was the resume (or the real start) of the work on the album.
Serotonin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ScottR on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:17 am

Oh come on baht. You draw such definite conclusions from Davids intentional vagueness. I could be wrong but what I gather from the statement is that it is a ways out. Frankly I hope it goes by the wayside along with the ScottW project. :)

What I find interesting is that no one has commented on his discussion about Mick Karn. This is his first mention of this in a public forum. I guess that interview deserves its own thread. Also, I sense that the interviewer thinks manafon is a bucket of goo too.
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:55 am

The interview does already have a thread of its own in the general discussion section.

And believe this Scott - I never draw any definite conclusions from what Sylvian says and nothing I am putting forth was based on what was said in that interview. And nothing in that interview contradicts the info I have been receiving.
Yet, as I previously wrote, we all know how Samadhi Sound can announce something and then have it delayed by months upon months due to some snafu or another. So I am not writing this in order to be arguing with you. I am simply sharing the info which I have obtained.

I have been made aware from two different sources who have been quite reliable in the past that a majority of the work for this project is now fully complete. And I've also been informed that Fujikura and one of the participants in the string quartet have also corroborated this bit of info. All that remains to be worked on is one more remix/reinterpretation to be done by Fujikura, and he plans on augmenting the string quartet with woodwinds and possibly other instruments. Sylvian has completed his parts so it seems probable that he will now move on to the mixing stage with the material that is finalized. Basically, from all that I have been told, the project is moving forward right on schedule.

....(time marches on - ten days pass)... :wink:

Update December 17th: Dai Fujikura completed his final remix, and is reported to be thrilled that Sylvian is so very enthusiastic with the results. Evidently, Sylvian is planning on working diligently enough to get this product mixed, mastered and released, so that they can focus on their full fledged collaborative project.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:13 pm

baht habit wrote:
Update December 17th: Dai Fujikura completed his final remix, and is reported to be thrilled that Sylvian is so very enthusiastic with the results. Evidently, Sylvian is planning on working diligently enough to get this product mixed, mastered and released, so that they can focus on their full fledged collaborative project.

I know that there has been a lull in the conversation around here of late, so I'm thrilled to share with everyone the little tidbit that this first collaborative effort between Sylvian and Fujikura is moving forward exactly as scheduled. The mastering stage is now complete and the design for the cover art has been created. Now all that is left is some announcement from Samadhi Sound regarding a release date and pre-orders ... mid-March? early April?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Great news Baht...thanks for passing that on.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Serotonin on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:40 pm

Blemished wrote:Great news Baht...thanks for passing that on.

I second that!!! :D
Serotonin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Solo Work