David vs the Pop Song ...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: David vs the Pop Song ...

Postby ScottR on Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:09 pm

Yes Sufjans voice will never compare with Davids. I only used him as a reference for where David could have been in regards to popularity had he taken a different path. I have tickets for a Sufjan show in a couple of weeks. Coincidentally its being held at the same venue that dS was scheduled to play on the E&N tour. Unfortunately Davids show was canceled do to lack of ticket sales (150/1300 seats sold). The Sufjan show has been sold out for weeks.

You should give Age of Adz a bit more time to sink in. It may surprise you.

one more thing to add ...sufjan is a very accomplished composer as well. this clip is from the bqe sessions from 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onG8FzAYdls

part 7 - traffic shock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6-lwYFFkCQ&feature=related
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Six One Cynic on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:35 am

Sufjan Stevens is a wonderful musician who makes amazing pop music, like David, but he's got a terrible audience...saw him in 2006 when we didn't used to wear make-up.

Needless to say I didn't belong amongst the torn jeans and waterlined pretty boys. :lol:
Six One Cynic
Regular
Regular

Postby ScottR on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Six One Cynic wrote:Sufjan Stevens is a wonderful musician who makes amazing pop music, like David, but he's got a terrible audience...saw him in 2006 when we didn't used to wear make-up.

Needless to say I didn't belong amongst the torn jeans and waterlined pretty boys. :lol:

I'm confused, are you talking about David or Sufjan? :)
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ScottR on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:58 pm

Sorry to interrupt all of this intriguing dS chatter but ... Sufjan's got it going on :)

jimmy fallon show

http://vid401.photobucket.com/albums/pp94/theaudiopervjr/sufjanstevensfallon.mp4

austin city limits

http://vimeo.com/2654773
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby humanracer on Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:38 pm

I see Sylvian's career consisting of two parts, the Virgin years (1984-2001) and then everything after. Obviously the Virgin era was when Sylvian was at his most commercial and we can some of the most commercial songs in that timeframe:

Bamboo Music (1982)
Forbidden Colours (1983)
Red Guitar (1984)
Taking The Veil (1986)
Let The Happiness In (1987)
Buoy (1987)
Pop Song (1989) an actual genuine attempt at a pop song
Heartbeat (1992)
Jean The Birdman (1993)
I surrender (1999)

As for Japan, I am too young to remember then but it seemed like they were pretty much a cult band until 82 when they exploded onto the pop scene. I think it is funny how both Hansa and Virgin released single and single, trying to compete with each other in the charts. Certainly the records were catchy enough. They weren't any less dynamic than the Yellow Magic Orchestra.
humanracer
Noob
Noob

Postby opiate on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:04 pm

humanracer wrote:Obviously the Virgin era was when Sylvian was at his most commercial and we can some of the most commercial songs in that timeframe:

Bamboo Music (1982)
Forbidden Colours (1983)
Red Guitar (1984)
Taking The Veil (1986)
Let The Happiness In (1987)
Buoy (1987)
Pop Song (1989) an actual genuine attempt at a pop song
Heartbeat (1992)
Jean The Birdman (1993)
I surrender (1999)

Eh? I don't see any of these as being mass market. They can be described as far more accessible and easy on the ear perhaps. Pop Song seems fairly tongue in cheek to me and as I understand, a sarcastic (defiant even?) response to being asked to do something more 'poppy'.

EDIT: Actually I'll concede that Bamboo Music, Forbidden Colours and Red Guitar do. There ya go.

humanracer wrote:As for Japan, I am too young to remember then but it seemed like they were pretty much a cult band until 82 when they exploded onto the pop scene. I think it is funny how both Hansa and Virgin released single and single, trying to compete with each other in the charts. Certainly the records were catchy enough. They weren't any less dynamic than the Yellow Magic Orchestra.

I think the media has portrayed Japan historically as a cult band but this isn't true. They were fighting for success and fame as much as the next band but it all happened just a little too late for them really. I would have put YMO as pretty dynamic live, something you couldn't really say about Japan (well not in the later days). However, seeing early Japan footage in the 70's makes me cringe something rotten, they really DO look like a bunch of lads that formed a school band. Bless em :)
I hear them breathing
They know what I have done, all that I've been through
I tell them secrets
And who's to say it isn't so?
opiate
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Solo Work