Five Lines

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Five Lines

Postby qdes on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:21 am

This is the first new song David that I'm not too thrilled about since.... Pollen Path?
qdes
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby triskadekaphobia on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:38 am

Not read the whole thread here and only listened to it once, but isn't it just five lines on a gravestone ?
triskadekaphobia
Regular
Regular

Postby Serotonin on Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:39 pm

Regarding the comment by Haldeman Gracie on Oct 11th at 10.39 on Jean the Birdman's lyrics.

I always imagined Jean the Birdman to be referring to the everyday struggles of that ordinary man who, despite all the knocks, never gives up, always shakes the dust and is ready to face whatever is thrown at him. He survives by sheer determination and faith in himself, even though his god, the god he was indoctrinated with as a child - and trusted at one time - has let him down so often and is probably laughing at him and is using him as a pawn on a game of "cheats".

I'm probably totally wrong, as I could never make up my mind what the verses about "bullets" and "hearts cut short" mean :?

And by the way, Jean the Birdman was played at some concerts on all the last 3 Sylvian's tours (Everything and Nothing, A Fire in the Forest and The World is Everything) ... and Jansen drummed as magnificently as always :D

Regarding Five Lines, I really haven't a clue what the lyrics mean, but enjoy the listening experience all the same.
Serotonin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:30 am

Serotonin wrote:And by the way, Jean the Birdman was played at some concerts on all the last 3 Sylvian's tours (Everything and Nothing, A Fire in the Forest and The World is Everything) ...

And the 3 tours prior to those which you mentioned: The First Day Tour in 92, The Road To Graceland Tour in 93 and Slow Fire in 95. So basically, he has performed it as a part of every tour he has undertaken since the song was written.
Believe it or not, could it very well turn out that Jean The Birdman is the one song which Sylvian has performed the most throughout his entire career?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Serotonin on Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:08 pm

baht habit wrote:
Serotonin wrote:And by the way, Jean the Birdman was played at some concerts on all the last 3 Sylvian's tours (Everything and Nothing, A Fire in the Forest and The World is Everything) ...

And the 3 tours prior to those which you mentioned: The First Day Tour in 92, The Road To Graceland Tour in 93 and Slow Fire in 95. So basically, he has performed it as a part of every tour he has undertaken since the song was written.
Believe it or not, could it very well turn out that Jean The Birdman is the one song which Sylvian has performed the most throughout his entire career?

You are quite right, although the reason why I didn't mention the 3 tours from the 90s was because member Haldeman Gracie wondered if David ever performed Jean the Birdman live with his brother in the band. Steve never played on those tours for the reasons we all know.

And yes, David seems rather fond of this song (me too!).
Serotonin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:24 pm

Serotonin wrote:
You are quite right, although the reason why I didn't mention the 3 tours from the 90s was because member Haldeman Gracie wondered if David ever performed Jean the Birdman live with his brother in the band. Steve never played on those tours for the reasons we all know.

And yes, David seems rather fond of this song (me too!).

Yes, and I apologize if my remarks seemed to go off on a tangent with any inadvertent implication that you weren't already quite aware of that which I wrote about the earlier tours.
It seems that whenever Jean The Birdman gets mentioned, I happen to stray off topic due to my being impressed with how durable and malleable the song has been over the years. There are plenty of us fans who really seemed to have liked it from the get-go, but I tend to believe that there exists enough proof that a nearly equal amount of listeners absolutely despised the song. So it always interested me how fervently Sylvian has stuck by that particular track, even as The First Day album served as the greatest polarizing factor for the fan base...of course, that was before the 21st Century with releases like Blemish and Manafon.
And as this latest song Five Lines serves to clearly indicate the direction Sylvian is following within his adaptation of contemporary orchestral music, I suppose more polarization should be expected.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:54 am

I can't say I've ever liked "Jean the birdman" and find DS's like of it quite odd. Maybe he likes it because it sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of his work.

As for Five Lines though...love it, really love it. I can see why some wouldn't but I find it very memorable and powerful. And, funnily enough given the discussions on other threads, do find it quite Scott Walker-like, albeit with the bombast levels turned down.

baht habit wrote:and as this latest song Five Lines serves to clearly indicate the direction Sylvian is following within his adaptation of contemporary orchestral music, I suppose more polarization should be expected.

I guess it will be polarising, but if you're right about direction / tone, then I for one can't wait for the reworking with Dai Fujikura to come out next year.

And I still think he will sugar the pill with some much simpler guitar based ballad material too at some stage - which judging by 'A certain slight of light' will be great too.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Previous

Return to Solo Work