Sleepwalkers on itunes

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Sleepwalkers on itunes

Postby pn on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:47 am

You can listen to snippets of the record on itunes now.

/pn
pn
Noob
Noob

Re: Sleepwalkers on itunes

Postby Chet on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:50 am

thanks for the info
that's early
I love Five Lines alrerady, beautiful... great!
I was hoping to hear the songs being slightly reworked to fit into an album structure, more than just being a compilation of work, but no, i hear no difference really;
and the nine horses tracks are meaningless I have to say
the same with Thermal and Sugarfuel
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:45 am

I can't really judge yet, but it will be nice at least to have this. I hear some tweaks here and there in the snippets, but nothing major like the E&N comp. Some of these I don't have, and some I do but was nice to hear 30 seconds from again. Put it up for pre-order already! :-)
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:48 am

can someone post the link thanks....
neonico

Postby Adrian on Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:33 am

open your itunes program, click on 'itunes store' and do a search for 'david sylvian'
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:49 am

Five Lines sounds beautiful...can't wait to hear the whole thing
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby EddieBrennan on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:29 am

Here's an alternative link for folks who dislike the iTunes interface made available by those lovely folks over at the brilliant davidsylvian.net:

http://www.davidsylvian.net/releases/regulars/2-albums/1290-sleepwalkers.html

Five Lines. Nice tease. Lovely strings. When it went silent after the word "time", my heart missed a beat. I thought David had managed to out-shorten the duration of 125 Spheres - a bizarrely mesmerising track which, despite its brevity or possible because of it, satisfies in a curious manner I can't describe. Can anyone or have I crossed threads? Sorry. I wonder what Five Lines refers to. Does anyone else have an image of rolled up bank notes, mirrors and razor blades?

Really looking forward to this release. Does anyone know anything about the cover photography? It’s striking. Well a young lad can't have enough tastefully arty cleavage in his collection! :roll: Reminds me a little of a monochrome cross between the pop song cover and a scene in Grace Jones' Slave to the Rhythm video.

Eddie
;-)
I kick the sheets until they rise like mountain ranges at my feet.
EddieBrennan
Noob
Noob

Postby Blemished on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:29 am

EddieBrennan wrote:Can anyone or have I crossed threads? Sorry. I wonder what Five Lines refers to. Does anyone else have an image of rolled up bank notes, mirrors and razor blades?

I thought it might refer to the five lines on a musical stave?

itunes snippets are such weird, arbitrary snapshots and I'm finding it very hard to make sense of the tracks so far - still not sure about the NH stuff in this context, although Playground Martyrs seems to work. Looking forward to getting the real thing.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby heartofdavid on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:12 am

EddieBrennan wrote:Does anyone know anything about the cover photography? It’s striking.

Here's a link to the "Sleepwalkers" thread, page 6 - explanation about the photographer and image towards the bottom of the page. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2027&start=75 :-)
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby EddieBrennan on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:56 am

heartofdavid, thank you. You're a star. I'd missed that post.

Ah, musical stave indeed. Good call, blemished. Possessing no discernible innate musical creativity, that obvious musical imagery did not even dawn on me. Duh. I'll go re-watch the Sound of Music to re-acquaint myself with the basic concepts. :lol: Doh a deer, well that explains the Manafon cover...

Those 125 spheres, however? Spheres of influence? Spherical patterns on the floor? I'll let it go. Ruminating upon its possible interpretation serves me well as a good sheep counting replacement to assist nodding off.

Back to the script, the Five Lines snippet certainly seems to indicate the promise of another strong vocal performance. I do very strongly feel David's voice is growing stronger with age. Mature and confident maybe? Or perhaps my ears have grown old with it. I find it immensely satisfying to a degree I can’t recall it affecting me back in his Virgin days. I've read dissenting opinions but, at the risk of sounding sycophantic and a tad pretentious – never! - to my ears its almost an instrument in itself that's time seasoning like an grand violin. I love the vocal tone, pitch and timbre on Manafon – even though it did often seem to dominate the instrumentation sometimes. Five Lines looks like a small evolutionary step on from there but on the available evidence Ithink the strings are holding their own.

Blimey, all this excitement just for one new piece. I'd love to possess official studio recordings of Bhajan, David's Praise vocal and Blue-skinned Gods. Great Live versions do exist, of course. It feels there's a volume of work we've tasted but never officially savoured and are now unlikely to know them in any other format. Were it not for the bootlegs, they would almost be entire strangers. I suppose for pre Blemish era material, David let's it go as historical works representing where he was and adding nothing to where he will go? However, where does Jacqueline fit in? David teased us with the promise of a final studio polished version. I loved its rather Nick Drake or Tim Harding feel and thought that was possibly an interesting next direction as radically tangential to Manafon as Snow Borne Sorrow was to Blemish.

Maybe Jacqueline will appear in some project sometime. Perhaps someone with David's address could drop him Five Lines or so to enquire. :mrgreen: And on that terrible finish – and having successfully analysed a 30 second snippet almost to death - I exit the competition having failed to qualify from the group stages. Typical Scot. :lol:

Eddie
I kick the sheets until they rise like mountain ranges at my feet.
EddieBrennan
Noob
Noob

Postby Stephenf on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:30 pm

I'm afraid to say i won't be bying this time....
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Solo Work