Paperback: David Sylvian Albums by Books LLC

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Paperback: David Sylvian Albums by Books LLC

Postby angel-a on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:45 am

Does anyone know about this book? Is it a collection of his lyrics?

'David Sylvian Albums: Rain Tree Crow, Everything and Nothing, Manafon, Weatherbox, Gone to Earth, Damage: Live'
Books LLC
£14.50
Paperback: 88 pages
Publisher: Unknown (5 May 2010)
Language: English
Product Dimensions: 22.4 x 15.4 x 0.6cm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Sylvian-A ... d_sxp_f_pt
Last edited by angel-a on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angel-a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Paperback: David Sylvian Albums by Books LLC

Postby Simonp on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:44 am

That's a bit weird. No information on the publisher either?
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby karnsculpture on Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:50 am

Must be some kind of fan discography, self-published? Not official because there'd be news about it posted by David's office. I don't want to risk £15 by ordering.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:04 am

I think Books Llc is an outfit that compiles Wikipedia entries in book format.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby angel-a on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:46 pm

heartofdavid wrote:I think Books Llc is an outfit that compiles Wikipedia entries in book format.

Intereting. They are publishing other books...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Llc-Books/s/qid ... Llc&page=3
angel-a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:19 pm

angel-a wrote:
heartofdavid wrote:I think Books Llc is an outfit that compiles Wikipedia entries in book format.

Intereting. They are publishing other books...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Llc-Books/s/qid ... Llc&page=3

Yes, they do. Here's another example from Amazon, with customer reviews - http://www.amazon.com/Plays-Martin-Mcdo ... 33&sr=1-25

There are loads of these books. Here's one with Mick Karn, English New Wave Musicians - http://www.amazon.com/English-New-Wave- ... 614&sr=1-3

And a couple more with David - English Musicians and People from Beckenham -
http://www.amazon.com/English-Musicians ... 39&sr=1-10
http://www.amazon.com/People-Beckenham- ... 39&sr=1-12
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby EddieBrennan on Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:54 am

Morning folks,

Very curious indeed. Whilst one really ought not to judge a book by its cover, it certainly lacks some creativity. However, for the avoidance of doubt I've committed to purchasing this and should receive it by 23 August. It's probably a swizz, but to save anyone else being similarly curious enough to waste £20.00 (including expedited dispatch), I will prepare a full review.

The first oddity is that the delivery date of 1 September (September's here again. Sipping coke and playing games... you know how it goes..) has immedaitely changed to 20 - 23 August.

If it is a rip off or a compilation of wiki entries (at 88 pages the font might be somewhat large!) I'll let you know.

I await with baited breath.

:wink:

Eddie
I kick the sheets until they rise like mountain ranges at my feet.
EddieBrennan
Noob
Noob

Postby angel-a on Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:29 am

Brave action, Eddie!

There are reviews for 'Plays by Martin Mcdonagh: The Pillowman, the Lieutenant of Inishmore, the Lonesome West, the Beauty Queen of Leenane, the Cripple of Inishmaan':
- a collection of wikipedia articles with these headings.
- Title of product is misleading. This is a catalog of the plays, not an actual collection.

and its Production description includes:
'Purchase includes free access to book updates online and a free trial membership in the publisher's book club where you can select from more than a million books without charge.'

http://www.amazon.com/Plays-Martin-Mcdo ... 33&sr=1-25

Quite curious about David version... Would be great if you can write a review at amazon when you get a copy!
angel-a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby EddieBrennan on Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:12 am

That sound you may have heard from north of Hadrian's Wall this morning, may have been bagpipes or it might have been me wailing madly in frantic anguish. The book arrived thirty minutes ago and I would have to say - avoid it like the plague. Just like LLC's other publications, it is as feared a collection of Wikipedia articles repeated word for word, spelling and grammatical errors in all. Cheap and lazy to a degree Oblomov would be proud of.LLC, incidentally, are based in Memphis, Tennessee. The sound you are hearing in the background is probably Elvis spinning in his grave!

The publisher provides a link to the online version care of

http://booksllc.net/?q=Category:David_Sylvian_Albums

which in fact is a URL redirect to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:David_Sylvian_albums

- itself the book's contents page and a list of all the chapters in the order they reprint them, very 'helpfully' alphabetically rather than chronologically. :lol: It would only have taken an office junior to re-arrange these, surely? It is entirely devoid of any graphics, finding it better to print the words "alternate cover" and "original cassette artwork" without any further elucidation. Each chapter ends with the alluring phrase "a hyperlinked version of this chapter is available at..." and then produces the most complex URL you might ever want to type.

I'll post this on the Amazon site later and may even email Wikipedia to let them know someone is using their creative commons license material for private profit. Nasty, scandalous, cheap and tawdry. (The book – not me!) Still, glad I got it; after all it's a nice reminder of that bygone innocent age when such books were the internet!!

Should you want to plumb the depths of Books LLC, why not join their "Free Book Club" by which of course they mean "free trial" then $14.99 each month - less than a montly broadband connection!! What on earth open source books are they reprinting now???

Eddie

:shock:
EddieBrennan
Noob
Noob

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:45 am

:smt038 :D
(The applause is for Eddie's review, not the book!)
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby angel-a on Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:07 am

Thank you for sharing your review, Eddie!
I wonder if Wikipedia is aware of this company... also Amazon since they are the seller of those publications.
Well, at least it will be one of the rare Sylvian's items, won't it Eddie?
angel-a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby EddieBrennan on Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:31 am

Cheers folks. It's my pleasure. You're very kind.

Now... ebay. MMM? How can I offload it. "Rare David Sylvian collectible, world exclusive printed and bound encylopedic discography. Never before available in this format. £200.00" :D No no. It's in my will. My descendants are getting this, like it or not. I can see blood shedding over it as the Manafon deluxe, Manafon Vinyl (Blimey, Granddad Eddie had a gramophone!) Ember Glance and Weatherbox are all trampled underfoot as they scramble to grab it.

angel-a - I love your positive outlook on life. A rarity indeed. :wink:

As the song says,
There were concerts and car crashes...
We can file this book under the latter!! :lol:

I really should start posting more rather than lurking. This has been fun.

Take care.

Eddie
EddieBrennan
Noob
Noob

Postby karnsculpture on Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:04 pm

Thanks for checking it out for us Eddie.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:20 am

EddieBrennan wrote:I really should start posting more rather than lurking. This has been fun.

Indeed. :smt045
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby EddieBrennan on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:46 am

Are we sitting comfortably? Brace yourselves, I complained to Amazon about Book LLC. I left the legal profession 15 years ago, but I think some of the old magic is still there..... Enjoy!

Sirs,

I wish to complain about the book seller, Books LLC., who are trading at your site.

Books LLC are printing Wikipedia materials on popular artists and selling these care of your site as original works. I recently purchased "David Sylvian Albums: Rain Tree Crow, Everything and Nothing, Manafon, Weatherbox, Gone to Earth, Damage: Live [Paperback]" It is a flimsy reprint of all of Mr Sylvian's Wikipedia entries, poorly edited and complete with all the site’s grammatical errors.

Whilst the creative commons license may permit such use, I feel Books LLC should be obliged when using your site as a showroom to describe fully and accurately the nature of their printed matter. As a printed collection of material available otherwise only in digital form, it has perhaps a snapshot curiosity value, but their claims to the book having free updates online, shows quite the devious and slippery creativity of the seasoned conman. For instance URLS provided in each chapter purportedly to http://booksllc.net/ are in fact URL redirects to the respective Wikipedia pages from which the source material is literally copied and pasted. Had I not been motivated to review the item for a David Sylvian forum, I would certainly not have purchased material that I can access freely.

There may be a demand for paperback reprints of Wikipedia pages, in which case Books LLC are be commended for servicing a niche market. If this so, I do feel strongly that the publishers of such works be compelled to disclose the precise nature of their publication’s source material, especially when displaying it through your shop window.

I strongly feel that Books LLC ought at least to be instructed to provide a candid and honest product description. It is certainly not in the spirit of open and free information that Books LLC should be permitted to trade without disclosing the true nature of the material they are proffering - indeed, holding out - as original. Their actions offend the open and free knowledge sharing ethos Jimmy Wales has established in Wikipedia as well as using your excellent trading vehicle for their dishonest profit.

May I just underline that my complaint is with Books LLC failure of accurately disclosure and not Amazon for permitting them to trade. I do appreciate the near impossible task of vetting all the sellers who utilise your service and all products offered and do understand the returns policy you offer. However, I strongly believe you will be alarmed to discover the disingenuous nature of Books LLC, and will feel obliged to take appropriate action to at the very least have them clearly disclose what exactly they are selling so as to exculpate Amazon's good name from any complicity.

For info and to establish my authenticity, you may read my review and the reaction of some of Mr Sylvian's enthusiasts care of the link:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2125

My Best Regards,

Eddie Brennan

Don't mess with a Scot born of Irish parents!!! Ye'll git it richt up ya!!! :lol: :smt021 I'm dropping something similar to Wikipedia. Weird, I never usually complain. My ex says, when it's Doctor Who or David Sylvian, I become obessessed. She must be right as I'm the one whose just bid for the Japan Ghosts vinyl clock on ebay!!!! :D
EddieBrennan
Noob
Noob

Next

Return to Solo Work