Paperback: David Sylvian Albums by Books LLC

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Paperback: David Sylvian Albums by Books LLC

Postby EddieBrennan on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:42 pm

Sorry to keep this thread alive like a bitter old dog with a dirt-covered bone. Actually, I was originally going to compare myself to Anne Robinson on Watchdog. Same difference?

I brought Books LLC to the attention of Wikipedia. They explained the legal position concerning reproducing creative commons license material from Wikipedia as follows:

Dear Eddie Brennan,

Thank you for your email.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention; the URLs and redirects ensure that attribution is given, so as long as the book is also released under the same license it is legally valid.

Yours sincerely,
Oliver Keyes

--
Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org
---
Disclaimer: all mail to this address is answered by volunteers, and responses are not to be considered an official statement of the Wikimedia Foundation. For official correspondence, please contact the Wikimedia Foundation by certified mail at the address listed on http://www.wikimediafoundation.org

So there you go. Fair enough if the license permits free reproduction with an obligation to disclose. Seems like a license to exploit the naive collector if you ask me. In addition Wiki's email disclaimer is somewhat wide-ranging, don’t you think? Here’s our response to the position but it's not to be considered as an official response. Mmm, very Lewis Carroll.

I posted a very flippant review on Amazon which I doubt they'll print. If it's not up within 48 hours, I'll post it here to give you a wee laugh. Likewise, I'll let you know if Amazon report back with a final determination. At this time they have acknowledged my complaint and they say:

Dear Customer

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

In addition to our large selection of items, one of our aims is to provide a convenient and efficient service and I realise that we have not met that standard in this case. Please accept our sincere apologies.

I understand your concern that the contents of the book you have received were from Wikipedia.

The issues that you have mentioned will be forwarded to the appropriate department for consideration. Rest assured that this issue will be taken care and resolved as soon as possible.

Thank you for sending us your comments. This kind of feedback is invaluable to us, as it helps us continue to improve our website and provide better service to all of our customers....

It goes on with a form letter about returns etc. However, I think my rest is well assured. The "appropriate department" - impressive! Sounds rather scary in itself both like the title of a Steven King novel or one all powerful nameless unit in a massive bureaucratic maze of Amazonian departmental offices!

I hope that Amazon at least get Books LLC to adequately describe what they're selling. Then I'd feel I had accomplished my crusade. "Snap out of it, Eddie," booms the voice of my conscience, “You’ve taken this all way too personally! Get out more!" ;-)

Phew. I'll sleep now. :smt015

Health, peace and happiness from Bonnie Scotland. :D
Eddie – grrr.
I kick the sheets until they rise like mountain ranges at my feet.
EddieBrennan
Noob
Noob

Postby Astronaut on Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:18 pm

Sounds like a license to print money if you ask me. Bloody disgraceful! :smt093
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby EddieBrennan on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:10 pm

My Amazon review for the above item was never printed. I did rant a bit in it, so perhaps good job. I won't bore you with it.

I was beginning to feel I had no exit strategy having kicked off my complaining. I did manage to add three tags to the item - wikipedia, wikipedia reprints, books llc wikipedia reprinters - which might alert would-be purchasers.

Amazon have written once more:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 28 August 2010 14:49
To: eddie.brennan@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: Your Amazon.co.uk Enquiry

Dear Mr Brennan

Thank you for contacting us at Amazon.co.uk and for bringing this to our attention.

I have forwarded your email with the comments from Wikipedia to the Sellers Support Department for a further
consideration.

We appreciate your feedback and once again, thank you for taking the time to inform us of this matter.

Best regards

Marcin Cieplak
Executive Customer Relations
Amazon.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk
==========================

If I hear from them again, I'll let you know. I'll bow out here. Phew.

Take care,

Eddie
EddieBrennan
Noob
Noob

Postby EddieBrennan on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:55 am

Frequently bought together. Come off it. Does anyone really think so!!! Oh no ... that's maybe me getting all riled and started up again.

Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (62.02 KiB) Viewed 5379 times

Managed to squeeze in a tiny clean review to act like a Star Trek warning beacon that it is really not in your bes interests to enter orbit around this planet and don't dare beam down!!

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 26 Aug 2010
By Eddie Brennan - See all my reviews
This review is from: David Sylvian Albums: Rain Tree Crow, Everything and Nothing, Manafon, Weatherbox, Gone to Earth, Damage: Live (Paperback)
This is a reprint - grammatical errors and all - of wikipedia articles. Excellent if you want a snapshot of what you can access for free nicely bound but cheaply copied and pasted.

Reprinting wikipedia material in this manner is legal provided the publisher quotes his source. This publisher does, inside the book but no where in this advert, which fails to disclose the nature of the source material. I submitted a complaint to both wikipedia and suggested to Amazon the item lacks content clarity. One month later it still fails to say just what it is.

Great shame all round.

Wow - I chastise rather well, eh?

Take care folks. Keep on sleepwalking.
EddieBrennan
Noob
Noob

Postby Foales Arishes on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Good on ya!... I added a comment of support to your 'review', though I doubt any of this will do much good. I have found Amazon to be a brick wall to bang your head against when making complaints about poor service/descriptions, even when something is a blatant lie... I hope I'm proved wrong in this case.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby EddieBrennan on Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:40 am

Cheers, my friend. Together we'll stop the rot. Safety in numbers. Now, if we plan to storm the Amazon UK HQ, I'm pretty slim so you best go first and I'll be right behind you to back you up with a big stick!! :D

The only good thing to say about this re Amazon is that they did offer to refund the price if I returned the item. By that stage I was almost cherishing it as a sick rare first edition from a parallel dimension!

Who knows where this crusade will take me next. Something, I’m certain. And talking of such... just noticed you can buy this book first hand for £13.50. Why do that, however, when a perfectly equally crap second hand version is selling almost £4.00 dearer at £17.01. Even more surreal if that was possible. It has that little caveat "Used - Like New” almost tempting if we didn't new just what "New" means with this company.

I must have been right back up on my high horse as a couple of days back - I even started a discussion topic - "Reprinting Wikipedia content for profit. Money for old rope?" High Horse? High 9 Horses, more like it!! Now and again that retired legal guy from 15 years ago pops out of me for a submission or two. I can't imagine anyone posting further to this. Still - at least I got it off my chest. Again.

Maybe David will be inspired by this struggle to compose something new. I'm thinking Money for All with a tiny lyrical alteration, "Money for old Rope!"

Still can't get over that "Frequently Bought Together" Right. I'll draw the line.

Take care.

Eddie
EddieBrennan
Noob
Noob

Previous

Return to Solo Work