MANAFON VINYL

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: MANAFON VINYL

Postby missouriman on Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:28 pm

I think ScottR can have his opinion and it doesn't bother me that he finds Manafon pointless. I will buy Sylvian's next release regardless of what anybody thinks. It is up to me to decide if I like it and only me. ScottR can think what he wants. I don't disagree with him entirely actually. I would be very happy if something came out along the lines of the "A certain slant of light" and "Jacqueline". I think we all would. Maybe even ScottR? :?:
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:18 pm

missouriman wrote:I think ScottR can have his opinion and it doesn't bother me that he finds Manafon pointless. I will buy Sylvian's next release regardless of what anybody thinks. It is up to me to decide if I like it and only me. ScottR can think what he wants. I don't disagree with him entirely actually. I would be very happy if something came out along the lines of the "A certain slant of light" and "Jacqueline". I think we all would. Maybe even ScottR? :?:

i found blemish a very personal and objective cd.... it had many facets...that where emotional and uplifting..

also very touching and fragile...

Manafon i found of two tracks emotional then cold without changes... unlike blemish with all its differrent facets ... manafon lacks the emotional content and repeats it self ....nothing artistically growing within this production...perhaps
due to the writing method in the 3rd person....? which makes it less personal...
Last edited by neonico on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
neonico

Postby natsume on Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:43 pm

ScottR wrote:wtf baht? you just never stop do you?

i call em like i see em. search these boards for my posts. if i like something believe me i will speak in high praise of it. when i think its a dog i'll tell you that too.

why dont you just f*ck off you prick.

How old are you? It's embarrassing to see such juvenile behavior on these boards.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby opiate on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:35 am

A little interesting piece on how vinyl is still being made before it disappears in our lifetime -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/jun/26/disappearing-acts-making-vinyl-records

Just my tuppence here and not wishing to further any argument, but I like the fact that ScottR speaks his mind. Nobody is right or wrong, it's just opinions. Nobody should be taking it personally/ rising to it/ getting the hump. Time to shake hands like gents and move on.. :|
I hear them breathing
They know what I have done, all that I've been through
I tell them secrets
And who's to say it isn't so?
opiate
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby natsume on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:52 am

I don"t mind reasoned argument either. Nobody should be calling each other pricks and telling them to f*ck off...that's just f*cking weak. This forum should be better than that.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:39 am

Let me restate quite plainly that I don't have a problem with Scott's opinion, for I respect his opinion if he does not personally enjoy something. 'Speaking one's mind' is surely not the problem here. That is not the reason for my debate with him. The problem I have is that he holds his own opinion in such a high esteem that he allows himself to belittle those who don't share the same opinion. He has some irrational contempt for those who have found enjoyment from the experimental aspects of Manafon, Blemish or the present projects that Sylvian is working on. In addition to the plenty of snide comments from him that support this observation, he appears to have inadvertently admitted it within this very same thread.
It seems that Scott joined this forum right after the release of Manafon with the full intent of disrupting any positive dialogue between those who were interested. He came out firing from the very first post. I have no doubt that he will continue with the dismissive remarks with Sylvian's next release. I simply feel that it should be very easy to express one's opinion without be derisive. Scott has no interest in being civil. He has blatantly shown that.
I'll do my very best to say no more about this. But it may be hard, because I believe Scott's modus operandi is designed mainly to provoke.

missouriman wrote:I would be very happy if something came out along the lines of the "A certain slant of light" and "Jacqueline".

On the subject of 'Jacqueline': I know that most fans would be wondering about the name Jacqueline, but any time I would listen to that track, for some reason I would find myself fixated on the first line --- "The Big Man came"....I was sure that the line reminded me of some other song but I couldn't recall which one. So there I would be wracking my brain to the point where I hardly would pay any heed to the song itself...."The Big Man came"??? .....hmmmm....what is Sylvian referring to?....had he made a similar reference in another song?....perhaps he is quoting a poem?....I knew that the line struck me as very familiar... alas, nothing concrete would come to mind....I'd let it go by that point. But this was every time I would play this track.
So the other day I was listening to Herbie Hancock's tribute to Joni Mitchell and lo and behold, the second tune is a version of Mitchell's "Edith And The Kingpin" sung by Tina Turner. The first line...."The Big Man arrived". It's a great song on a great album by Mitchell called "The Hissing Of Summer Lawns". I have my scratchy vinyl, but no victrola so it's been quite a while since I listened to that song. But there it is. Now I had my answer and I can finally give Sylvian song the attentive listen it deserves rather than obsessing on an opening line. :-)
I am not sure if I am that fond of songs like Jacqueline as a compelling direction, but if Sylvian decides to find inspiration in Mitchell's unique blend of folk and jazz and he utilizes similar alternate tunings to the degree that she does, then I would have to be on board.
To get back to the topic of Manafon, I actually consider that album to be some experimental avant garde form of old English folk music...especially in the vocal melodies and also certain subject matter of the lyrics. Due to the minimalist accompaniment, the obvious signposts of folk music are not detectable in the music but the stark nature of the music created by the electro-acoustic artists afforded Sylvian a greater range of freedom with his melodies. And to my ears, Sylvian seemed very much in tune with the acoustic elements of the improvisations and took a surprisingly folkish turn with his creative melodies.
So if he delves into folkier sounds, he'll definitely do it with his unique style so I think we'd find it all very acceptable. Sylvian has mentioned that he has found enjoyment from creating these simple 'miniatures'. Perhaps that will be a direction he possibly takes further after following through on the forthcoming projects with Dai Fujikura and the string quartet from the International Contemporary Ensemble.
Last edited by baht habit on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ScottR on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:24 am

hey matsume you should just stay out of it. baht has been hounding me since day one. yes, i overreacted but this has been going on for months. i mean just look, adrian asked him to back off and he just wont stop. my apologies to adrian and anyone else that may have been offended.

back on subject, yes I like jacqueline and certain slant a lot. i personally would dress up jacqueline with a little electronica and give it some richer textures. i guess it is a demo though.

A project that I would like to see on the dash board would be a complete record with Christian Fennesz. I think a fire in the forest is one of dS most compelling songs in recent years. i would like to hear more in this vein.
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby natsume on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:00 pm

ScottR wrote:hey matsume you should just stay out of it.

No way. I am calling you out on your lack of civility, which you have just displayed again.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:18 pm

I'm in a bit of a bad mood, so beware. BUT:

I know this thread is originally about the release of Manafon on vinyl.

However, we should, in my view, unite as a fan community as much as possible because Mick Karn is in advanced stages of cancer as you all know.

What do we want? Another thread locked? Can we all wind our necks in and combine our strengths rather than this? Is that possible? Or is it asking too much?
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:27 pm

erm; I suggested both of you give it a rest actually... :?
anyway - case closed now and back on topic, which is the vinyl version of this, to me, fantastic album... ?
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Adrian wrote:erm; I suggested both of you give it a rest actually... :?
anyway - case closed now and back on topic, which is the vinyl version of this, to me, fantastic album... ?

I think tranqulity thinking and coming together on a neutral ground would be inspiring...
neonico

Postby camphorvan on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:58 pm

Skipped a lot of the previous posts as I just don't have the time because I am so busy and important. But re vinyl; if you check out the interview with the producer of Slash's album in this months' Sound on Sound you will see there is a real call to keep vinyl/analouge by audiophiles all over. Analouge IS warmer than digital; there is no argument from me there. The advantage of digital is reduction in the surface noise of records as Syivian himself once in the same magazine 15 years previously. Even with all manner of plug in "tube" pre amps etc digital is still given away by it's harshness. So, yes there is absolutely a point for the vinyl. Plus, it's just nicer. I miss vinyl albums. I also miss Pingu but that's another story.

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Dreadbear on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:36 am

Keep cool! Matsume have all the right in his world to make his point. Baht is nothing but a bad ass spreading alot of sour vibes in this forum. Some people love Manafon, I´m one who´s not and this is just way things are and supposed to be. But Baht of course blowed his top reading my post earlier this year. To like Manafon or not is not an intellectual issue! Some music hits your heart, some don´t. Please try to be more polite. To diss Manafon is not to diss the members of this forum!

Back to the discussion about the vinyl-edition. Of course there are a lot collectors among here wich will buy all formats. And this is of course up to them do decide. When it comes to sales I´m pretty sure this is not a record which will give any economical payback. Of course its up to David to choose his artistical path and now he has chosen a way which is not lucrative I would guess.

Big up to all nice members here! I have learnt a lot from you.

/Dreadbear

ScottR wrote:hey matsume you should just stay out of it. baht has been hounding me since day one. yes, i overreacted but this has been going on for months. i mean just look, adrian asked him to back off and he just wont stop. my apologies to adrian and anyone else that may have been offended.

back on subject, yes I like jacqueline and certain slant a lot. i personally would dress up jacqueline with a little electronica and give it some richer textures. i guess it is a demo though.

A project that I would like to see on the dash board would be a complete record with Christian Fennesz. I think a fire in the forest is one of dS most compelling songs in recent years. i would like to hear more in this vein.
Dreadbear
Noob
Noob

Postby Dreadbear on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:41 am

And the question about vinyl or not. In Sweden there has been a vinyl-revival with vinyl to day standing for 20% of the total record sales! And, I really have to add, if I only were allowed to own one vinyl it would absolutely be Manafon for its amazing artwork.

Its absurd but maybe I have to buy the vinyl-edition "just" for that!

/Dreadbear
Dreadbear
Noob
Noob

Postby Simonp on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:27 am

Dreadbear wrote: Baht is nothing but a bad booty spreading alot of sour vibes in this forum.

I disagree here. Baht's contribution to the forums is one of the reasons I hang about. His posts are considered and interesting and I for one enjoy reading them
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work