"Ghosts" Accoustic...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

"Ghosts" Accoustic...

Postby Silver Moon on Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:40 pm

Hello!

I just love the video of DS playing "Ghosts" accoustic. Unfortunately the sound quality is so poor. Does anyone know where I can possibly hear a better recording of this wonderful piece? Or if there is a higher quality video available on DVD? It is one of my favorites and would just love to hear it crystal clear.

Thanks,
-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby sheisnot on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:32 pm

i don't know about "ghosts", but i'd love to find an acoustic version of "jean the birdman" recorded. he does an acoustic version on "time spent" and there's another acoustic version of it live on YouTube. i'm dying to find an mp3 of it somewhere.
It is all entirely perfect--it is as it should be.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Silver Moon on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:54 pm

Oh yes, I forgot to mention I really want that one too! I loved the way it sounded on Time Spent. If anyone out there knows where to find good recordings of these 2 beautiful songs- Please let us know!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:59 am

yes i'm with you guys on that one. I love that version of ghosts and jean the birdman.

Ok I've decided. It is a rainy summer day here. So i'm going to pop on david videos and do artwork all day :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:06 pm

Without wishing to 're-open' an old thread, did you ever see the version of "Ghosts" Sylvian performed on a U.K TV programme called Riverside (think that was the name) around 1981/82?
He did an acoustic version of "Ghosts" & "The Other Side Of Life", just him playing the guitar and singing, was breath taking!
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:17 pm

Burnsjed wrote:Without wishing to 're-open' an old thread, did you ever see the version of "Ghosts" Sylvian performed on a U.K TV programme called Riverside (think that was the name) around 1981/82?
He did an acoustic version of "Ghosts" & "The Other Side Of Life", just him playing the guitar and singing, was breath taking!

It's here on the forum in the video player (Ghosts, at least) along with many others... have a look!
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Burnsjed on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:21 pm

Thanks...memories....
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:35 pm

I'm still hunting for the Acoustic version of "The Other Side Of Life"

I have never seen it! I hope it pops up some time on Youtube or something. If I ever get ahold of it I'll put it on the player. :)

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Burnsjed on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:39 pm

I have it on a VCD somewhere, not sure if there is anyway of even getting it to you?
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cheery Cherry on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:24 pm

Burnsjed... I have read you mention a couple of times of cool Japan things that I would be interested in seeing. I would LOVE to see The Other Side... I love that song. So stop holding out on us!!!! :wink:
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:32 pm

I have absolutely 100's of Japan/Sylvian material, one of the advantages of being around when Japan were together is colecting as it happened. Could never afford to re-collect what I have at the moment.
If there is a way of getting the material from the VCD's on to the website, I will be only more then happy to provide it.
I also have VCD's of every tour, though som of the camera work on some of them, leaves a lot to be desired!
I have a box of Japan/Sylvian books and programmes from every tour, including the huge Japanese programmes from the first tours out there.
Anyone who is more technical then myslef, who can assist with the uploading of material, drop me an e-mail, or simply post instructions on here!
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cheery Cherry on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:41 pm

Is VCD like a CD/DVD? If so, you should be able to play on your computer, right? If you can, you should be able to upload it to: megaupload.com or youtube.com???
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:47 pm

I am going through them now, they quality of the first 2 discs is appaling!
They are not split into tracks, so about 45 minutes of TV appearences on both discs, predominately from TOTP & OGWT.
Will revert after going through the rest
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:03 pm

Something I have found which is much better quality is a VCD called "Preparations for a Journey". THe tracks listed are
1. Preperations For A Journey
2. The Women AT The Well
3. The Women AT The Well (version)
4. Pilentze Pee (Traditional)
5. Kalimankon Denkon (Traditional)
6. Showing The Wound (A Well To Wealth)

It is 42 minutes and 30 seconds long and directed by Sylvian and Yuka Fujii. It looks like it was shot around 82/83 given Sylvian's hair, very Brilliant Trees. Track 1 is basically video of Sylvian taking photographs and talking, with an instrumental piece playing in the background. Other tracks look very similar to Steel Cathedrals.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:28 pm

Here is a list of the Sylvian live VCD's I have with description of picture quality:

Live at the Apollo Theatre Manchester, 3rd June 1988, A little shakey.
Live on Italian TV (looks like the same session as the one in the video section, from 1988) though this last 34 minutes, not the greatest quality.
Live in Japan, Nakano Sunplaza, 26th October 1993, very nice quality.
Live at the Royal Festial Hall, 4th November 1995, audience shot, so not a very professional cameraman!
Live at the Royal Festival Hall, 15 October 2001, much better quality, though not as good as the Fripp concert.

Be back with more.

All of these are not split by tracks, so its the whole concert over 2 discs.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Solo Work