In Praise of Shamans...what happened?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

In Praise of Shamans...what happened?

Postby camphorvan on Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:18 pm

Sylvian often states 1988, the year of the tour, as the time when he started becoming all depressed and glum. I was due to attend the Oxford show but it was cancelled due to an injury with Steve's hand. Seen every tour since then save the ones in other countries (like the first Fripp one).

Anyhow, I was wondering what actually happened? Did Steve bump into a mobile or was a plate thrown at him? Does anyone actually know? The latter would correlate with Syvlian saying he became unhappy about 1988. Did he go into a frenzied meltdown on the tour. I ask because I was re-reading 80 Days which I've had for years and on the last night he thanks the band 'most of all for their support', which suggests to me he might have been a bit wobbly.

Anyone know stuff about things?

Camphor
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: In Praise of Shamans...what happened?

Postby heartofdavid on Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:40 pm

Duh, I edited my comment because I totally skipped your mention of the Eighty Days book - blind as a bat, sorry. I thought it said in there that Steve cut his hand on a cymbal...maybe I read that elsewhere.

As for what was going on with David, he had some physical problems during the tour - started it off with the flu, and collapsed at one of the Italy dates (I think it was Italy) with stomach problems, etc. - stuff that was reported in the press and mentioned in Powers' book, The Last Romantic.

I believe it was during this time that his romantic relationship with Yuka fell apart.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bern on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:42 pm

Jansen cut his hand on a cheese fondue knife
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:03 pm

Yeah I have The Last Romantic too, (which uses the word 'suitable' far, far too much).

A FONDUE KNIFE?!!
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby karnsculpture on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:53 pm

The accident definitely involved cheese. I heard at the time on tour it was a cut from a broken glass lid on a cheese platter. It was an accident rather than an incident.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Solo Work