"There were concerts and car crashes..."

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

"There were concerts and car crashes..."

Postby Simonp on Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:25 am

Is it just me or does anyone else think that when Sylvian sings this line, he sounds like he is in pain...not emotionally but physically? I'm really struggling with Sylvian's vocal delivery of late. What's happened to his once gorgeous voice??
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: "There were concerts and car crashes..."

Postby Tin Bird on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:08 pm

One thing that is very different on the new album is the way in which the vocals are recorded and processed. He is leaving his vocals much more "dry" and natural vs the reverb-drenched sound of yesteryear. He also has them mixed very loudly in the mix as compared to the quiet backing tracks which also leads to subtle imperfections being more clearly noticed. While I'm cool w the new approach, I have noticed the difference and can understand someone not appreciating it as much as the earlier, less "blemished" sound.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:39 pm

I can't be the only one here who finds his voice as, if not more, gorgeous than ever?
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Hawk on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:09 pm

I think his voice is more fragile-sounding on Manafon but I like it. Sounds like he didn't mess around with re-recordings and what we hear on the album is the first or second take, which would explain why the emotions are stronger. The line you mention, I agree, almost hurts to listen to, but I love it. For the sound of someone's voice to make my heart clench tight and crumble is both fascinating and impressive.
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby digimarsh on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:38 am

There is a certain "dryness" to his recent vocal output and in respect to the type of work he has produced it's probably a good fit.I however feel the style of vocal laid onto"Gone to Earth" for example,had a richness and quality that was superb.This for me was vocally his best period,whether due to production technique or simply vocal delivery it was stunning.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:52 am

I think it is simply the aging process and the effect of cig smoking coming home to roost. The vocal chords tighten and are less flexible and your voice changes. It is still a great voice, however 'dry' or close recorded. The lush GTE/SOTB vocals are of a quite different man.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sakurafleur on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:26 am

i would think not using it as much would make a difference too? not touring, not singing as much.
- it is as it should be -
sakurafleur
Regular
Regular

Postby camphorvan on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:59 pm

I thought the next line was 'there were gigs she'd attended...' but it's 'there were kids she'd attended' - I wondered if that was a happy accident of lyrical writeryness.

If you listen carefully you will notice a harmonic under the vocal in many passages, provided by a pitch shifting program - I have one myself in Cubase called Voice Designer - sounds very much like that, but done very subtly.

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stoobie on Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:09 am

Simonp wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else think that when Sylvian sings this line, he sounds like he is in pain...not emotionally but physically? I'm really struggling with Sylvian's vocal delivery of late. What's happened to his once gorgeous voice??

Agree Simon

I think Davids latest vocal sounds "Old man" ~ especially on "Random Acts".

Sorry !

Stoobie
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Hawk wrote:I think his voice is more fragile-sounding on Manafon but I like it. Sounds like he didn't mess around with re-recordings and what we hear on the album is the first or second take, which would explain why the emotions are stronger. The line you mention, I agree, almost hurts to listen to, but I love it. For the sound of someone's voice to make my heart clench tight and crumble is both fascinating and impressive.

i totally agree ....fragile from life experiences..and very emotive...with effect...
neonico

Return to Solo Work