The First Day - why so unpopular and criticized?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: The First Day - why so unpopular and criticized?

Postby Drake on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:00 am

soundtexture wrote:The First Day album is a brilliant all the way through. big power sound except for tracks 'bringing down the light' and 'jean the birdman' , ( contemplative calm breaks between the album). Drake, i suggest you have a listen to 'god man', esp 'pollen path' and the second half of 'all of my mothers name' for the more heavy guitar sound treatments and the rest on ' Dead Bees On A Cake or the full 'Snow Borne Sorrow' album if you like the more heavy rich sylvian sounds of Secrets Of The Behive.

Ehhh, what? Are there any "heavy" passages on Beehive and Snow Borne Sorrow?? Really don't see what you mean here. :?
Drake
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Hawk on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:28 pm

Hm that's strange I haven't listened to the whole of The First Day yet... I guess I heard God's Monkey and decided if it was all like that it wasn't really my cup of tea... Also the Fripp version of 'Gone to Earth' makes me look like this - :shock: Gods Monkey I found a bit too 'busy' - like too much going on at once. Maybe I would like it with just acoustic guitar and vocals... but that kind of ruins the whole point. The actual track 'The First Day', however, I stumbled upon by accident and it stopped me dead it was so beautiful - has to be one of my favourites along with 'Damage.' So I think I will give the album a listen now...
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby missouriman on Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:14 pm

Poor Hawk is in for a rough old time ;-)
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:37 pm

I love TFD,though i would have loved maybe a double album with the more introspective tracks that were played on the tours in Japan and Italy included though maybe i am asking too much there ! I am happy for David to lead me to places that normally i would not venture into, such is the beauty and diversity of his music. Plus David hated touring until the subsequent tour so that counts for a lot in my eyes.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Hawk on Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:40 pm

missouriman wrote:Poor Hawk is in for a rough old time ;-)

Oo-er..... :| Maybe I should have taken paracetamol first...

Actually I quite like Jean the Birdman. But the others....I'm not sure....they're fab fun tracks....but I'm not too fond of anything fab and fun at the moment... Is a bit too funky...although undeniably brilliant. I hate my music tastes sometimes.

I am glad the tour was an enlightening experience for Mr Sylvian.
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Previous

Return to Solo Work