DS - 10 least Songs

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

DS - 10 least Songs

Postby Burnsjed on Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 am

Inspire by David Sylvian - 10 songs,
Your least favourite 10 DS songs, this is kind of tough

Silver Moon
Darshan
I Surrender
Cafe Europa
Krishna Blue
Pollen Path
How Little We Need To Be Happy
Pulling Punches
A Brief Conversation Ending In Divorce
She Is Not

Don't shoot the messenger!!!
And there you stand, Making my life possible
Raise my hands up to heaven, But only you could know
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

New song

Postby tulipmania on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:27 am

I got a Google alert; shows a new DS track in a recent DJ playlist, called "Coyote"
tulipmania
Regular
Regular

Re: DS - 10 least Songs

Postby missouriman on Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:24 am

"Darshan"??????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! It is trance music. I recall spinning like a Dervish. It would release endorphins in me. I would think I was invincible. "Darshan" should be 45 minutes long.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:33 am

this reminds me of the topic Davids Worst Songs...
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:04 pm

Pulling Punches (I don't hate the track outright, but it still feels more like a Japan outtake than the start of an incredible three-album run). It taints his debut ever so slightly. With an overhaul of the rythm section it might not sound too bad.

And I'll include all but one track from his worst album project by a country mile. Even the salavaged track badly needs re-recording. And I'll chuck in another track from the session which reared its ugly head on E & N

God's Monkey
Firepower
Brightness Falls
20th Century Dreaming
Darshan
Bringing Down the Light
Blinding Light of Heaven

From Dead Bees, one track which is the closest the mature Sylvian has ever come to blind homage (Tom Waits):

Midnight Sun

Finally, my single most hated Sylvian moment. Made all the worse by the fact that it's the track most likely to be played at every concert and appear on any compilation. It's nothing but a rehash of The Pet Shop Boys' What Have I Done To Deserve This, but not as good:

Every Colour You Are - I wish this track would just die.
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby qdes on Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:53 pm

Unlistenable:

Ghosts
Pop Song

Bad:

All of My Mother's Names
Pollen Path
God's Monkey
Jean the Birdman
Maria
Pulling Punches
Buoy
Bamboo Houses

Everything and Nothing includes some horrible choices.
qdes
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby BobbyVey on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

It's obvious so far that many of u don't like Sylvian's work with Fripp. I don't understand why. Yes, it's so different from all his work, but honestly it's perfect fusion of two great but quite different artists. And it's not purely Sylvian product, so I don't think it can be listed here.
I can say one thing. The only song where David was involved and it's still hideous is Sakamoto's Zero Landmine! Unfortunately it involves and Jensen as well, so I really don't see them in this story. Were they given a seriously big check for this?

Anyway, here's my list of, should I say, song which leaves me cold or at least confused... :?
Most of them are from Bees and Blemish (not taking Manafon into account at all)
-Pulling Punches
-The Devil's own
-Alphabet Angel
-The Shining of Things
-All of My Mother Names
-Albuquerque
-Some Kind of Fool
-The Good Son
-She Is Not
-Little We Need To Be Happy

I don't say all those songs are bad, only I don't get them. Well Pulling Punches is his first step into unknown and I forgive him for that one... :)
The only song which is completely lame was, like I said, Zero Landmine...

@ Haldeman:
Oddly, yours two worst songs are actually favourites of mine, Every Colour You Are and especially Midnight Sun. Of course it's like Tom Waits but he's done a brilliant job on this genre. I love blues and also love David for his bravery to make something like this. :smt023
Last edited by BobbyVey on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobbyVey
Regular
Regular

Postby Chet on Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:37 pm

all the Nine Horses tracks
almost everything on The First Day
and more than half the songs on Dead Bees....
sorry, I know it's more than 10.
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:57 pm

"some kind of full"? A counter song to "Running on Empty"? And don't forget "A Little Weed Keeps You Happy". This forum never fails to put a smile/frown on my face.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:11 pm

I actually liked the work DS did with Fripp, be it on The First Day or his solo projects, I do have Damage on my top 10 list, really like the track First Day a lot to,
I chose Darshan on my list as, well to pick 10 was a struggle, and I didn't want to beat up on DBOAC too much, which has to be my least favourite, I was at work and din't have the Nine Horses album on my itunes, so couldn't really go through that album as closely as I would have, think something would have appeared from that.
There are not really that man tracks I dislike enough to skip, Silver Moon is deffinately 1 of those, not sure whay I really have no time for that song, also find I Surrender very tedious, though doesn't get skipped too often as I don't really listen to DBOAC that often.
To steal a phrase from 'The Fast Show' this week I have been mainly listening to Blemish and Manafon.
And there you stand, Making my life possible
Raise my hands up to heaven, But only you could know
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby BobbyVey on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:48 am

missouriman wrote:"some kind of full"? A counter song to "Running on Empty"? And don't forget "A Little Weed Keeps You Happy". This forum never fails to put a smile/frown on my face.

Yeah yeah very funny... :-D I'd like to see u writing in my language...so both of us could laugh :smt005
BobbyVey
Regular
Regular

Postby missouriman on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:47 am

BobbyVey wrote:
missouriman wrote:"some kind of full"? A counter song to "Running on Empty"? And don't forget "A Little Weed Keeps You Happy". This forum never fails to put a smile/frown on my face.

Yeah yeah very funny... :-D I'd like to see u writing in my language...so both of us could laugh :smt005

Don't be mad, BobbyVey. It put a genuine smile on my face. Not a malicious "laugh at the foreigner talking" smile. And what language would I need to be writing in? I know enough to order beer in 7 languages and how to book a room in three. And how to say no to a prostitute in two. Multi-cultural is good. We don't get none in good ole'Missouri...
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:46 pm

Ghosts "unlistenable"!? Are you in the right forum?
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby qdes on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:46 am

Tin Bird wrote:Ghosts "unlistenable"!? Are you in the right forum?

Basically I find everything Japan made unlistenable. Well, Nightporter is ok I guess. Luckily David has done few things after that... so yes, I'm in the right place for sure.
qdes
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby BobbyVey on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:29 am

I think "Ghosts" is literally the only Japan song that David actually recognizes as his valuable work from that era. Well, at least he did till 10 years ago, I wouldn't bet he thinks the same now. :-)
This fact makes it a bit peculiar and if anyone would ask me which particular song defines Sylvian to his core, I'd probably recommend 'Ghosts' as his 'guiding star' throughout many years. Of course there are many better songs out there, this one stays his the most generic piece though...
BobbyVey
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Solo Work