Manafon - the "keeper"? Or which other cd?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Manafon - the "keeper"? Or which other cd?

Postby sakurafleur on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:46 am

manafon wasn't a keeper for me - i sold my ltd edition. i played it twice and i knew it wouldn't grow on me, and i thought about all that money i had spent on something that i wouldn't look at again and that fact that somebody else could get much more pleasure from it than me. i didn't even like the artwork or the picture that had been signed.

i haven't given up on david though - i will be just as excited to hear what he does in the future, it's just that manafon wasn't for me.

it's just a matter of personal preference.
- it is as it should be -
sakurafleur
Regular
Regular

Postby neonico on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:29 pm

sakurafleur wrote:manafon wasn't a keeper for me - i sold my ltd edition. i played it twice and i knew it wouldn't grow on me, and i thought about all that money i had spent on something that i wouldn't look at again and that fact that somebody else could get much more pleasure from it than me. i didn't even like the artwork or the picture that had been signed.

i haven't given up on david though - i will be just as excited to hear what he does in the future, it's just that manafon wasn't for me.

it's just a matter of personal preference.

Even though i dont listen to it anymore and find Blemish the.... most creative thing he ever done and listem to it a hundred times i couldnt bring my self to sell my manafon dvd ....
neonico

Postby sakurafleur on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:57 am

yes, but from my perspective, what's the point of it gathering dust on a shelf somewhere, never to be played again? i'd much, much rather someone else get pleasure from it. i'm happy to think that someone out there loves it and is giving it a good home :)
sakurafleur
Regular
Regular

Postby Hawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:30 pm

As dust settles, preferences change, and old wood grows in value. ...But each to their own. There is only so much we can 'hang onto just in case' and I see sakurafleur's point. Interesting debate.
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:56 am

sakurafleur wrote:yes, but from my perspective, what's the point of it gathering dust on a shelf somewhere, never to be played again? i'd much, much rather someone else get pleasure from it. i'm happy to think that someone out there loves it and is giving it a good home :)

Leaving you full freedom to do whatever you want and in no way judging what you did, I'd just like to say that since I've bought my iPod (quite a few years now) all my cds sit on my shelves and hardly get the chance to be played on my stereo. But I love having them around, and sometimes pick them up just to look at them (even those that I don't listen to much).
A word in favour of iPods (or whatevere device you prefer): I surely would not have listened to as much music as I have listened to these past years without the iPod, so I can't but be thankful for it. I love moving about when I listen to music at home, going from one room to another, doing things, and, unless your stereo has speakers in every room, you won't enjoy your music. But the iPod gives me freedom, and, on buses and trains, it's so damn good to keep out the crap from fellow passengers and their annoying mobile phone conversations. :smt020
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sakurafleur on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:02 pm

i have an ipod (now retired) and a sony walkman mp3 player, plus various mp3 streaming devices around the house, but i just didn't like the music on manafon, and i didn't like the artwork on the ltd edition. if i want the cd again i'll just buy the regular version. unfortunately i can't wear headphones driving or around the house as i have a 15 month old that needs attention :)
sakurafleur
Regular
Regular

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:52 pm

sakurafleur wrote:unfortunately i can't wear headphones driving or around the house as i have a 15 month old that needs attention :)

Very sensible girl! :D

But won't you regret having given Manafon away when your child grows up? It could have been very useful, say, in 7 or 8 years time: "Eat your vegetables or I'll show you the dead rabbit!". Or:
SAKURAFLEUR (to the child): "Time for beddies."
CHILD: "No, mum, I wanna stay up. I'm not tired."
SAKURAFLEUR: "You don't want to go to bed?"
CHILD: "No."
SAKURAFLEUR: "Alright then, would you like me to put on some music?"
CHILD: "Yes, please, mum."
SAKURAFLEUR: "How about... this?" (pulls out the Manafon limited edition from behind her back)
CHILD (horrified at first, he starts rubbing his eyes and yawning): "Oh, I'm so tired. We'll listen to your records some other time, ok? I'd better go to sleep now. Goodnight, mum."
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sakurafleur on Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:56 pm

hahaha!

well, not far off actually... each time i put the cd on, she'd cry!
sakurafleur
Regular
Regular

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:18 pm

:lol:
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:51 am

sakurafleur wrote:hahaha!

well, not far off actually... each time i put the cd on, she'd cry!

A-ha! Now the truth is out! So THAT'S the real reason you gave Manafon the boot!! Ha! Ha! Ha! :lol:
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Dreadbear on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:53 am

But I think you will have to buy the ordinary release, throw away the cd but for god´s sake please keep the cover. One of the most beautiful covers...... ever!

/Dreadbear
Dreadbear
Noob
Noob

Postby loverofsith on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:24 pm

Gone to Earth . . . . those songs are simply awe inspiring. It is my favourite album of all.
I'd do it all again because of you . ds
loverofsith
Noob
Noob

Postby digimarsh on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:24 pm

Another world just made for two,
i swim the seas inside with you,
and like the waves without a sound,
i'll never let you down.

I know what you mean,just downloaded an expanded remastered version,from amazon(my old cd seen better days),
all the original tracks, a couple of remixs and superb sound
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stoobie on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:24 pm

loverofsith wrote:Gone to Earth . . . . those songs are simply awe inspiring. It is my favourite album of all.

Its my fav DS album too !

Stoobie :-D
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby loverofsith on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:47 am

Yeah the reissued version was quite nice, I had the original on vinyl, and after weatherbox came out, which i could never afford, I found a cd versioin in amsterdam but unfortunately with a few tracks missing... so was quite happy for the reissue.
I'd do it all again because of you . ds
loverofsith
Noob
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work