5 More Years ?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

5 More Years ?

Postby ScottR on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:00 am

What do you guys think, will it take DS another 5 years to release new material?

Lets see... we got Blemish in 03, Nine Horses in 05 :), Blemish rehash in 05 and a NH single in 06 which was leftovers from the lp. 2009 gives us Manafon :(

In my opinion thats a long time without a significant release. If it takes another 4-5 years to finish the next project, that could potentially be a 9 year drought. Kinda reminds me of waiting for Dead Bees to come out.

I think he will move much quicker... a least I certainly hope so.
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: 5 More Years ?

Postby baht habit on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:36 pm

ScottR wrote:If it takes another 4-5 years to finish the next project, that could potentially be a 9 year drought.

Obviously, I cannot accept the premise of your statement. :twisted: Besides, you failed to mention "When Loud Weather Buffeted Naoshima" which followed Nine Horses' Money For All in 2007...so that was yet another project issued only two years ago.
As for the future, it looks promising that there will indeed be a release of the material for the installation When We Return You Won't Recognise Us, either for purchase on compact disc or available as a download. So in all likelihood, we will have a new release from Sylvian at some point next year.
I have been informed that Samadhi Sound plans on releasing a good deal of product from various artists in the forthcoming year, though I haven't learned of the details yet.
Steve Jansen is also working on material, which most likely will be his second solo album on Samadhi. Sylvian may be involved in some capacity. Yet if he is strongly inspired by the material, then there is a slight chance it could possibly evolve into a Nine Horses release.
That is where things stand right now.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ScottR on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:33 pm

"When Loud Weather Buffeted Naoshima"

oh yeah forgot about that. such a memorable piece :) btw, recorded in 06

As for the future, it looks promising that there will indeed be a release of the material for the installation When We Return You Won't Recognise Us

great ... more canned air.

Steve Jansen is also working on material, which most likely will be his second solo album on Samadhi

Is this true? I have not heard anything on this subject. Steve is pretty productive so this is good news. Slope was fantastic.

Like I said... it could be at least 9 years before we get anything of substance from DS. But hey... whatever makes him happy :)
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:22 pm

ScottR wrote:
"When Loud Weather Buffeted Naoshima"

oh yeah forgot about that. such a memorable piece :) btw, recorded in 06

As for the future, it looks promising that there will indeed be a release of the material for the installation When We Return You Won't Recognise Us

great ... more canned air.

Steve Jansen is also working on material, which most likely will be his second solo album on Samadhi

Is this true? I have not heard anything on this subject. Steve is pretty productive so this is good news. Slope was fantastic.

Like I said... it could be at least 9 years before we get anything of substance from DS. But hey... whatever makes him happy :)

Okay, I now realize I made a mistake by actually attempting to engage in any discussion on this topic. I'm not sure why I bothered, because the outcome was predictable. Is this how it is always going to be with you, Scott? Should we expect nothing but whining and groaning in between snarky little remarks? I believe we all clearly understand that you will not be pleased with Sylvian's music unless he returns to a more conventional sound. I fear that you will be disgruntled for quite some time. I also fear that you will be adamant in your attempt to make us all feel as though we are inferior for actually enjoying anything which lacks the 'substance' which you require.
I apologize.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm

baht habit wrote:As for the future, it looks promising that there will indeed be a release of the material for the installation When We Return You Won't Recognise Us, either for purchase on compact disc or available as a download. So in all likelihood, we will have a new release from Sylvian at some point next year.
I have been informed that Samadhi Sound plans on releasing a good deal of product from various artists in the forthcoming year, though I haven't learned of the details yet.
Steve Jansen is also working on material, which most likely will be his second solo album on Samadhi. Sylvian may be involved in some capacity. Yet if he is strongly inspired by the material, then there is a slight chance it could possibly evolve into a Nine Horses release.

:D
Whatever it is they are working on, together or not, and whenever it's going to be released, it's good to hear Steve and Dave are working and that Samadhi is ready to release new stuff from other artists. Thanks.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ScottR on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:47 pm

I believe we all clearly understand that you will not be pleased with Sylvian's music unless he returns to a more conventional sound. I fear that you will be disgruntled for quite some time.

True and unfortunately probably true again. I just hope the Jansen project will tied me over.

I also fear that you will be adamant in your attempt to make us all feel as though we are inferior for...

Why is that? contrary opinions make you feel inferior? Sorry to hurt your feelings baht that was not my intent ...but I sense this same thing from you for not worshiping all things sylvian. And btw, whats with the devil eyes all the time?

I apologize

Not necessary. I respect and appreciate your opinion. I just dont agree you on this matter.

I honestly think he could loose what audience he has left by continuing on this path. But hey... whatever makes him happy :)
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Blemished on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:50 pm

Ah Scott...what does time matter for someone who wants to live in a Sylvian timewarp?! ;-)

Five years? Nah...Manafon was finished a while back and old Dave's been pretty productive this decade...so expect some cutting-edge soundscapes shortly...

...and probably some MOR-throwbacks like Jacqueline to keep the squares happy in a year or so...if only he HADN'T released SOTB and convinced some people that he was a balladeer...
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby BobbyVey on Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:58 am

I recon he's more afraid that his artistic muse will dry out in the meantime and that his best pieces are already behind us. I certainly hope not, I feel he is capable of creating some great and different music at least for the next 10-15 years!
BobbyVey
Regular
Regular

Postby ScottR on Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:37 am

BobbyVey wrote:I recon he's more afraid that his artistic muse will dry out in the meantime and that his best pieces are already behind us. I certainly hope not, I feel he is capable of creating some great and different music at least for the next 10-15 years!

I agree. To me his recent work seems very lazy. There is not much real effort here, no real musical composition. That would require more interaction and communication with others because lets face it, his skills are limited. He seems to be looking only inward at this time, and that is what we see in the final output. And thats fine but why put so much emphasis on such a meager effort? It took 5 years to comlete something that could have been done in a month. The artwork alone for Manafon must have cost a fortune. This is no great manifesto and at best should have been delivered as a one off, I did this in my spare time kinda of a thing. As a fan, yes I am frustrated. Because we all know he is capable of so much more.
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby BobbyVey on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:38 am

@ Scott... I really don't see with which part of my post u agree tbh, 'cause I don't quite see the connection between mine and ur opinion. Yes, I see Manafon as more or less random experiment, something more like self-analysis effort which will or won't define some future projects, but I wouldn't go so far and say he's been lazy lately. U'd be surprised how difficult can be to produce something so reduced and plain and yet still interesting and personal as Manafon is. It's not my cup of tea either, but I'm not frustrated by any means.
I'm just convinced something really great could be spawned from it.
BobbyVey
Regular
Regular

Postby ScottR on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:01 pm

I feel he is capable of creating some great and different music at least for the next 10-15 years!

Because we all know he is capable of so much more.

hmmm...sounds familiar doesnt it?

U'd be surprised how difficult can be to produce something so reduced and plain and yet still interesting and personal as Manafon is.

sorry you lost me here. I would agree with the personal part though. Especially on small metal gods.

As far as spawning something substantial, I guess that remains to be seen. I tend to think otherwise.
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ScottR on Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:10 pm

...after all, inst that what they said about Blemish?

Don't get me wrong lyrically it is as good or better than anything he has done in the past. His vocals are incredible. But musically he could have accomplished the same thing with his acoustic guitar, a laptop and a mic strategically place in the woods out behind the shed. He has spent more time justifying its existence than he did making it. A documentary for crying out loud :) This well is dry.

For some reason the phrase "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind.

okay I'm done... no really :)
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby javier on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:33 am

ScottR wrote:To me his recent work seems very lazy. There is not much real effort here, no real musical composition. That would require more interaction and communication with others because lets face it, his skills are limited. He seems to be looking only inward at this time, and that is what we see in the final output. And thats fine but why put so much emphasis on such a meager effort? It took 5 years to comlete something that could have been done in a month.

On first impressions I understand it seeming like Manafon could have been done in a month. In fact Sylvian may well have only spent a month "hands on" so to speak, or maybe even less.

The real issue here though is not how many minutes he sat in the studio, but the years of experience and thought and composition and listening and life that brought him to the point where he considered, concieved the ideas, arranged the sessions, dwelt on possibilities and finally put his vocals and production into creating the actual sounds we call Manafon.

Picasso painted some of his most highly regarded works in a matter of hours. He was a revolutionary, talented (and some would say genius) artist.
Now, many people look at a Picasso, see nothing beyond the immediate impression and say "my 5-year old could have done that". But the kids didn't do it, Picasso did.

And Sylvian did Manafon.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Return to Solo Work