Touring Manafon

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Touring Manafon

Postby Stoobie on Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:16 am

Read somewhere in an interview that Dave said he was "considering Touring Manfon", bearing in mind he drew a line under the "older" material after the WIE Tour, as he wanted closure......what could he add to the set (presuming Manafon would be played in full) which may make it an acceptable length performance ?

Any toughts on this anyone ?

Blemish ?

Stoobie :-D
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Touring Manafon

Postby barryinstockholm on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:01 am

I think he should just sit on a stool center stage with moody Japanese graphics in the background and improvise singing from the crowd noise.

A sniffle in the third row, peoples feet squeaking on the floor, a cough heard from the balcony.

And David's voice high up in the mix.

Imagine the possibilities!
barryinstockholm
Regular
Regular

Postby Bern on Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:01 am

well he toured Blemish so the precedent is there, although Manafon would be much more difficult to reproduce on stage
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:30 am

I think a performance of Manafon would be incredible. Imagine if all those contributing artists came on board for the tour and just jammed away in the background while David did his usual thing pulling it all together. Then following a performance of Manafon in its entirety they could launch into a kiss ass rocking version of Darshan..lol
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby DeMarkov on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:41 am

well, after reading the wire interview with mr. sylvian, i wouldn't expect him to tour manafon. i think it's pretty clearly stated there.
DeMarkov
Regular
Regular

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:16 pm

'there were concerts and car crashes...'

With a tour of Manafon, I think we'd get both.

Don't do it Dave.
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:44 pm

barryinstockholm wrote:I think he should just sit on a stool center stage with moody Japanese graphics in the background and improvise singing from the crowd noise.

A sniffle in the third row, peoples feet squeaking on the floor, a cough heard from the balcony.

And David's voice high up in the mix.

Imagine the possibilities!

:lol:

Going back to what Stoobie wrote, I read that interview as well (it's The Quietus one, and there's a thread with the link), but DS's words are not written down, so we don't actually know what he said. Anyway, on The Wire interview he did admit he had something in mind, but nothing to get too excited about. It'll probably be a one night stand with a select audience in a select venue somewhere in Europe. The question is: would he do something of the sort with a laptop, or would he ask musicians to improvise a new background to his not so improvised vocals?
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Solo Work