Manafon - the ultimate poll

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Manafon...

1. I love it
42%
2. I hate it
No votes
3. Its growing on me
15%
4. Not sure yet
12%
5. It's a disaster
4%
6. sylvian's masterpiece
12%
7. Our man in the forest really needs to get out more
15%

Total votes : 26

Manafon - the ultimate poll

Postby Simonp on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:19 am

Ok. Most of you will have heard it by now so it's time for a poll. Do you love it? Hate it? Is it what you were expecting? Favourite song? complaints? dislikes? Hopes?
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Manafon - the ultimate poll

Postby Simonp on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:22 am

I voted "sylvian's masterpiece" because I really do think it is. I'd be interested to know if anyone else thinks the same or indeed the complete opposite,
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:32 am

I voted for 'love it' although it may still be growing on me, who knows.

That said, I still believe that our man in the forest does need to get out get out more - just for his personal well being more than the music. It would certainly change the lyric / mood of the piece substantially even if the underlying grooves remained identical.
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby DeMarkov on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:51 am

oh it's definitely what i was expecting and i love it. no fave song, yet. only listend to it in the whole. i'm wondering, that there are still people out there waiting for Orpheus pt. 2 or another red guitar. who needs that? he already did those songs. i also loved the gig i saw on the blemish tour. my wife hated it ...hahaha, it was tough to go through without noting her vibe of refusal....but i enjoyed it, as the new album.
i'm with you, mr. sylvian!!!
DeMarkov
Regular
Regular

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:17 pm

Hey, Sime, as I'm refusing to listen to it (only heard Small Metal Gods once, and I loved it) until I get the cd from Samadhi, could you please add: "I haven't bloody got the darn thing yet!" so that I can vote too?
Cheers. :wink:
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby fletchertronics on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:41 pm

I love it. I fully expected to love it, and I do - very much so :-)

I wouldn't say it was his masterpiece yet, as those judgements are often easier to make in retrospect. Besides, I think there's even greater work to come yet from the man...

For me this is not a "difficult" album, and though it is far from easy listening who wants that mush anyway? Not me, that I'm sure of. I have listened to David's work since 1981, and the very reason I was drawn to his music was that he seldom followed the crowd or repeated himself. As someone has already said in this thread, he's done those old songs - we don't need 2nd class versions of the same thing.

Roll on the next album, which i expect to be even less 'commercial' than Manafon and more polarizing. I can't wait ;-)
fletchertronics
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby untitled on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:43 pm

I voted "Love it". It contains some amazing tracks, but I didn't vote "Sylvian's Masterpiece" because that sounded a little depressing - like his best was now over. I'd like to think he's just found his stride and will simply get even better and better :)
I found the way, by the sound of your voice.
untitled
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tracycowell on Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:33 pm

only like small metal gods, deeply disapointed with delux edition. Nothing remotely delux about it. Sorry David. :(
Ask yourself: Do I know who I am? Perform sincere self-inquiry, and find the permanent solution to all of life’s problems. — Amma
tracycowell
Regular
Regular

Postby Simonp on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:02 am

What were you expecting from the deluxe edition Becky?
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby digimarsh on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:19 am

love it, and after numerous listens , i find every track enchanting. I want more of the same please Mr Sylvian,
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:47 pm

tracycowell wrote:only like small metal gods...(

Should you ever get into the album, you might end up skipping that track altogether despite your initial feelings. That certainly happened to me with regards to Small Metal Gods. I loved it on first hearing (at the Amplified Gesture screening). Now it feels like a commercial whore of a track next to the rest of the album! Compared to The Rabbit Skinner, Small Metal Gods sounds like Sylvian's attempt to break into the Country & Western Hot 100, slowed right down to put us off the scent. He hasn't sounded like he has his knickers down around his ankles this much since Life In Tokyo!

tracycowell wrote:...deeply disapointed with delux edition. Nothing remotely delux about it. Sorry David. :(

Sorry you didn't like it (haven't seen it myself yet, although from the pics I assumed it was 2 books almost identical to the World Is Everything tour brochure in a nice slipcase). However, it's currently a seller's market with loads of people who didn't order directly now wanting them. You should be able to get your money back, if you want to that is. I suspect, though, that from next week the market could be flooded with more of these deluxe editions, signed and everything, so the time is now! I only hope that all that signing has knackered Big Dave's trigger finger!
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Adrian on Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:59 pm

No I haven't heard it yet - will pick it up tomorrow form work (which is a Sunday but I can't wait till monday) - I was away for two weeks and a big pile of pre-ordered stuff should be waiting for me - will get back to you in a month... :-)
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Solo Work