Manafon session photos

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Manafon session photos

Postby Blemished on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:35 pm

Some great photos of Manafon recording sessions now up of David's site...

Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Manafon session photos

Postby Astronaut on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:43 pm

Thank you Blemished for bringing these to our attention. Nice to see DS looking vaguely happy!
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:51 pm

thank you again for bringing this to our attention... so very nice to see.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:19 am

This one's extraordinary....would love to know what each thing is used for. Can anyone with the Amplified Gesture dvd confirm whether such things are detailed in the documentary?

javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Phil Lawton on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:09 am

J

I can have a stab:

The guitar is a Steinberger - headless and tuned at the bottom, rather than at the top (I've had many such beasts in my collection, the latest being a double-necked, heafless guitar and bass).

The cream-coloured pedal, joined to the guitar by a cream-coloured (and very short) lead is a Boss graphic-equalizer...does what it says on the tin.

Next to that is what looks like a multi-effect pedal (it might be a Roland) - possibly a phaser/flanger/distortion multi-function job.

To the left of that, the larger and lighter-blue of the two pedals is a Boss pedal again, this time a chorus effect (it doubles the signal in, detunes it very slightly and delays the duplicated signal by a millisecond or two, giving a shimmering sound).

The smaller, darker blue pedal to the left is an MXR - it looks like another graphic equalizer, but it might well be a phaser of some sort.

The left-most item is a mini-mixer (and it's made by Behringer, from what I can see).

Yes, I'm a geek.
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Chet on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:09 am

thanks phil
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:39 am

Thanks Phil from me too.
I'm now wondering what would be the cumulative effect of this:
The guitar is equalized on one channel into the mixer. On another it's distorted and chorused.
On a third something else is equalized (although it only seems like a single input or output so not sure what might be happening there...).
There's also the yellow cord on the left which disappears somewhere under the neck of the guitar, and the long red cord which loops around the top and back down under the fat end of the guitar (to where I wonder?) and a small black box at the very bottom of the photo next to the neck of the guitar.
Not to mention what appears to be an electric razor or light meter to the left of the mixer, a bizarre assortment of coloured plastic drills and a transistor radio!
And by this stage I completely give up trying to imagine what the end result would sound like!
It's perfectly clear how such a setup leads to a unique sound though, this really is sonic experimentation at its intriguing best.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby jon abbey on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:42 pm

that's my man Keith's table, ever changing. if you want to know what it sounds like, there are numerous recordings on my label (Erstwhile), which has been his primary outlet for the last decade. there are 100+ other pics of him over the years here, on my wife's Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=rowe&w=13715378%40N00
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:20 pm

Just two photos of the man himself... one a blur and the other with his back to the camera. You can always rely on Big Dave.
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Astronaut on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:35 am

Haldeman Gracie wrote:Just two photos of the man himself... one a blur and the other with his back to the camera. You can always rely on Big Dave.

:lol: Hee! Hee! Hee! How true! The man of mystery eh? But we all know what he looks like anyway so does it matter - really??? :?
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby dconnery1966 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:27 pm

Great photos there thanks for posting.
All the Best Dougie :D
dconnery1966
Obsessed