Manafon ~ it was Davids Destiny

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Manafon ~ it was Davids Destiny

Postby Stoobie on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:12 pm

No matter your opinion on Manafon ~ it was his destiny !

If you consider the tracks Gone to earth, Rain tree crow, Pop song, the good son, Dobro....then Sleepwalker and a few others along the way. David was always heading this direction, so it shouldnt be a surprise. Manafon was the album David was destined to do !

Personally i hated the samples and at one point i wasnt even going to purchase it....but now i have to say i have listened to it in the car whilst travelling in Europe this week, then on my Phone with earphones, then on the plane.....and i love most of it ! not for public hearing, not for "new" fans but .......as vader once said "its your destiny" and i belive it to be true

Stoobie :-D

May the force be with you !
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Manafon ~ it was Davids Destiny

Postby Astronaut on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:29 pm

Keep the faith Stoobie! :smt023

I haven't received my copy yet :(
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Hawk on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

I can definitely see where you're coming from :-)
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tim91 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:12 pm

as a "relatively" new solo David Sylvian fan and and unemployed 18 year old who seems to be the only one in his school not to understand how to illegally download music, I do have holes in my collection of David Sylvian albums. I have Brilliant Trees, Alchemy: An Index of Possibilities, Secrets of the Beehives, Rain Tree Crow, The First Day and Dead Bees on a Cake.
As you can tell there are holes I have yet to fill and one of them is Blemish.
When I was ordering Manafon I kept on hearing that it was Blemish part II and of coarse I had heard about (though I've never listened to ANY of the songs) how radically different Blemish was to D.S.'s other work, so I seriosly wondered if I would like Manafon.
AND I LOVE MANAFON!
Seriosly I can still hear many similarities to his other works, it's more sparse but many if not most of his earlier work was too. It's still just as beautiful, the lyrics are still as thought provoking and I don't want to sound like a jerk but I wish people would stop pretending like this is "stupid & boring (to deathhh)" crap that has no comparison to his older "better" music.
I believe Manafon is David Sylvian's natural musical evolution
and you should have seen it coming
& you should enjoy :-D
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Phil Lawton on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:24 am

Tim91 wrote: I don't want to sound like a jerk but I wish people would stop pretending like this is "stupid & boring (to deathhh)" crap that has no comparison to his older "better" music.

Who do you think was "pretending" in stating their opinions?
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby digimarsh on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:38 am

I could not agree more with the theory behind this thread, you can go back as far as tracks like "burning bridges" and then to "Ghosts" through "Brilliant trees" and then on to the stuff you mentioned its possible to hear the evolution ,so to speak
of these ideas. Good call i say.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tim91 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:12 pm

Phil Lawton wrote:
Tim91 wrote: I don't want to sound like a jerk but I wish people would stop pretending like this is "stupid & boring (to deathhh)" crap that has no comparison to his older "better" music.

Who do you think was "pretending" in stating their opinions?

sorry I didn't choose my words carefully enough and I'm sorry to be so bitter towards someone who told me that David Sylvian's music has been awful since SOTBH, which is a LIE, I don't care if that's their opinion though I shouldn't make it sound like everyone who doesn't exactly care for Manafon is wrong because they may have valid points to their opinions
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Return to Solo Work