So what's next for Sylvian..?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: So what's next for Sylvian..?

Postby Hawk on Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:00 pm

If I'm being selfish I would like him to do something completely new and different. I want to hear a new emotion, a new combination - the sound of something being born in him rather than layers shedding and dying away (much as I love his 'shedding' work and Blemish is probably one of my favourite albums)... Nine Horses is also great and I like the way I don't have to be in a particular mood to listen to it, but I also quite like it as a one-off in fear of it becoming repetetive.

But, really, wherever he goes I will follow, even if he continues to break it down - just to know that he is still creating and inspired to create is brilliant. I know they are not really comparable but I feel quite sad that Bowie seems to have suddenly vanished into thin air... I dread artist's block, but I dread even more the time when I will never escape from it...

What I think Sylvian will do next is probably a stream of instrumental work, maybe record birdsong or something?
Last edited by Hawk on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby barryinstockholm on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:29 am

My hope for Manafon was that it would take off from the starting point of Fire in the Forest...i.e. a duet album with Fennesz of electronically-tweaked tunes...instead I got The Good Son as a jumping off point.

For "modern chamber music" I would have proposed a string quartet and Fennesz...we have not heard David backed by those warm acoustic instruments. Coulda been interesting.

Oh well. So for his next project I would love some songs...beautifully constructed and arranged.

Call me old fashioned but I still feel there is a place in this world for a lovely melody. Whether it's Nine Horses or not is up to David...perhaps he can do his experimental work under his name and more song-based works under the 9H banner. I remember at one point his conception of Rain Tree Crow was an ever-changing line-up of players...

Does this mean I need Trauma Therapy?
barryinstockholm
Regular
Regular

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:24 am

Maybe he'll feel the time is right for a full re-union of Rain Tree Crow, provided they agree not to record under that name (Rain Tree Stone Crow for the next one surely?!), or that the 'Robbie Williams' of the group, who still enjoys mainstream success, agrees a return is, if not in his best interest financially or creatively, something he wants to involve himself in just for a giggle. I speak, of course, of Richard Barbieri.

My money's still on a traditional (as far as that applies to DS) pop song album.
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:47 am

barryinstockholm wrote:My hope for Manafon was that it would take off from the starting point of Fire in the Forest...i.e. a duet album with Fennesz of electronically-tweaked tunes...instead I got The Good Son as a jumping off point.

For "modern chamber music" I would have proposed a string quartet and Fennesz...we have not heard David backed by those warm acoustic instruments. Coulda been interesting.

Oh well. So for his next project I would love some songs...beautifully constructed and arranged.

Call me old fashioned but I still feel there is a place in this world for a lovely melody. Whether it's Nine Horses or not is up to David...perhaps he can do his experimental work under his name and more song-based works under the 9H banner. I remember at one point his conception of Rain Tree Crow was an ever-changing line-up of players...

Does this mean I need Trauma Therapy?

Of course you don't, barry. So fear not. You definitely happen to come across as a rational being, while exhibiting none of the criteria of any need for 'trauma therapy'.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby digimarsh on Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:19 am

I think something in the same vein as manafon,is most likely in terms of another solo project, i think he will want to explore the concepts he started with Blemish even further, there is also the possibility of revisiting the Manafon work too (aka The Good Son).
I think the prospects of another nine horses project are unlikely (but would be most welcome), i don't see him working with that combination of individuals again personally. There is also of course lots of bits and bobs knocking around and maybe he will put out something that brings some of it together.With David Sylvian you never know
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:35 am

digimarsh wrote: ...there is also the possibility of revisiting the Manafon work too (aka The Good Son).

I would expect to see something like this at the very least. It's even more likely we'll get more than one 'spin-off' album, the above and a 'Manafon sessions' CD perhaps, with Sylvian's contributions mostly removed.
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Phil Lawton on Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:53 am

You know what I like about this place? There are no Sylvian "fandom Nazis".

There is a forum for a female artiste (the name of whom shall remain under wraps for the sake of this thread) which is run like Stalag Luft 13.

No dissent, no criticism and no independent thought is allowed and the moderators never hesitate in banning any transgressors of the unwritten (but universally understood) code.

Simonp knows who I'm talking about (I think they kicked him out for something), but I'm sure he'll keep schtum.
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:51 am

I don't know what direction David will be taking after this, but I think there's a 95% of possibilities that the next album will be "When we return you won't recognize us". I'm not too sure if he'll be interested in a Manafon remixes album: I always had the feeling that Blemish took David by surprise, that his own reaction to it was panicky (sort of: 'Oh no! What have I done now?'), as if he had gone further than he had intended, so 'The Good Son Vs The Only Daughter' was needed to see if he was heading the right way. With Manafon he looks much more determined and sure of what he is doing.

P.S. Since it came out, whenever I listened to it, I've always played 'The Good Son Vs The Only Daughter' after Blemish (which I've loved from the first listen), and apart from the odd remix here and there I never liked it; last month I played it before Blemish, and the result was that Blemish stood out like Snow White among the 7 dwarfs: tall and beautiful like never before, richer in sound, melody, and arrangement. Absolutely great.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Snowborne on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:41 am

It would be great if DS wants to join Punkt (punktfestival) when they are expand to Germany,Spain and US.
In the last couple of years there have been a connection between DS and Punkt ( Russel Mills, Sweet Billy Pilgrim,
"Crime Scenes", Bang & Honore, "Amplified Gesture"), so if he wants to perform with more improvising musicians
I´m sure this would be the right concept for him.
I do wish!
Snowborne
Regular
Regular

Postby Nicrobliz on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:05 pm

barryinstockholm wrote:My hope for Manafon was that it would take off from the starting point of Fire in the Forest...i.e. a duet album with Fennesz of electronically-tweaked tunes...instead I got The Good Son as a jumping off point.

I'm in complete agreement here. But, please, no more Nine Horses (well, unless it's a lot better than 'Snow Borne Sorrow').
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sakurafleur on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:34 pm

i would love more nine horses, or in the style of. i thought it had a great mixture of emotion and wit and the music itself was so textured and lush. i think it has to be one of my favourite albums he has made. (note i said one ;))
- it is as it should be -
sakurafleur
Regular
Regular

Postby ob8 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:59 pm

Being a huge fan of synths and dance music i would like David to team up with Steve again and pursue the territory around an upbeatish electronic based album, in the vein of Was'nt I Joe ?. Maybe stick Fennesz in there for good measure along with the Japanese trio of Toshimaru Nakamura, Otomo Yoshihide and Sachiko M. Well a boy can dream.......
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:53 am

i guess he gave us a hint of what's next in giving us Jaqueline.
I think this would be a very very good direction
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Hawk on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:43 pm

Yes Jacqueline is very nice. I love the rawness of his voice.

I also think about Wasn't I Joe...probably one of my favourite pieces of music ever...and yet it seems completely in its own vein. I would be interested to see if he could make whatever it was that captivated me in that track into a style of its own...

I was thinking last night about what he could possibly do next... What hasn't he explored yet? He's done the spiritual, the natural, the romantic, the poetic, the expressive, the experimental... He's dipped into all sorts of genres... and then I wondered - has he done anything theatrical? Anything like musical theatre? Plays? Performances? Operas? Circuses? Dances? I know it's a little against his nature but so are some things he's approached in Manafon... I think... I would love to hear David's take on something like the circus or the theatre as I think it could show it in a completely different light. But I really can't imagine what he would do. Maybe 'Nightporter' was close? But I very much doubt he'll go back to that.... In one of his interviews recently he said something about Manafon being like one person on a stage...so it's a plausible progression... It sounds weird but another idea I had was that he would do an album based on animals, taking a Philip Pullman 'daemon' type approach and interpreting their unique personalities...but in a symbolic way rather than something obvious... He has done a few songs about animals before but there are so many different types it would certainly be an area I'd like to study if I were a musician.

It's amazing I literaly do not know where he could be heading and I love it that way.
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tim91 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:01 pm

Hawk wrote:
It's amazing I literaly do not know where he could be heading and I love it that way.

my thoughts exactly
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Previous

Return to Solo Work