So what's next for Sylvian..?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

So what's next for Sylvian..?

Postby Simonp on Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:08 am

So now Manafon has finally been released to somewhat mixed opinions (no surprises there) I'm sure Sylvian is keen to start on his next project. It'll be interesting to see if he chooses to continue working with some of the Manafon contributers which I think he will. Personally I'd like so see even more intimacy from our man with perhaps the next album featuring a quartet of Sylvian, Tilbury, Evan Parker and Polwechsel. I'd also like to see something more sonically dynamic from Sylvian in contrast to his most recent introspective works.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: So what's next for Sylvian..?

Postby qdes on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:32 am

A collaboration between David Sylvian, Fennesz and Harold Budd would be a dream come through for me. It'll be definitely interesting to see where he'll go from here. Another Nine Horses perhaps?
qdes
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tulipmania on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:25 am

I would expect him to release something more experimental and less commercial than Manafon. ;-)
tulipmania
Regular
Regular

Postby proggrl on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:25 am

qdes wrote: Another Nine Horses perhaps?

I can see him continuing in this current vein for some time, but I would like to see a return to the Nine Horses project as well!

A tour is just too much to hope for. :?
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:07 am

I'll go against the grain and say I think he'll do a pop album next (maybe the 'When We Return...' soundtrack will appear inbetween), with a few less accesible tracks thrown in (Dead Bees 2 then). Perhaps the talked-of 2004 Fripp track will join the recordings Sylvian plans to make later this year (per his comments on 'Jacqueline', itself not a track suggestive that the bullet is never coming back).

I'd love to see him do a full album with Fennesz though.
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby dconnery1966 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:03 am

I Hope it is another Nine Horses Project, but we will have to wait and see,you know what David is like,so you never know.
all the best Dougie :D
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby fletchertronics on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:19 am

dconnery1966 wrote:I Hope it is another Nine Horses Project...

Y'know, I hope it's not. In fact I hope Nine horses was a one-off. I'd rather he continue developing in the current vein, or veer off somewhere unexpected...

As beautifully produced as it was, Nine Horses was (for me) the most pedestrian Sylvian output in years.

As what I think he'll do next - I have no real idea, and that's the beauty of being a Sylvian fan :-) I want to be surprised, and hopefully in a good way. That said, my Spidey-sense tells me there will be an instrumental project before the next vocal album...
fletchertronics
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jon abbey on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:27 am

Simonp wrote: Personally I'd like so see even more intimacy from our man with perhaps the next album featuring a quartet of Sylvian, Tilbury, Evan Parker and Polwechsel.

Polwechsel is a quartet by itself, not a person.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dconnery1966 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:28 am

Have to disagree with you there,but everybody has there difference of opinion thats the beauty of having this Forum,as i said coming from an album like Blemish to Snow Borne Sorrow,two completely different sounding albums,thats the beauty of Sylvian.
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby FlyingPig on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:47 am

dconnery1966 wrote:I Hope it is another Nine Horses Project, but we will have to wait and see,you know what David is like,so you never know.

I also wish for this. the quotient artistry and entertainment was perfect.
He needs a girlfriend too. Our man is depressed.

P.
FlyingPig
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Phil Lawton on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:46 am

I'm hoping for a ragga/death-metal/acoustic folk/trip-hop crossover album, mebbe with The Ukelele Orchestra Of Great Britain doing some minimal instrumentation here and there and backing vocals from Stephen Fry, Jeremy Hardy and Lulu.

Or another ambient outing a la "Plight & Premonition".

Or just something with at least one memorable track would be nice.

I'm sure he won't let me down.
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Haldeman Gracie wrote:I'll go against the grain and say I think he'll do a pop album next (maybe the 'When We Return...' soundtrack will appear inbetween), with a few less accesible tracks thrown in (Dead Bees 2 then). Perhaps the talked-of 2004 Fripp track will join the recordings Sylvian plans to make later this year (per his comments on 'Jacqueline', itself not a track suggestive that the bullet is never coming back).

I'd love to see him do a full album with Fennesz though.

I think there is a good chance that the 2004 Fripp track eventually became one of the songs on Snow Borne Sorrow and Fripp's contributions were simply left out of the final mix. Fripp and percussionist Jaki Liebezeit were thanked on the credits for that release, just as guitarist Noél Akchoté and violinist Philipp Wachsmann were thanked for their unused contributions on the credits to Manafon.
As for what is next, I also hope that the next release on Samadhi Sound will be the music for 'When We Return You Won't Recognise Us'. With Butcher and Prévost involved, it would seem to be a somewhat logical successor to Manafon. A mid-2010 release date would be ideal.
Some have mentioned the possibility of a Nine Horses release in the future. I feel such a project hinges entirely on the music which Jansen is working on. Jansen would most likely be the one to initiate it and if any of his (or Friedman's) ideas tend to motivate Sylvian, then another Nine Horses cd could be a possibility.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:06 pm

baht habit wrote:I think there is a good chance that the 2004 Fripp track eventually became one of the songs on Snow Borne Sorrow and Fripp's contributions were simply left out of the final mix.

Possibly. I was only going by the comments I read on here, along the lines of Fripp describing it as a classic Sylvian ballad. There's nothing on SBS that really fits the bill (the 'ballads' tended to be Friedman tracks on that album). But yeah, maybe it was. Hope not though... always better to think that a potentially great collaboration is still to come.
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Stoobie on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:14 pm

dconnery1966 wrote:I Hope it is another Nine Horses Project, but we will have to wait and see,you know what David is like,so you never know.

Dougie

That would get my vote
:-)
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stoobie on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:07 pm

What about a Tri-athlon ?

He slowly swans into stage, so can he up the game and swim, cycle and run ?

Te he he !

Stoobie :-D
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Solo Work