Blemish / Manafon for those who cant wait...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Blemish / Manafon for those who cant wait...

Postby hitch on Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:04 pm

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: Blemish / Manafon for those who cant wait...

Postby digimarsh on Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:44 pm

thanks, still got a wait for my cd gonna have a peep, only brief, a promise,
listening now,sounds amazing, the track 'manafon'
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby hitch on Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:49 pm

digimarsh wrote:thanks, still got a wait for my cd gonna have a peep, only brief, a promise,
listening now,sounds amazing, the track 'manafon'

i was trying to wait, but... :-)
i must say i like what i hear. i think that his voice dont even need music anymore.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby digimarsh on Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:58 pm

I have read some quite negative feedback,so i was wondering, but now i am listening to something that seems quite superb.
His voice seems to get better with each passing year,pure quality.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby hitch on Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:05 pm

digimarsh wrote:I have read some quite negative feedback,so i was wondering, but now i am listening to something that seems quite superb.
His voice seems to get better with each passing year,pure quality.

there always gonna be negative and positive feedback. so far, i really enjoy his unique work. every album is like traveling in something unknown. sometimes it is familiar and pleasure other time is disturbing. but it is nice that he is making music all thoese years and for me every new album is holiday.
there is no other artist like sylvian.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby becky on Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Hey! thanks so much Hitch :smt006 - you've made my evening - It was fascinating listening to whole tracks from Manafon and I thought every piece was wonderful. I'm not sure why there's been all this criticism of the musicians input being inaudible, I thought it was pretty mesmerising - especially the beginning of Manafon, breathtaking - you could really hear the subtle communication between the musicians and I felt the balance between the music and vocals worked really well. I am so looking forward to hearing the whole album! :D
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby hitch on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:25 pm

Becky,
i have send you PM.
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:33 pm

I think it's awesome that this sneak preview was made available to those who haven't heard the full release yet. That being said, why or why does Manafon continue to be lumped in with Blemish? Why play The Only Daughter, Blemish and She Is Not amongst 6 songs from Manafon? Why excise the 3 remaining tracks from Manafon in favor of songs from 2003?
Thanks to Chet, I've been incessantly listening to Manafon for the past few weeks and while I'm listening to this wonderous material, not once do I feel the compulsion to compare it with the contents of Blemish. And I am baffled why this latest project is not being afforded the opportunity to stand on its own....press releases, interviews, articles, reviews, and now a sneak preview.... Is this how it is going to be? Will Manafon be destined to unjustly remain under the shadow of Blemish?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby becky on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:46 pm

Yes, Baht I too thought it was bit of a weird choice to play Manafon & Blemsih tracks alternately..BUT aurally I found it quite fascinating from the perspective that to hear them side by side made the contrast/difference between them all the more apparent and startling - there's no way you could simply lump the two together...they are SO different...and now I've heard full tracks I can really appreciate how Sylvian has indeed moved on in his approach to the creative process and the utilisation of improv...I love it...it's beautiful. Blemish is beautiful too but Manafon is a whole new ball game!
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby hitch on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:55 pm

manafon really sound like couple steps forward into unknown. and i like this kind of surprise.
i came long way with sylvian music, since 1980. it is a great voyage.
he made soundtrack of my life :-)
hitch
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby digimarsh on Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:59 am

I decided not to listen to all the material available via the link, i want to wait now for the album to arrive.
Manafon in full was amazing , compelling and suprisingly rich considering some of the reviews i have seen, the intro took
me by suprise especially.
I agree that it is a blessing that David is still motivated to release new material after all these years and also that he continues to push back the boundries even further.When you look back at all the diverse things he has recorded during his career,you have to marvel at the genius of the man,i feel this will be another landmark release i am sure.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:14 pm

digimarsh wrote:Manafon in full was amazing , compelling and suprisingly rich considering some of the reviews i have seen, the intro took
me by suprise especially.

Are you referring to the actual 1:20 intro of the song Manafon, or are you perhaps referring to the instrumental piece, The Department Of Dead Letters, which preceeds the title track on the cd and also which, according to the list of songs, appears to have been played before Manafon on this sneak preview?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby digimarsh on Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:17 pm

i do not have the cd yet so i probably mean the'department' portion of the sneak preview ,and not being aquainted with the work yet i presumed it was all one track,brilliant whatever it was
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Phil Lawton on Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:23 pm

I'm not listening to anything but the CD when it arrives.

Didn't know I had so much will-power.
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby digimarsh on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:16 am

Phil Lawton wrote:I'm not listening to anything but the CD when it arrives.

Didn't know I had so much will-power.

You must have buckets of it mate, when the link appeared on this thread i was trying to resist it but had to have a listen to at least 1 track, i want my first audition of the cd to have a big impact but with samples and such like only a click away it's tempting,eapecially with so much being written about it. When you stick your cd on for the 1st time you will be 'blown away',being as you have not heard any of it yet.
headphones and darkened room maybe.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Solo Work