Amplified Gesture - a missed opportunity

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Amplified Gesture - a missed opportunity

Postby Simonp on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:42 am

Now I may be jumping the gun here a little considering I haven't seen the film yet and I'm sure what's on there will be an excellent introduction to the musicians who contributed to Manafon BUT does anyone else feel that this would have been so much better had Sylvian appeared in it himself discussing Manafon, the music, themes etc. Even a few shots of him recording vocals etc would've been wonderful. Am i just moaning again?

S
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Amplified Gesture - a missed opportunity

Postby dconnery1966 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:06 am

No Simon i totally agree with you there,i dont understand why David is not in Amplified Gesture strange really , maybe he had good reason,but i guess we will never know.
all the best Dougie.
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby barryinstockholm on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:28 am

I agree with you Simon 110%...and his absence is why I won't be buying the deluxe edition...even though I want the book of lyrics to go with my Trophy collections.
barryinstockholm
Regular
Regular

Postby baht habit on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:43 am

As Sylvian wrote on his website:
"I decided it might be of interest to create a companion film, documenting the backgrounds, opinions, and philosophies of those who took part in these, and later, recording sessions. An introduction to this remarkable group of individuals who've pursued the less trodden path where music and free improvisation are concerned. We commissioned film maker Phil Hopkins to direct and what we have as a result is a generous introduction to the artists in question. "

It makes perfect sense that Hopkins didn't include Sylvian since he does not perform within the framework of electro-acoustic improvisation - and the film is not about Manafon. In commisioning this film, Sylvian had specific goals in mind, which are clearly defined in the statement above. He's allowed the opportunity for the players to speak for themselves, to inform listeners what makes them tick, so to speak...so I don't believe it's a missed opportunity.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:02 pm

I agree with Baht.
I'm probably wrong in thinking this, but I have the feeling that if David had been in the film, Samadhi would have certainly received plenty more orders for the deluxe edition, but many fans (not all, of course, but many) would have worn the fast-forward button on their remote control just to see and hear David, and the whole project (giving voice to the improv artists) would have become meaningless.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:00 pm

I'll chip in my two cents after next week's premiere at the ICA! :D . Might have seemed too much of a vanity project if he'd have been in it too - think it's a very admirable gesture to the improv gurus...
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby fletchertronics on Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:12 pm

Baht & Inkinthewell, I'm in total agreement with you both on this.
fletchertronics
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby neonico on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:09 pm

I have to be honest i bought the delux edition because of the signed foto from sylvian.....

and when i post its just for fun guys...

i never meant to harm or insult anyone ...

just wanted to make us laugh a bit with the waiting thing......
neonico

Postby neonico on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:12 pm

inkinthewell wrote:I agree with Baht.
I'm probably wrong in thinking this, but I have the feeling that if David had been in the film, Samadhi would have certainly received plenty more orders for the deluxe edition, but many fans (not all, of course, but many) would have worn the fast-forward button on their remote control just to see and hear David, and the whole project (giving voice to the improv artists) would have become meaningless.

and i adree with you inkinthewell but thats just david.....
neonico

Postby Simonp on Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:06 am

Posted on John Butcher's website -

DAVID SYLVIAN / amplified gesture
Manifon, Sylvian's long awaited recording involving musicians such as Keith Rowe, Evan Parker and Toshimaru Nakamura will be released next month.
The delux edition includes a DVD of interviews with the participants, plus a few others (myself included) who played a session earlier in the year for Sylvian's installation When we return you won't recognise us
The film has its premier at the ICA on Sept 14.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nicrobliz on Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:54 am

The film's premiere on the same day that Manafon's released was an utterly stupid idea. As a result, I decided not to attend the ICA premiere. I mean, which option would most David Sylvian fans (living in London) prefer - attend a 'making of the album' documentary or stay at home listening to their newly purchased copy of Manafon?

It should have premiered a week or two ago, IMHO.
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Blemished on Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:44 am

Nicrobliz wrote: It should have premiered a week or two ago, IMHO.

You are probably right. Even so It was a good evening - David Toop gave a great introduction and the film has some excellent contributions from Parker, Prevost and Rowe in particular. Some of the great & good of Sylvian land were there - Yuka Fujii, Adrian Molloy...wonderful to hear SMG & Manafon from cinema speakers.

And I wish I did have my proper copy of Manafon to listen to! Still hasn't turned up yet, even though it's shipped! Been forced to complete the hat trick - standard, deluxe and now download too. Madness... :shock:
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Nicrobliz on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:55 pm

Blemished wrote:You are probably right. Even so It was a good evening - David Toop gave a great introduction and the film has some excellent contributions from Parker, Prevost and Rowe in particular. Some of the great & good of Sylvian land were there - Yuka Fujii, Adrian Molloy...wonderful to hear SMG & Manafon from cinema speakers.

Was there a good turn out, Blemished? I simply couldn't be bothered to travel all the way to West London, straight after work, to find out.
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:28 am

Nicrobliz wrote:Was there a good turn out, Blemished? I simply couldn't be bothered to travel all the way to West London, straight after work, to find out.

It was full, but a relatively small screen and tickets were still available up until the day.

Although I questioned the wisdom of showing it on release day (never mind at all), the film worked well on the big(ish) screen. I also thought it was odd before seeing it that Sylvian / Manafon weren't so much as mentioned, and that maybe this was another 'Red Guitar isn't going in my retrospective' moment. But once you've watched the thing, you know how out of place DS would have been had he featured. It was very well made / edited, with solid contributions from all of the participants.

I thought it was worth going. I enjoyed the David Toop opening and the director Q & A. Wish I knew exactly which audience member Yuka Fujii was though. I've been hearing her name for the bets part of 30 years and don't think I've even seen a proper photograph.
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby thricegreat on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:42 am

Yuka was sat a couple of seats away from David Toop - she's easily recognisable as there aren't that many Japanese ladies of a certain age with dyed strawberry blonde hair! She's also very petite - barely 5ft....dresses like an art student and radiates a quiet beauty still.....
thricegreat
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Solo Work