Trauma Therapy may be necessary....

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Trauma Therapy may be necessary....

Postby Bern on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:07 am

so Tracy you have it on "good authority" that Sylvian frequents this forum, personally I can't see it do you want to elaborate?
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tracycowell on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:22 am

Bern wrote:so Tracy you have it on "good authority" that Sylvian frequents this forum, personally I can't see it do you want to elaborate?

Sorry, can't elaborate, but I'm interested in why you think he wouldn't. Lots of artists are interested in what fans are saying, he is absolutely NO different, believe me. David has a big ego which needs to be fed....opps I've said too much :wink:
Ask yourself: Do I know who I am? Perform sincere self-inquiry, and find the permanent solution to all of life’s problems. — Amma
tracycowell
Regular
Regular

Postby digimarsh on Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:27 pm

I think it,s almost inevitable that he takes a look at this forum .In recent interviews he has touched on the fact that opinion is divided amongst his followers in respect to manafon, he must have come to that conclusion with some level of research,don't you think.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ScottR on Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:42 pm

However I do have it on good authority that he does frequent this forum! :-)

nope... Chadwick does though.
ScottR
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:50 pm

Ok, break's over. Now back on topic :
>>>The day the music died
I don't harp on about David's previous albums nor do I live in an 80's tinted whirl of nastalgia. What I do enjoy is music that holds somekind of melodic or rhythmic interest, this album has neither. I am not opposed to challenging music as long as repeated listens bring forth something worthwhile, this does not. Unfortunately the scales have fallen from my eyes regarding Mr Sylvian, lyrically he is still ploughing the same old pseudo mystical furrow and as for the music, what the heck has happened. It seems to me that anything approaching a tune is rejected in favour of discordant runs and twiddling. David get a grip and start writing some listenable music. Cue Sylvianites everywhere to shoot me down in flames........................<<<

Lyrics - "same old pseudo mystical furrow"? There must be some mistake. What's so mystical about writing of losing one's spiritual center, terrorism, drug addiction, etc.?
"Sylvianites"? Maybe that one will catch on around here. No need to debate topics anymore, just call anyone you disagree with a Sylvianite. :-D
The chosen title & the command personally directed at Sylvian (by first name, no less! :-) ) surely must qualify this fan for some good old fashioned 'trauma therapy'. :twisted:
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Jackal on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:28 pm

For what it's worth, my two penneth.
I'm not one to analyse the content of songs (I take most of it as guesswork/b*ll*x anyway :twisted: ) but I do know what I like and what I don't like, and I don't like the direction Sylvian is taking these days.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not hankering for the past and I love firing up the old Phonogram and giving Blemish a blast but I'm afraid Manafon leaves me cold. For me it's one step too far from what I like and if he continues that way I can't buy any more of his material (no, I don't believe in continuing to show 'support' for an artist in the hope they'll record something I like!)
I just hope the man has a good pension scheme because (IMHO) if he continues in this way I think he's heading down that path of ever diminishing returns in both cash and fans.

And before the psuedo-intellectuals start - I'm not suggesting he writes something easier on the ear to appease his fans or bring home the bacon. It's just my take on how I feel about the direction he's taking.

Now....where is that shortcut to the Westlife site again??
Jackal
Regular
Regular

Postby Jackal on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:12 pm

soundtexture wrote:that's fair enough Jackal. we all have our opinions and i guess yours is as good as any. nevertheless, i had the same thoughts when i bought Gone To Earth and found the album a very hard listen. . . . it was only after repeated listens that i began to appreciate the album as a whole. of course you may not agree that the same will happen for you with Manafon and of course it comes down to 'taste'; and you may not even like GTE, nevertheless, i like the way sylvian challenges 'his' audience. for me ...he's the last of the few true teachers of popular sound we have in the uk and without sounding too big headed; i'm aware of what's happening here in the experimental scene's in the uk/europe . . Manafon, though not too underground, is a good example for ears that are not tuned in. it will be another classic.

'tis only Manafon I don't like....I like all his previous work. As for giving it repeated listening......I'm losing patience as I age and no longer feel as though I should have to resort to that in order to appreciate a 'difficult' (to me) piece of work.
I guess that's the simpleton in me, lol.
Jackal
Regular
Regular

Postby BobbyVey on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:22 am

We're living in a very speed-up world and very few of us got enough time to listen to something that leaves us completely cold, only to find out somewhere in the future if it's any good or not. If music can't hold my attention most of the time and I have to push myself to actually listen to it in the first place, then I consider this a waste of time. This never happened with any previous Sylvian work before, not even Blemish. Like someone said, one step too far for me. I only hope this step was not over the edge, so he will come back among us, mortal souls.... :-D
Excuse me for being so shallow... :roll:
BobbyVey
Regular
Regular

Postby digimarsh on Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:08 pm

Don't you find though that if you like something instantly that it lacks lasting appeal, a journey of discovery that at the end is a pot of gold, thats what Manafon is.You may enter a bar and instantly notice the blonde girl with all the make up and the short skirt and be tempted for a short while to indulge ,but look a bit harder and the sultery brunette in the corner will win your heart forever. Beauty has its origin in fascination and mystery.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bern on Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:24 pm

I think I fancy a pub crawl with digimarsh
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:36 pm

Bern wrote:I think I fancy a pub crawl with digimarsh

:lol:
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:12 pm

Okay, this is a very good discussion. But there is surely no need to label people 'pseudo-intellectuals' or declare oneself 'shallow' or a 'simpleton'. I tend to think that everyone who has remained interested in Sylvian's music over the years has to have a high intelligence level to some degree.
And I want to reiterate that I completely respect the directness and the even-keeled reasoning of those fans who have expressed that they do not prefer to keep on listening to the contents of Manafon. No one should be made to feel as though they are expected to work on enjoying music if they aren't liking it. Everyone comes to certain music for different reasons. And if they don't get out of it what they want, it is only logical to move on to something that does serve to give them what they want.
That being said, I think we can all agree that it is irrational to get all hopped up and angry and then begrudge an artist's choice in direction if it doesn't happen to jibe with what we enjoy. I tend to believe that the majority of people on this forum are highly rational and the proof is evident from the number of posts explaining how they are choosing to simply move on.
The posts I have been spotlighting are obviously from people who are the exact opposite of the exceptional people on this forum. :-)
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby BobbyVey on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:33 pm

digimarsh wrote:....You may enter a bar and instantly notice the blonde girl with all the make up and the short skirt and be tempted for a short while to indulge ,but look a bit harder and the sultery brunette in the corner will win your heart forever. Beauty has its origin in fascination and mystery.

lol u didn't quite understand my point. I don't want to love anything instantly. I only want the music to have at least something that will touch me in any way to keep me listening, on and on. I gave Manafon a chance to do that for more than a dozen times and besides some nice vocals and lyrics, he failed to give me the atmosphere that he is well known for. Not some particular kind of atmosphere some would expect from him, but any that would give me some kind of relish...consequently, mission failed....at least for now. Maybe I shall evolve in some time as well, who knows....
and btw, I would certainly pass by the blonde's short skirt and go straight to the brunette in the dark corner... :smt004 :smt007 but she would have to give me at least something I could work with...if u know what I mean :-)

@baht habit: noone here is mad at Sylvian for what he's doing right now, we only discuss his current work, that's all. I still have all the faith in him, waiting for his next move, maybe even based on Manafon, only in some more elaborated shape...
BobbyVey
Regular
Regular

Postby baht habit on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:58 pm

BobbyVey wrote:
digimarsh wrote:@baht habit: noone here is mad at Sylvian for what he's doing right now, we only discuss his current work, that's all. I still have all the faith in him, waiting for his next move, maybe even based on Manafon, only in some more elaborated shape...

Bobby, I know that no one on this forum would be angry at Sylvian for following his chosen musical path, which is what I was trying to get across with my previous post.
But with this thread, I have documented the obvious anger which is evident from many disgruntled fans who are acting irrationally. Thankfully, no one here seems to be fitting into that category.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Jackal on Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:41 pm

BobbyVey wrote:
digimarsh wrote:....You may enter a bar and instantly notice the blonde girl with all the make up and the short skirt and be tempted for a short while to indulge ,but look a bit harder and the sultery brunette in the corner will win your heart forever. Beauty has its origin in fascination and mystery.

Hey!!! My wife is blonde. And as I recall she was wearing a short skirt when I first saw her......27yrs ago now :lol:
Beauty is, as they say, in the eye of the beholder.
Jackal
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work