Manafon receives 4 star review in Mojo magazine

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Manafon receives 4 star review in Mojo magazine

Postby Simonp on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:32 am

Sylvian and heavyweight free improvisers make a most original album

Manafon finds Sylvian so far out from his former life as a pop star that, like Scott Walker, he is hanging onto it by the slenderest thread. It also shows 2003's Blemish - featuring the astringent lines of improvising guitarist Derek Bailey - were no mere aberration. Here Sylvian sings against spartan group improvisations by the likes of saxophonist Evan Parker, AMM pianist John Tilbury and electronist Christian Fennesz. Initially baffling, Manafon richly repays further decktime. Sylvian's gorgeous creamy voice drifts calmly across a fidgety soundworld which includes his own fragmentary acoustic guitar and keyboards. At times it feels as though voice and instruments are completely disassociated, at other times oddly concordant. The melodies are tightly written though, and the lyrics carry some vivid pictorial images, like the requiem for the enigmatic Rabbit Skinner and the terrorist cell of Random Acts of Senseless Violence

4 Stars
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Manafon receives 4 star review in Mojo magazine

Postby digimarsh on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:37 am

sounds like we are in for a treat,
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Manafon receives 4 star review in Mojo magazine

Postby inkinthewell on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:18 pm

MojoMagazine wrote:oddly concordant

Doesn't that sound great?
Earlier today I was thinking: "What if a car runs me over or if a building crumbles on me or Godzilla gobbles me up before I get my Manafon Deluxe edition? Man, would I get mad! And knowing that it should have been released last year, I'd be really angry with David Sylvian!!! I'd come back as a ghost and scare the shit out of him. Plus, I wouldn't buy anymore of his records. :twisted:"
After having read this beautiful review the feeling's back on me: will I still be here on the 14th of September? And if I will, how many more weeks will I have to survive waiting for Samadhi to deliver? :lol:

Thanks Simon.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Solo Work